Collections

Ziffler

Ziffler - excellent topic;

I am a bibliophile (I have plus15,000 of 'em): I collect paticularly Maori & Polynesian works,cookery books, archaeology & history(and natural history), and scifi...I also collect edged weapons (not just swords) and have done this since I started pinching my uncles' knife collections was back in the early 1950s!

I am also the family archivist, and actually find it quite difficult to throw *anything* away :shock:

All best to all who treasure stuff - it's way better than treasuring nothing-

• 4 weeks later...

I collect records. Not vinyls, but records. LPs, 45s, 78s. The collection's pushing to more than 1000 (I think). I mainly go to eBay or flea makets, but I will go all out for one that I really want. Like when I paid $15 for an original issue of the "Every Mothers' Son" LP with "Come On Down To My Boat" on it, or $21 for a copy of "The Dave Clark Five's Greatest Hits" LP from 1967. And I consider more than $5 alot for an old record. Chronologically, the collection is pre-1910 to present. I may collect for cover art if its an awesome cover, but mainly its for the music. If I like it and its in good enough shape for the money, I'll buy it. I'm especially proud of my collection of 1960's music. Everything from Neil Sedaka to Jimi Hendrix, from Lorretta Lynn to Jefferson Airplane. I just think that certain music, mainly pre-1976ish, sounds so much better in its original format. That's the way it was meant to be heard. You can't beat some hot "jass" (jazz) on the old wind-up gramophone, or some true high-fidelity MONO "Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons" on the tabletop hi-fi set. But, I do have some more modern bands on LP (The Hives, The White Stripes, Tripping Daisy, The Shins etc,), and they sound great on the modern Pioneer. Oh, and by the way, yes! I collect turntables too. One for each era of music that I own. Example: the old "acoustic" 78s sound best on an acoustic gramophone and the "electrical process" 78s (post-1928) sound best on an electric Victrola. MONO hi-fi disks sound better on a MONO hi-fi set rather than modern stereo equipment. Well, I've think I've said enough on that subject. I also collect artifacts from the 50s and 60s: Furniture, chairs, ashtrays, radios, lamps, clocks, kitchen appliances, dishes, knick-knacks, record players, records :P. You walk into my house and its like your walking back in time to a split level ranch style house from 1956. Its cool I tell you! :lol:

My main collection is postcards. I've been collecting them since I was in 6th grade. Quite a while!! I also collect science fiction books, records(33's) and crosses. I also have quite a bit of yarn to crochet one of these days, and I'm an amateur poet.

• 3 weeks later...
TorqueMotorLockout

I have 3 cars and 4 pinball machines. These 2 hobbies consume a lot of space and money. The collection cant really get much bigger because I've run out of space, but now I enjoy the restoration and rehibilitation the the cars and pinballs that I already have.

I also collect airline memorbilia (mostly from the places I have worked in the past).

• 2 weeks later...

I have a small collection of Goth dolls from the Bleeding Edge Goths line. I didn't start collecting them until recently but I don't think it's connected to anything else. I've always liked dolls and these are just very cool looking ones.

• 3 weeks later...
mouth brooder

Yep, this thread works as a telling show-n-tell.

How many here had a big smile when reading about the 41 year old man collecting plush toys?? Seattleoutsider, that is so heartwarming!!

I collect things to memorize, like Irish trad tunes. I can play over a hundred now on penny whistle, but hardly any without "typos". And wise sayings in both Spanish and English, and now I'm trying to memorize (and understand) all I can about digital electronics. I am just finishing up my first two courses.

My study looks like I collect USB cables too.

I’ve inherited a massive collection of teeth with gold fillings. How I started this collection *shivers * is though a inheritance of a dental ancestor. I think the gold is for anyone willing to crush the teeth up in a pewter and extract the fillings. My great grandfather wasn’t game…and I certainly don’t want too. However I have the feeling, the massive old teeth, roots and all…would be worth more, intact, for the next generation. *passes them on*

FelineFanatic

Wow DVB! I have never heard of a tooth collection like that! I know some parents who have kept the children's deciduous teeth, but in no way does that compare with your collection.

Wow DVB! I have never heard of a tooth collection like that! I know some parents who have kept the children's deciduous teeth, but in no way does that compare with your collection.

