Collections

Ziffler

Ok, my topics have been sorta deep, lets go for something less philosophical and more fun. Yet have something to do with our understanding of being asexual. Maybe. :lol:

What do you collect? Is it wierd, strange or unusal? And lastly do you think its a compensation for being non-sexual. Hey we have more time to collect because we aren't running around trying to find the next bed to jump into. :D :D :D

I collect 4 things. I started my gun collection because I have always been interested in guns. My sword collection was started by my mother many years ago so she would have something interesting to get me for Christmas/Birthdays. My Dragon/Wizard Figurine collection was started by nephews and nieces so they would have something to get me for Christmas/Birthday gifts.

All 4 collections have grown large and take up a room of their own for display. I have always been interested in all things fantasy. My 4th collection is a fantasy book collection of over 300 titles. I never get rid of books after I read them so that collection is still growing.

As for my interest in collecting unusual things being a part of asexualty. Nope. Other people collect unique things and they are sexual. I dont think it has any correlation whatsoever.

Ok, Now what do you collect?

Miniature malt whiskey's...one day I will drink all of them...

Model sailing ships..unfulfilled dreams here..I have rarely gone sailing but I simply like boats.

I would collect guns if we were allowed to in this country. I used to have a collection of bayonets when younger..I have two swords and will acquire a couple more..hard to call that a collection. I don't see it growing into an armoury..

School memorabilia..but that has to do with my school role-play activities hence the preponderance of canes/tawses. I sometimes wonder if people who buy hockey-bags ever use them to actually keep hockey-sticks in?

books...

roddy

Stuffed animals... >_>

(Just wondering, why is this in the Older forum? I don't consider myself an Older Asexual, but I wanted to reply. :( )

I collect a lot of different things. The only thing they have in common is that they are all nature-related in some way.

Also, I tend to collect any given item for a while and then to decide that I have enough of whatever it is. At that point I either stop adding to the collection or become extremely picky and start gradually "upgrading" by eliminating the less valuable items in order to make space for new additions.

Anyway, right now I have porcelain birds, butterflies, unusual insects, and exceptionally pretty or unusual rocks and fossils.

The porcelain birds are in the "upgrade" state. The butterflies and insects are in the "very picky" state, and the rock collection is more or less open for growth.

(I've decided that I like rocks because they can safely be kept outside if they become too numerous.)

-GB

Alixyveth wrote:

(Just wondering, why is this in the Older forum? I don't consider myself an Older Asexual, but I wanted to reply.)

Because being older myself, this is where I hang out.

But this forum is open to everyone and anyone, to the best of my knowledge, for responses. It's just that most younger people aren't going to be interested in topics about "How Gerital envigorates old muslces" And "Does Glucosimine really work on joint pain?" :D :D :D :D

But yes people of all ages collect. My 10 year old niece has a stuffed animal collection that took over her bedroom. My 23 year old niece had a collection of Trolls that was huge. I sorta got my younger nephews into collecting unique knives because its what I get them for Christmas/Birthdays. So yes, collecting is universal for all ages.

Glad you stopped by and shared your collection with us.

I don't actually collect anything, I'm pretty boring really. I do get short lived 'obsessions' - at the moment it happens to be CSI Miami, but give it a month or two and I'll have moved on to something else.

I have odd items I keep because they have particular significance the first 45 I ever bought, the letter to my parents confirming I'd pssed the 11+, old school reports, a signed photo of Aaron Spelling (lovely man, met Candy and Tori too -Randy was taking an afternoon nap. Yep it was that long ago... :lol: )

I collected kinder egg toys for a few years. Have several hundred. Fun toys; lousy choclate. I use them as yule ornaments.

Hand-made wood objets d'art, for lack of a better category. A bunch of various sorts of wooden boxes from all over. (And I keep odd things in them. One contains a small piece of bone from one of my left floating ribs. :shock: ) Puzzle carvings. A four-panel room divider screen from India. About a third of it from 10,000 Villages.

