Poll for ace people about romantic orientation

NoraGrace

Poll for ace people about romantic orientation  

172 members have voted

1. 1. What is your romantic orientation along with being asexual?

• Heteromatic
    • Homoromantic
    • Biromantic
    • Panromantic
    • Polyromantic
    • Andromantic
    • Gyneromantic
    • Ambiromantic
    • Aromantic
    • other (sorry if I missed anyone's)

This poll is closed to new votes

I wanted to make this poll because I know that ace people make up 1% of the population but I was wondering what percentage of them are a certain romantic orientation. Are most asexuals aromantic too, or do most have a romantic preference, and if so, what is it? Thanks for your contribution. 

Anthracite_Impreza

Mecha.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I am, whether heteroromantic, gray-romantic or aromantic because, as a kid, I did experience a few crushes and wanted to try kissing one of my friends (however, I don't know whether that might've been just because several of my classmates talked about their crushes, wanting to kiss other classmates, etc., and I was curious), and I did experience a few infatuations with a few celebrities (however, nowadays, I feel as though it was just due to not experiencing enough self-confidence and love from parents).

Nowadays, however, after working on developing my own self-esteem, rather than fantasizing about others giving it to me, I haven't experienced any infatuations about anyone, including celebrities. So, I feel as though I'm aromantic, right now. Yet, because of my past crushes and infatuations as a kid and young adult, I'm unsure whether or not I might experience those things in the future. I've never been in a relationship, nor kissed, anyone; I've been asked, but I've always felt uncomfortable with others wanting to express real affection toward me, in real life. I don't know whether it could just be the fact that I am not compatible with others, where I live, as most of the population here was raised completely differently from myself (e.g. they're very religious and strongly, only like associating with those of their religion, whereas, I don't have one at all and am not interested in having one; most are different from me, politically, as well: don't like LGBT+ rights, etc.) or whether witnessing my relatives' unhappy relationships has turned me away from relationships.

I am curious to try kissing someone, one day, just to see what it's all about, whether that might make a difference for me and awaken a desire or not; it's just I don't live or meet a lot of people my age, where I live: everyone else is older, already married with children. I have a feeling that most people my age prefer to live in larger cities, where it's more expensive, which I was raised not to aspire to. So, it's complicated.

1 minute ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Honestly, I'm not sure what I am, whether heteroromantic, gray-romantic or aromantic because, as a kid, I did experience a few crushes and wanted to try kissing one of my friends (however, I don't know whether that might've been just because several of my classmates talked about their crushes, wanting to kiss other classmates, etc., and I was curious), and I did experience a few infatuations with a few celebrities (however, nowadays, I feel as though it was just due to not experiencing enough self-confidence and love from parents).

Nowadays, however, after working on developing my own self-esteem, rather than fantasizing about others giving it to me, I haven't experienced any infatuations about anyone, including celebrities. So, I feel as though I'm aromantic, right now. Yet, because of my past crushes and infatuations as a kid and young adult, I'm unsure whether or not I might experience those things in the future.

Yeah, I'd say you were aromantic now. Sexualities and romantic orientations can change and often do. 

Despite being married to a trans-male-to-at-least-some-degree person, I still consider myself heteroromantic.

My relationship likely would not have established itself the way it did if I didn't originally meet my partner as female.  My spouse hadn't really been fully accepting of their identity until recent years, but they do not regret the fact it took that long to unfold the way it did, because we likely wouldn't have ended up together otherwise.

I'm surprised that "aromantic" is the highest percentage, at the moment; I was expecting "heteroromantic" to be leading, as there seemed, to me, to be more threads related to relationships, dating, etc.

Custard Cream

I thought it woukd be aromantic followed by panromantic. 

letusdeleteouraccounts
10 hours ago, NoraGrace said:

I wanted to make this poll because I know that ace people make up 1% of the population but I was wondering what percentage of them are a certain romantic orientation. Are most asexuals aromantic too, or do most have a romantic preference, and if so, what is it? Thanks for your contribution. 

There’s actually a popular detailed survey that’s done every year through AVEN and Twitter giving us an idea of who makes up the ace community. In the last one I saw, it was saying that the aromantic population is around 25%

Dreamsexual

letusdeleteouraccounts
7 minutes ago, Dreamsexual said:

Hetero inorganic psyche.  I'm happy for that to be included under hetero if it makes sense to include broadly feminine non-humans.