Well, they were collected by this guy…only because of the gold in them. He was a hotshot dentist for his time, I believe. I suppose having a gold filling was a status thing, back then. Can’t imagine having such a soft metal would be any good, in your teeth!

dentisthq0.jpg

Hey, the hospital has lost my mum's teeth...maybe you could send her a few

They a bit ancient looking now, getting on a 80 years old. Looking at the massive molars, it irks me, thinking they used a device called an ‘eagle’s claw’ to pull them out :P. Should take a piccy of them, but they’re packed up, in the garage somewhere. Would take a lot of effort to find them (and repack everything ).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really an older asexual, but I like some of the topics here :D

I collect spent light bulbs, bones, dead insects (butterflies, moths, beetles, cicadas), faerie figurines/ornaments, various nature related items (sticks, dried plants, rocks, etc.) and cat whiskers. I also have small collections of wolves, cats, and little trinkets (most are valuable or meaningful to me in some way).

hydrae wrote:

I collect spent light bulbs

Now that's a collection I haven't heard of before.

Oh, and I'm glad you enjoy visiting here in the old folks home. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I collect

--seashells

--swords and daggers

--ancient Egyptian statuary

--lighthouses

--statues of Buddha & Kwan Yin

Quite an eclectic sort of collection, huh? I've always had a wide range of interests.

Oh,I forgot!----I have a large library of books about the Titanic.

People who have been to my house say it's like going to a museum. Seems like it's usually dusty enough to be like an old museum!!

I collect dust.

:lol:

Seriously, I collect postcards (anyone I know who goes somewhere, I ask them to send me a postcard, or even bring one back) and fridge magnets.

About half of the front of my refigerator is covered with magnets, most of them being souvenir magnets from some place or another. Some I've gotten myself, others were bought as souvenirs for me. Among the places represented are Loch Lomond (Scotland), Vienna (Austria), Salt Lake City, and about a zillion from various places in the Canadian Rockies.

what a fun topic! i had no idea it was here.. i guess that shows i should look at more than just the first page of posts!

i collect GOOD cloissonne, asian - most of the pieces i have are the typical closed work, but i've got a few really really nice pieces of openwork cloissonne (that's my favorite really)

books, but that seems to be fairly common here - i think it has to do with the fact that most of us are extra specially smart :wink:

art - mostly my own - the danged collection grows and grows and it's so hard for me to part with it, i mean, some of it, you know, they are my babies!

I actually gave away two of my pieces this year, and three will be shown in an exhibition that is being shown in conjuction with a play that i'm in - that begs another question - maybe i'll start a thread - good lord how do you decide on a price for your art!

shoes. i'm a girl, need i say more.

purses. see above.

makeup that i never wear but always buy thinking that it will make me Pretty! Oh so Pretty! I feel Pretty and Witty and Wise! :lol:

foreign coins, but i don't really know why - some fell into my hands and i just started holding on to them

i think that's all (that i'm going to share now... no need in the whole web knowing how cluttered my bedroom is LOL)

I have all 52 episodes of my favourite TV series (and working my way up to getting the other films my favourite actor is in :lol: so far have 'Posse' and 'Just a little Inconvenience' )

ForestRangerFX4

I collect Beer Steins, Frankoma Pottery (Prairie Green), Seneca Driftwood glassware (Brown & Green), and Moose items. Sounds like I need to get a life... :lol:

I collect Beer Steins

Sorry, at a quick glance I thought it said Beer Stains :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

*Maybe I ought to go to the opticians :oops: :oops: :oops: *

I would be a good client for Jan. I collect everything.

In fact, I have a few of everything mentioned in this thread so far... except whips and swords.

I like fixing things and doing research, and I'm a regular cruiser on big trash pickup night!

I actually began my "curbside archeology" habit out of necessity about 30 years ago... but wouldn't give it up now, even if I could afford to!

(And the greenies AND freecyclers love me!)