I probably have a couple of thousand books. Hard to estimate, too lazy to count. Most fall into four categories: plays, poetry, biography, cook books.

And perhaps graduate degrees. Have two, getting ready to go after a third......

boa

i collect angel figurines and/or art. i also collect unusual picture frames. i love antiques but that can be a costly hobby, so for now i just admire them from afar. :lol:

I collect tiaras -- because I'm a princess!!! :D

Also books -- I have tons of books -- the house is overflowing with books... I started collecting cats, but had to stop that after three of them. I love classic cars -- so far I have only one, though.

And perhaps graduate degrees. Have two, getting ready to go after a third......

ooh. That's what I've got my eye on collecting.

Nice, Cacille. I collected keychains until I was about 10. I only ever got about 6' of them, though. Not sure why I stopped, it was fun.

I used to collect porcelain dolls, too. I must still have a box or two of them at my parents' house :shock:

These days it's books, particularly older (pre-1900) folklore books, fairy tale and mythology collections (eg John Ruskin and Andrew Lang ;)). I'm trying to hold off until I have an actual home to keep them in, though--moving boxes and boxes of books every year or so is no fun. I am however allowing myself to build up my set of costuming references including tailoring books, costume history and recreationists' texts and medieval art books. I'd like to do medieval garb on commission someday, so they're well worth having. When I have a house, I plan to have a library to rival boa's and thylacine's. My parents' house had thousands of books when I was growing up, it's in my blood and then some.

I suppose I also collect yarn and fabric, but that feels more like gathering moss than active collecting. I almost always have plans for it, I just don't make stuff as fast as I acquire materials.

I am an obssesive book buyer and journal collector. I have a million journals, all of them have been started but never fiished, for some reason.

Also, an avid music collector. And whatever current obsession that is driving me to buy pointless things that I will never use.

Seattleoutsider

oh yeah I forgot I have stuffed animals too I know its weird for 41 year old man to have. I don't think of myself as collecter even though I have several. I got ape and stuff bear. I did have bunny rabbit but I gave it away.

:D ..hello..I collect orange art glass vases,anglesand perenel plants,old tools and eclectic personalitys...?? do you all use the chat room??]

:oops: I tend to collect people. I sometimes am like the pied piper. People follow me or always come to me to ask directions or just... whatever. I use to say I was a 'weirdo' magnet but then some of my friends objected. chuckle. Once I was giving a speech at Toastmasters and was wearing a hat because I sort of put off electric waves that seem to draw people and I thought I could hide but they told me my eyes were electric too. So I wore sunglasses at night. ha.

I mtn. hike here in NM and collect rocks, driftwood, pots, bones, and I find all kinds of stuff. I'm given a lot of stuff, kinda holistic stuff, art, sacred tobacco, ... I guess people think I'm holy.... naw. I have a friend that creates characters in cartoons (me too) and one is Dr. Curry Favor so once this nurse asked me something and I told her that he suggested so and so. Of course none of it's too real... chuckle.

Hello Ziffler...speaking of cracked pot....Have you ever heard the old bible story of the servent carrying water down an old dirt path ever day?

In one hand he had a cracked pot full of water and the other a pot with no cracks full of water.

While he was carrying the water the cracked pot was leaking onto one side of the path and in a matter of months the side of the path that was being watered by the cracked pot had bloomed into beautiful flower, while the side of the path with the pot that had no cracks was bear.

I love cracked pots. :!:

oooh, ziff, cool topic! And I love your collections.

I collect several things, like Greybird most are nature-related. My oldest collecting interest is rocks, crystals and minerals; that started when I was given a nice little quartz crystal cluster for my 6th birthday. That collection has grown...and grown...but become somewhat refined in the process. I will still collect just about anything mineral if it appeals to me in some way, but my collection is currently pretty heavy on Herkimer diamonds, especially skeletal Herkimer diamonds. I'm a magpie, I'm very attracted to little sparkly things, specifically crystals.

