Lord Jade Cross

paralibrarian

Yes. The drudgery is really wearing on me lately. It seems endless. I'm having almost zero joy lately. It's bad.

no-longer-in-use

Yep, I often get caught up in musing about what the point is to life when we're all going to die and our accomplishments will be forgotten eventually. I just try not to think about it most of the time.

my answer to this is typically to break out of the loop whenever possible. do something, anything, outside of your day to day norm. get out of the house, find things to do, things to see, try, learn, etc. meet people, talk to strangers. if you allow yourself to become a victim of the routine, it will certainly feel pointless and you won't find anything to enjoy or make the bs worth it. 

Galactic Turtle

I think about that for other people. For all my friends I have no idea how they put up with it. For me life is kinda crazy and my friends in turn wonder how I put up with it. I assume different people like different paces and if you're lucky, you've hit the pace that works best for you.

Aimeendfire

That’s why I turned to minimalism. We are working to be debt free in order to go live in the mountains with the cow bears.

I'm not sure if I completely understand what you others are talking about, but the notion of working full time I definitely don't like, the "live to work and work to live".

I've kind of planned my future to be able to avoid that. I don't want to work 40h/week until I'm 65-67. I would probably feel differently if I loved my job, but honestly I don't think I ever will.

People try to keep you working full time here by saying things like "you need to work full time to be able to live after 65 when you retire!", and there's even talk about raising the retiring age to 70! Might very well happen in the next 40 years, what if I die before that? I would've worked my life away, literally.

No, I'm planning on working full time for maybe 10-15 years, that would make me enough money to pay all my debts, and would give me some nice savings so that I can buy a house and adapt it to my needs, while still having money left over to store in some safe fund with yield. I could work maybe 2 days/week after this, I don't think I would mind that.

Then, by the time I retire (if I do live that long) I live in a cheap house, grow most of my food myself, get money from that fund + some retirement money.

Best thing with all this would be to have plenty of time for my own activities of choice.

I suppose I could exit the loop faster than this, just ignore money all together and run away to some far off place, but I don't know if I'm that kind of person. I am not an adventurer, I just want a comfortable life on my own just doing things I like, and for now the way I mentioned above seem to be the safest way to get there.

InDefenseOfPOMO
2 hours ago, Jade Cross said:

Doesnt that bother anyone else? even in the slightest? This monotonous cycle that goes nowhere?

It does not go nowhere, and, no, it does not bother me.

Our relationships--with our own selves, other people, other living things, our environments, the divine, etc.--are dynamic and always have the potential to be transformative.

I learn something new and powerful every day.

Humility--knowing and appreciating your place in the big picture--has always been a powerful antidote for me.

I believe that the physicalist/materialist attitude that says that I am just a small speck of matter living on a rock that is another small speck in a galaxy that is just a small speck among thousands (or is it millions?) of other galaxies, and so on, is self-defeating for anybody who wants to live a good, meaningful life. If Martin Luther King, Jr. had the attitude that he was just a small speck, would we be working today on what he started? Would the physicalists/materialists even have the civil liberties, economic security, etc. to work on and publish their theory?

Each of us can end, continue, and/or start something. Maybe if you are in a routine that bothers you you need to ask what from the past you are continuing, decide if it should be stopped or continued or if something else should be started, and then respond appropriately according to your answer.

That's not the routine of life. That's just simply existing and nothing more. It's only routine because society at large goes along with it. People settle because I honestly don't think that they'd know what to do with themselves otherwise. And yes, it'd bother me if I was trapped in that particular cycle.

Anthracite_Impreza

It would if I did it. As it happens I'm too disabled to work full time but am lucky enough to get away with volunteering in a job I love (despite coming home covered in bruises and aching). The cars are the big thing that really keep me going though.

sorrow-of-mind

Looking at the big picture, one could say it is all meaningless as we are some cosmic bacterias living on a grain of sand, suspended in the vast space and once we vanish, nobody will give a damn. So yes, in that regard, life is pointless. And daily routine? You are a cog in the global machinery after all and it's really hard to break the vicious cycle of working-eating-sleeping-repeat. I think that what makes life bearable or enjoyable even, are those small things that happen from time to time - new experiances, hobbies, friends. I suggest seizing all such moments and squeezing them to the fullest. And do not ruminate too much. You will only make it worse.

40 minutes ago, sorrow-of-mind said:

Looking at the big picture, one could say it is all meaningless as we are some cosmic bacterias living on a grain of sand, suspended in the vast space and once we vanish, nobody will give a damn. So yes, in that regard, life is pointless. And daily routine? You are a cog in the global machinery after all and it's really hard to break the vicious cycle of working-eating-sleeping-repeat. I think that what makes life bearable or enjoyable even, are those small things that happen from time to time - new experiances, hobbies, friends. I suggest seizing all such moments and squeezing them to the fullest. And do not ruminate too much. You will only make it worse.

Actually, I find the mindset you've mentioned in the first sentence to be exceptionally liberating. There are no overwhelming expectations that you can't bring yourself to live up to simply because the universe doesn't give a shit. Oddly though, that thought makes me less worried about making mistakes or wasting my time. 

