Collections

Ziffler

I seem to collect freaks... I'm like a bug zapper for them.

:blink::wacko:

So what do you do with the dead bodies after zapping them? Do you store them on a shelf or in cardboard boxes under your bed?

Gosh ... :blink: :blink:

I would hope that she would use a chest freezer! (That's where I store all of MY freaks until I'm ready to de-freakify them!)

-GB

I collect miniature tea pots, antique bed warmers, and frogs (not live ones). I used to male wackos/freaks but gave that up with booze. I also collect fantasies.

Blue Topaz

I pretty much figured no one else would collect open salts, but that's me. I have about 1,200 of them. And, this being the "old fogeys" thread (I fit right in at age 50), I bet lots of you will say, "Oh, my grandmother had some of those"! If you are interested, check this out: www.opensalts.info

I :wub: open salts!

So what's an open salt? an open container for salt? interesting.

Salt cellars are pretty cool looking, but I don't want any "dust collectors".

I use one of Alton Brown's covered salt containers for kosher salt (I think it was originally for parmesan cheese).

I collect Keychains.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...3b-1d667144533b

It's grown since then. If ANYONE goes to a foreign country, or lives in one, send me a keychain! I have one from most of the USA states, plus germany and korea. Now I need one from the rest of the world!

Kia ora Cacille-

I happen to have quite a few Aotearoa-NZ key*rings* - are these the same thing?

I am happy to give them to you- cheers n/n Islander9 (I am happy to be pm'd)

Blue Topaz

Hi JustJudy - I have to laugh because my first name is Judy and my sister is "JustJane" (as in Will & Grace's "JustJack"!)

Anyway, open salts were used to serve salt before it was practical to use a shaker because it clumped up too much. They are (in my collection) little dishes made of glass, but they can also be porcelain, china, silver, etc. Any material that could be formed into a bowl, basically. I could go on and on, but I'll spare all of you! They definitely are dust catchers, but most of mine are in closed cabinets, which helps. Thanks for asking! :D

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

How nice to read about everyone's collections! I have lots of books - don't know if you would actually call it a 'collection', I just like to read. I'm beginning to get a fairly nice DVD collection which includes a nearly complete set of Johnny Depp movies and I think a complete set of Stanley Kubrick movies. My music collection is rather weird and has a bit of everything. I also have a collection of Tarot card decks that numbers just over 200 at the present time. Oh, and I still have my old baseball cards from when I was a tomboy back in the 50's and early 60's.

I collect equestrian books - I'm a horselover so guess it makes sense, but I'm the only horse lover I know who owns over 500 books on horses.

Some people say I also collect cats, but that's just because I've proven hopeless at kitten fostering - I've taken in 4 mommy cats and raised her kittens, fully expecting to adopt out the little boogers when they grew up, but by then they each had a piece of my heart, sigh. (Note, I'm not the crazy cat lady you see on tv - they are all fixed, and I do manage to keep the litter boxes clean - all 10 of them, LOL)

Cheers,

Ghiz

Throne Eins

I collect anime figures and doujinshi, though I've kind of put the kibosh on the latter. I have so many figures that I've run out of room for them! They just kind of sit on whatever level surface there is. XD

• 1 month later...
Guest DiscoBison

I realise that this topic has been going a little cold, but I'll add my two pennies worth anyways....

I'm a big geeky fossil/rock/mineral collector & I don't care who knows it !! The more ancient a fossil is the better, the more unusual a rock or mineral is the more I like it. I love the fact that when you split a rock open, you are the only person ever to have seen it - EVER! And the thrill of seeing the impression of a 490 million year old fish or a 65 million yr old shrimp is indescribable - like I said at the beginning - big geeky sciency type bloke.

I also have a small collection of Wedgwood black jasperware, although that has fizzled out somewhat since I decided to focus on a particular fossil group (the graptolites if that means anything to anyone) which are tricky to find even online.

Phew! All ribbing, mickey-taking, mild abuse etc taken lightly and in the best spirit!

I collect just the ordinary things one collects, namely books, CDs and DVDs. I've got fairly big collections of all of those things.

I'm a packrat. I'd say my largest collection is of books. If I enjoy a book, I don't get rid of it; I keep it to read again and again. Some of my favorite books in my collection are the ones I loved as a teenager, and even a young child. My nice hardcover ones are the ones displayed in my living room - American history, nature, animals, and horses mostly, but I'll read anything related to my interests.

Music CD's, tapes, and vinyl records. When I was younger, I would rarely go in a store without buying some new music. Some I haven't listened to in years. Some I had bought just because I wanted one song on it. And the records might be worth money someday! I still listen to them, too.

Interesting things I've found in the woods and beach - shelf fungus from trees, moss, rocks and crystals, animal skulls, deer antlers, pretty shells. My latest interesting find was a shark's tooth washed up on the beach when I was in Florida last year. Nature collections seem to be a popular thing among AVENites!