Lizzie

• 1 year later...
bURR kEEF
I collect records. Not vinyls, but records. LPs, 45s, 78s. The collection's pushing to more than 1000 (I think). I mainly go to eBay or flea makets, but I will go all out for one that I really want. Like when I paid $15 for an original issue of the "Every Mothers' Son" LP with "Come On Down To My Boat" on it, or $21 for a copy of "The Dave Clark Five's Greatest Hits" LP from 1967. And I consider more than $5 alot for an old record. Chronologically, the collection is pre-1910 to present. I may collect for cover art if its an awesome cover, but mainly its for the music. If I like it and its in good enough shape for the money, I'll buy it. I'm especially proud of my collection of 1960's music. Everything from Neil Sedaka to Jimi Hendrix, from Lorretta Lynn to Jefferson Airplane. I just think that certain music, mainly pre-1976ish, sounds so much better in its original format. That's the way it was meant to be heard. You can't beat some hot "jass" (jazz) on the old wind-up gramophone, or some true high-fidelity MONO "Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons" on the tabletop hi-fi set. But, I do have some more modern bands on LP (The Hives, The White Stripes, Tripping Daisy, The Shins etc,), and they sound great on the modern Pioneer. Oh, and by the way, yes! I collect turntables too. One for each era of music that I own. Example: the old "acoustic" 78s sound best on an acoustic gramophone and the "electrical process" 78s (post-1928) sound best on an electric Victrola. MONO hi-fi disks sound better on a MONO hi-fi set rather than modern stereo equipment. Well, I've think I've said enough on that subject. I also collect artifacts from the 50s and 60s: Furniture, chairs, ashtrays, radios, lamps, clocks, kitchen appliances, dishes, knick-knacks, record players, records :P. You walk into my house and its like your walking back in time to a split level ranch style house from 1956. Its cool I tell you! :lol:

I went away from here for a while and couldn't remember my username. Well, I remembered posting this and I found it way down in the dredges.

Anyway, Seventh Son used to be me. That's what I collect. The only changes are, some of my turntables have konked out on me, I now live in an early 1950s tract house (still era appropriate), and my record and ashtray collections have grown out of control. This is a good thread to make current again...

I collect nothing. I'm living out of two suitcases now so I have no room to save anything. I did collect mouse things for ages because my nickname was mouse. People got me mouse everything but I gave it all away when I moved to Africa.

I DO...however have to learn to stop buying scarves here!! I AM taking them to people for gifts next month but still, enough is enough. And I have to stop buying them only in MY favourite colours!

luvinmomofone1

i collect books and faerie art, right now its sculptures in my china cabbient and i have my eyes on a couple nene thomas ones up in our so called tobacco store..its just a combination figurines and decoration, incense ,adult toys and tobbaco pipes, water pipes and ect in the other room with the beaded curtain. under agers can come in the front part of the store. oh yea the store has piercing jewlry too.

i also make jewlry, i make earings with glass bead components and maybe invest like 100 dollars and make back like 300-500 dollaars in profit, i dont do it that often anymore since my eyesight became blurry. i do have some i wanna order tho from the beading store. so i can start again

I collect anxieties. However, I think I'm doing well on my own in manufacturing them so I'm not asking for donations!

I collect languages and crafts. I knit, crochet, tat, quilt, and spin, and I'm going to start metal work soon.

Languages include French (although I'm not that good with it anymore), Welsh, Middle Egyptian, and ASL.

< retired >

I used to collect quotes. It was great fun, and I still have the quotation database from years ago. I rarely add new quotes these days, but occasionally I'll retrieve a quote from the database for some purpose or another.

The thought of collecting anything material that has to be stored, arranged, protected, and secured against damage or theft is repellant. I guess I collect open space :D

I collect languages and crafts. I knit, crochet, tat, quilt, and spin, and I'm going to start metal work soon.

I collect half-done craft projects. :redface: I have needlepoint, counted cross stitch, crochet, beaded earrings, dream catchers, and sewing.

I have finally learned to not burn myself out by working on the same type of craft for too long. I'll crochet a project, then needlepoint, then do nothing for a while, then start the cycle again. I did a bargello Christmas stocking last fall for my niece's new husband (to match the stocking I made for her first Christmas). Now I'm crocheting a baby blanket for my nephew's first child, due in October. After this, I may have to work two more stockings (to match his) for his wife and the baby.

I have collected a few cat figurines. They must be cute and distinctive, because I hate "dust catchers." I also have some 1950s green glassware, which I usually find at antique malls.

Jcortese: It's great that you tat, my mom is a tatter. She makes cross bookmarks.

I seem to collect freaks... I'm like a bug zapper for them.

:blink::wacko:

Archived