Lord Jade Cross
On 5/31/2019 at 1:22 PM, sorrow-of-mind said:

In the grand scheme of things it seems to be redundant and just a never-ending-cycle in my mind. In my lifetime, I hope that I’ll be able to get a decent job in a few years and make and save enough money that I can retire early and not have to work until the day that I die.

sorrow-of-mind
10 hours ago, leszy said:

Actually, I find the mindset you've mentioned in the first sentence to be exceptionally liberating. There are no overwhelming expectations that you can't bring yourself to live up to simply because the universe doesn't give a shit. Oddly though, that thought makes me less worried about making mistakes or wasting my time. 

I find it comforting usually and overwhelming at times, when I try to wrap my head around the concept of the universe and our place in it. In the micro-scale though, it is surely liberating, like you said, as you don't have to be too serious about life in general. 

Member131995

My life is anything but routine, so honestly I can't complain. I've pretty much always worked jobs I liked and tend to quit jobs I hate, I understand that should be considered a luxury. I'm now currently working in the field I wanted to be in. My only complaint would be that I can't sleep for a living.

verymelancholic

Routine makes life unbearable.

[Daily mental check list]

Clown pants

Clown shoes

Clown nose

Blank face

InDefenseOfPOMO

The worst feeling I have ever had was the helpless, nearly hopeless, angry feeling I had when I was unemployed for six months on two occasions during the Great Recession.

I would have enthusiastically traded places with an employed person who was complaining about the routine of work.

Meanwhile, I have no plans to ever retire. Retirement looks like a big waste of time.

One of the worst ideas I have heard produced in recent times is the idea of all work being automated and people spending every hour of every day indulging in leisure activities. It sounds like a life with little or no challenges, motivation, initiative, competition, entrepreneurship, etc. Leisure would probably lose all value anyway--it would no longer be a reward for, break from, etc. working.

Lord Jade Cross
On 6/5/2019 at 1:57 AM, InDefenseOfPOMO said:

IDK who I am tho

Ye fuck life n who cares about the routine of it. I just try to pass time n not think about things much. Kinda being in the moment like wow the sounds and the feel of the air and my body as I move and look at the trees and stuff kinda helps cause it takes me away from my thoughts. Work is bleh video games are same old at this point. Wish I had more money and less debt so I could afford to pay more for more varied entertainment.

edit : In regard to the above two posts. Work or no work is same either way for me. Both suck. But at least it’s active and I can distract myself. It’s harder to be active without work but I’m pretty sure that’s cause of no income. Being unemployed just comes with anxiety of not knowing if your savings will last till your next job. 

InDefenseOfPOMO
On 6/5/2019 at 8:15 AM, Jade Cross said:

If you worked but barely made enough to live regardless of what job you had, the time spent working or effort placed into it, would you still feel the same?

I want to respond in more detail when I have the time, but for now let me say that I think that the source of your discomfort is that you have--almost everybody in the modern world has--been socialized to be homo economicus.

I rejected that robotic script a long time ago.

The key is becoming conscious of the fact that it is just a recent cultural phenomenon, not anything universal.

InDefenseOfPOMO
On 5/30/2019 at 10:22 PM, Jade Cross said:

I dont know how common it is for others but often, I find myself extremely, I guess the best word I can use is distressed over what the course of what is normally considered a "life" is supposed to go. I mean you work (likely not in what you want or like. There are exceptions of course) to pay for things which are ultimately just means to prolonge doing what youre doing to prolonge having the means in order to prolonge what youre prolonging  in this twisted cycle of rinse and repeat.

Doesnt that bother anyone else? even in the slightest? This monotonous cycle that goes nowhere?

I think that the following article, and the book that it reviews, address a lot of your concerns:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/sep/28/death-homo-economicus-peter-fleming-review

The routine of life has really bothered me quite a bit in the past, but I notice that a large part of that had to do with the circumstances that I was in at the time - crappy job, poor health, lousy relationships, etc. Of course the routine is gonna suck if your life sucks, and man, did my life used to really suck... As it's gotten better, though, the routine I have doesn't bother me as much, but I have a lot more that keeps me going than just the routine. I don't mind some routine in my life, but too much makes me feel stifled. 

InDefenseOfPOMO
On 6/5/2019 at 8:15 AM, Jade Cross said:

If you worked but barely made enough to live regardless of what job you had, the time spent working or effort placed into it, would you still feel the same?

I would still feel the same.

Given the choice between having autonomy and self-reliance and struggling or being completely dependent on someone else but never struggling, I would choose the former.

Lord Jade Cross
On 6/10/2019 at 1:24 AM, InDefenseOfPOMO said:

RakshaTheCat
On 5/31/2019 at 2:22 PM, Jade Cross said:

Yep, it sure bothered me before. I'm much happier when I got away from it, despite having decent enough job before. Try to free yourself from it if you can, but I understand it can be hard, especially if you live in a country that hates it's own citizens (like US).

I'm minimalist and hermit so I don't fit into society at all, but it does let me survive on very low amount of money. I'm happy as long I have enough to eat, my own room, bike to ride and a computer with internet 😺

Archived