I think it makes more sense to fall under aromantic since you don’t have to interact with anybody to experience your version of romanticism. For the sake of a survey like this

Dreamsexual
On 28 May 2019 at 11:23 AM, Star Lion said:

I think it makes more sense to fall under aromantic since you don’t have to interact with anybody to experience your version of romanticism. For the sake of a survey like this

letusdeleteouraccounts
Just now, Dreamsexual said:

That seems really inappropriate, though, given that a) it might include the necessity of interaction with a non-human, and b) it obviously involves romantic feelings and thoughts.

I’m kinda just talking about in real world social situations. But I think “other” works too, that’s probably what anthracite chose

Dreamsexual
On 28 May 2019 at 11:30 AM, Star Lion said:

I’m kinda just talking about in real world social situations. But I think “other” works too, that’s probably what anthracite chose

letusdeleteouraccounts
1 minute ago, Dreamsexual said:

since orientation is just gender not species

Mmmm I don’t know about that one 😂 I think for example if a guy were to only be romantically/sexually attracted to male animals, they’d have nothing in common with a gay guy attracted to people. I think they’d have more in common with us as aro aces on the common ground that we don’t fall in love or get sexually attracted with/to any person and how that molds our interactions in society

Dreamsexual
On 28 May 2019 at 11:42 AM, Star Lion said:

Mmmm I don’t know about that one 😂 I think for example if a guy were to only be romantically/sexually attracted to male animals, they’d have nothing in common with a gay guy attracted to people. I think they’d have more in common with us as aro aces on the common ground that we don’t fall in love or get sexually attracted with/to any person and how that molds our interactions in society

letusdeleteouraccounts
12 minutes ago, Dreamsexual said:

I agree.  Which is one of the reasons why the current consensus on orientation = gender only makes little sense to me. :)

I mean, I’m just talking about in situations of attraction to things that aren’t people. I did like what you were saying earlier about “effective asexuals,” but I think that they have about equal footing with regular asexuals on how their sexuality works in society and that the “effective” part just tells that there’s a lot more to the story with that if you get what all I mean. I still think orientation has a high emphasis on gender but also species

Dreamsexual
On 28 May 2019 at 11:55 AM, Star Lion said:

I mean, I’m just talking about in situations of attraction to things that aren’t people. I did like what you were saying earlier about “effective asexuals,” but I think that they have about equal footing with regular asexuals on how their sexuality works in society and that the “effective” part just tells that there’s a lot more to the story with that if you get what all I mean. I still think orientation has a high emphasis on gender but also species

Anthracite_Impreza

Yeah I put other.

Dreamsexual
On 28 May 2019 at 12:15 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Yeah I put other.

?

Personally, when I come across threads where there are asexual discussions of romantic interest/desire in people or objects, I feel very different and puzzled because I don't feel those feelings toward anyone or anything; it's like coming across a large group of people who are all a part of a club, which I can't be a part of because I don't feel what they're feeling.

letusdeleteouraccounts
Just now, Dreamsexual said:

If you don't mind me asking, do cars have genders roughly equivalent to male/female?

I thought all cars have she/her pronouns

Captain_Tass
13 minutes ago, Star Lion said:

My mother's car is a they. We call them "The mosquito". So no, not all cars are referred to as she/her.

Anthracite_Impreza
11 minutes ago, Dreamsexual said:

If you don't mind me asking, do cars have genders roughly equivalent to male/female?

Not really in my experience, machines don't really have need of gender so they tend to be neutral. They may have certain ways of thinking that make them more/less relatable though, in place of gender.

10 minutes ago, Star Lion said:

No, I call mine he. Only reason vehicles are traditionally called she is because they were almost exclusively driven by cis-het males in the past.

NickyTannock

I've moved this thread from 'Questions about Asexuality' to 'Census Forum'.

Michael Tannock,
Open Mic moderator and Questions about Asexuality Co-moderator.

If you were to ask my mom, every single car would be female.

They would also all be named "Betsy"

Anthracite_Impreza
17 hours ago, Philip027 said:

If you were to ask my mom, every single car would be female.

They would also all be named "Betsy"

Creative.

Seriously, every car we've ever been in that's ever given her some kind of trouble (such as with starting or whatever), she's always made remarks like "c'mon Betsy, you can do it..."

This has gone on for at least 4 or 5 cars or so

Asexual_Goddess

I don’t even know at this point, all I know is that girls tend to catch my attention rather than dudes.

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

Primarily gyneromantic. Though theoretically I may be panromantic, but I don't think that's ever going to come into play.

Archived