I also love fossils, especially trilobites, plant fossils, and coral fossils. And plants - the usual decorative houseplants are in evidence in every room, but my special interests are haworthias, euphorbias and caudiciform succulents. They need a special environment, so this collection is not as large as it's been in the past, maybe less than 100 plants.

I guess I would also have to plead guilty to collecting jewelry, but that's really just an extension of the rock and mineral thing. I prefer semi-precious stones and silver to gold-and-diamonds (lucky me) and in my jewelery collection, Size Does Matter. Although I'm pretty petite, I love big, ornate, substantial pieces.

And clothes, yeah, I have a huge wardrobe of 'wearable art'; vintage stuff from the 1930's to 1980's. Not much dating from after that except things I might wear to go running or paint someone's house.

I don't think my collecting mania has a thing in the world to do with asexuality; I just happen to like stuff, y'know?

Well I try not to collect troo much to reduce needless clutter. I used to collect dog things and nurse things. Now i collect scrabble stuff. When I buy a ne wpurse,I say I am collecting htem.

Fun topic! I collect potcards and more postcards! I don't actually mean to collect them, I mean to send them. But I never send as many as I gather, so the drawer-fulls just keep growing. But I do send out a lot as well. My favorite sibling lives in the Czech Republic; he and I have been sending each other a postcard a day for the last 5 or 6 years. I call it my morning cup of coffee. Sometimes I send him one that I've had for 20 or 30 years. There are none that I have to hold on to indefinitely, except one framed one of Brigham Young and his wives (printed in 1906--it is 100 years old this year!). I love that postcard.

And, like Aeriel and Greybird, I save lots of natural stuff--rocks, leaves, shells, hornets' nests, birds' nests, driftwood, etc. My partner convinced me to part with most of the organic stuff for our move to Portland a month ago (we still managed to completely fill a 26-foot van!), but I sorely miss the fabulous twisted tree roots that I picked up from the site of a tornado that hit Salt Lake in 1999 (they had looked wonderful snaking down my coffee table). I had packed up all my shells and was going to leave them on a beach the next time I visited my family, "for the children of California to find," but then, since they were already in a box...

Yeah, I collect lots of stuff. Kind of a packrat, really. There are supposedly three groups of people who collect the most stuff--farmers, teachers, and artists. I am two of the three!

--Packrat Patty :)

And, like Aeriel and Greybird, I save lots of natural stuff--rocks, leaves, shells, hornets' nests, birds' nests, driftwood, etc. My partner convinced me to part with most of the organic stuff for our move to Portland a month ago (we still managed to completely fill a 26-foot van!), but I sorely miss the fabulous twisted tree roots that I picked up from the site of a tornado that hit Salt Lake in 1999 (they had looked wonderful snaking down my coffee table). I had packed up all my shells and was going to leave them on a beach the next time I visited my family, "for the children of California to find," but then, since they were already in a box...

)

You wouldn't be too popular with the Green community then! "Take nothing away but a memory..leave nothing behind but a footprint". It is aaginst the LAW in the UK now to take stones or shells off some beaches..and as for driftwood..why..that is close to high treason in some peoples eyes.. (btw if you get the slightest hint that I don't agree with this position you are not mistaken).

roddy

Smiles.

I could soothe the Greens by saying that most of my items were collected 30 or 40 years ago. And the things I parted with recently were not just thrown away, but retured to nature. But not usually to their original location (but how to leave a note explaining that? I guess the Greens would not be soothed after all...).

I have always planned on returning my shells to California some day (like when I'm 80). Growing up there, I used to be able to find shells so easily, but now when I go I rarely see one. But I have one sea urchin shell that I shall not give back, found with oily tar spot on it from the big Santa Barbara oil spill in the late 60's. It's a bit o' history that I want my children to have.

--Eco Terrorist T!

Adventuress Heart

Cool topic indeed.

I love collecting stuff, but I am very selective so my house doesn't get over crowded.