My beloved My Little Ponies from when I was a kid. The original ones from the '80's. I've forgotten most of their names, but back then I would play with them for hours. Like the cassettes, they were another thing I'd beg my mom to buy every time we were in the mall. I think they were only $5.00 then.

Unicorn and Pegasus things. Mostly figurines, but I have one huge framed picture of the Unicorn In Captivity tapestry. And a unicorn afghan, and cards (framed on the wall).

My Breyer Horse collection from childhood. I made little bridles for them out of embrodiary floss, or rubber bands, gave them names, and dreamed of the day I'd have a real horse.

Collection of dog figurines.

Santa Claus dolls and figures. My mom started that collection for me several years ago.

Adirondack Mountain and woodland items. That's my kitchen's decorating theme. I'd like to get a mounted deer head or some taxidermy animals, but there's just no more room. My pets would just chew on them, anyway.

State quarters, and coins from around the world. I'm not serious about collecting them, though. I just keep them when I happen to find something interesting in my change. Canada's coins are so much prettier than the US's!

Lighthouses and model ships and boats. Mostly tourist souvenirs from Maine, Cape Cod, and Florida. Also other assorted pictures and wall decor and nautical figurines. Like a carved wooden sea captain I long ago named Mr. MacSquid. That's my living room's theme. It looks like an old beach cottage in there.

Many things in my collections have some story or memory attached to them.

Told you I was a packrat. ;)

Collection of dog figurines.

I also collect dog figurines, but more specifically Dalmatian figurines. They are my favorite breed of dog. I've been collecting these items since 1997. You'd think that I have a massive collection by now, but not really. I think my Dalmatian collection could only fill up one shelf, but I have them placed around my room in various areas.

State quarters, and coins from around the world. I'm not serious about collecting them, though. I just keep them when I happen to find something interesting in my change. Canada's coins are so much prettier than the US's!

I have also been collecting the US state quarters since the day they came out. So far I'm only missing Pennsylvania to date. I'm not to serious about this one either. I just thought it would be cool to have a collection of state quarters from all 50 states. I even have one of those collection maps to place the quarters on. Right now, I just have them in a box with my other coins. (Mostly Silver Dollars and Half Cent pieces.)

The last thing on my collection list are my flags from around the world. I have about 15 -20 flags. I haven't counted them lately, so I don't know the exact count as of now. The last flag I added to my collection was Switzerland. It was also the last country I visited this year. :D

I collect several things, but the biggie is merchandise of my favorite tv shows. My main focus right now is The CW's Supernatural. I've spent about a grand just on Supernatural fan stuff (not including dvds) and I still want a lot more, but I'm just not rich enough to spend $90 on a throw blanket. :(

I collect Keychains.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...3b-1d667144533b

It's grown since then. If ANYONE goes to a foreign country, or lives in one, send me a keychain! I have one from most of the USA states, plus germany and korea. Now I need one from the rest of the world!

I collect keychains, too. ^_^ Mine are keychains with more than one purpose, like a keychain flashlight, a keychain photo album, stuff like that.

I collect badges, keys, toys (esp. robots) and books.

Like Ghizwiz, I collect equestrian books, though I've a long way to go to get 500! Other books, too, though on geology, paleoanthropology, nature, and eleven years' worth of Classic Rock magazines. I have a few first edition books on varying subjects that I'm using as 'investment'.

I did used to 'gather' things that are probably frowned upon, such as stones and fossils from beaches, etc.

Also, CDs and DVDs lately, since our local Woolworths did a long-running sale of stuff from 87p to £7, and that collection got a bit manic at one point; I was buying between 2 and 8 items a week. I had to buy a new CD rack. Which didn't hold everything, either.

Model cars. The only Lamborghini I'm ever likely to own, a Countach. And a Jaguar XJ220, and one or two others.

pawprint prettysure

I collect Stephen King's books. My goal would be to have everything he has written not only in Finnish but also in English. Don't ask me why, it's just a weird obsession of mine... :blink:

Also collecting my fave tv shows on dvd. Especially CSI and CSI NY. Don't like CSI Miami that much coz I hate the leading actor. He just gives me the creeps :ph34r:

I collect snail figurines! I have about 200 snails made out of wood, glass, porcelain etc. in my room.

Don't think it has anything to do with my sexuality. It just started out of nowhere when as a child I told stories about some "snail" and then got some as a present. Well some day I declared I collect them and so I still do.

Midnight Violet

0_90_WRH480X.jpg I collect blue bottles, but only certain ones.

I collect basses (4 at the moment)

I collect ipod accesories, i have a million different gadgets for my ipod.

I don't collective a thing.

I wish I did, but I just can't decide on what to collect.

I was considering a luvdisc collection but I'm not sure if they even sell anything with luvdiscs on them... :blink: Maybe mudkips.

Coins. All kinds of interesting coins... old ones, foreign ones, chipped ones, even tokens. :P

-Katie

Archived