Things I've collected over the years:

- My gem and rock collection (My dad worked with precious gems when I was younger so we have a pretty wide collection. My favourite gem is a 20,000 dollar rare shaped teardrop Sapphire)

- Artifact collection: a collection of several ancient coins, jewelry, mini arrows, cape pins from around the Mesopotamian region.

Favourite piece: a small croissant gold earring (single piece)

- Silver Bedouin and afghani/yemeni jewelry.

- Afghani and Pakistani wall hangings, rugs and tribal crafts.

- Books (a lot of self help books and cook books)

- Star Wars - latest item (just received it today!!) is the Anakin Skywalker Lightsaber Limited Edition.

- I have a few collectable barbies in my sisters barbie collection which includes the movies and other collectable items.

Ohh and not to forget all the photographs of various regions I collect in folders on my zip drive.

Other things I'd like to collect in the future are clothing and textiles between 1700 - 1900.

I love the trails & we also collected or one of the things we do out here is repair old sites. No we aren't archeologist but like at Battleship, you can walk to the guppie hot pools and there are indian ruins near. No one has showed any interest in years but when we go we put some of the stones back for the dwellings.

We create scenes with stones... chuckle... a little like Marge Simpson aranging the squirrels when she went camping. But also like the medicine wheels. Sort of blending of man and nature.

There is a place that has 3 volcano domes. several have been collapsed and in one there is a guest book and the campers add candles and leave a message. We call it the candle cave. It's fun to read the entries.

We would go to tent rocks before it was a national park and pick up apache tears.... in the white sandy stacks of ash and rub our hands in the walls for our hands to be added to years of others. It's not great but it was cool to see a wall of hands. When they built a scientific museum in dallas I think.. they had everyone who worked on the project cast their hand imprints in clay and built an entire wall of it. It was amazing.

American Wildlife Federation Calandar once asked Native American artist to do their calandar. Well, they got in trouble after the contracts and the legal people started to run it. They rejected all of our works as it had too much human involved. After the third submission I withdrew. The other artist did too. It wasn't worth dealing with suits. Humans are kinda endangered too. Part of nature and belong. We breathe too.

Maybe it is embarassing, but I collect Barbie's.

I have the cool ones, though, like the Phantom and Christine, the Addams Family, the Munsters, etc.

I used to collect stickers, and still have my old sticker collection.

Adventuress Heart
Maybe it is embarassing, but I collect Barbie's.

I have the cool ones, though, like the Phantom and Christine, the Addams Family, the Munsters, etc.

I used to collect stickers, and still have my old sticker collection.

Nothing Embarassing about it, I like the dolls of the world collections as well as some that relate to movies and old shows. Also victorian/princess ones.

I collect nothing, it's sad.

Moved around every 4 years or less all my life and have never used anything larger than a 20' truck. I look around now and even though I go out of my way not to buy anything I don't need, I see needing a truck larger than 20' and it makes me nervous. I have to clean and organize the entire house and garage. (I do this twice a year)I have to get rid of everything that hasn't been used in a year for fear that if I had to move, it would create too much work trying to get rid of enough stuff to fit the necessary stuff in the truck. When people give me dust collectors or I see some goo-gaw in the store, the first thing that enters my mind is- (eventually)- how do I get rid of this? Will it fit in the trash? Will it burn? Will I have to make a trip to the dump? Is it worth selling if it's kept in the box? and I leave it on the shelf. I know, I know, what about sentimental value? It's as lost on me as sex.

I consider myself asexual now, with no regrets. I have a collection of brass items around the house (which look great when polished up and in candlelight). Since I crochet, I have this collection of yarn, which I didn't mean to turn into a collection, but I use it up and make lap blankets for disabled vets. Some of my collectibles, I got tired of and put on EBay (and some stuff of my son's, including D&D Stuff, like cards!). I do have a moose collection - somewhere in the attic. Long story on that!

BTW (by the way), I had my own business as a professional organizer, worked with folks with OCD, ADD, etc. Anyone needing advise on this, I will answer your questions.

Archived