Do I fall within the asexual spectrum?

thatsnotcooldude

thatsnotcooldude

Hi, everyone! Just for information, I am a 21 year old male and I am new here.

I come from a family where sexuality is not talked at all (even though they're surprisingly accepting for a Christian family) and, due to lack of social interactions during adolescence, my sexual orientation was never something I deeply pondered about.

Ever since I moved states and started going to uni, I finally started having a social life. I found a group 8 friends who are very sexually open and they became my best friends here. Anyways, 2 of them made advances on me (not counting strangers because I do not give much importance to those situations) where I found really hard to explain why I didn't wanna hook up with them. I think one of them misunderstood my half-assed explanation and most likely thinks I'm homosexual (which is not totally wrong because while I do not want to partake in sexual interactions with anyone, I do find men more "appealing" than women).

The thing is, I think I am asexual, but I am not sure. I do have a mild sex drive, but I never in my life wanted to "release" it with another person. I masturbate from time to time too. Is that enough to remove me from the asexual spectrum? Recently I've read about "aegosexuality" and thought about coming out as an asexual to them using this term, but I do not know whether or not it is a "valid" term. 

Even though I do wanna give them a decent explanation, this is also a matter of self-identification (which is more important). Thank you for reading this!!

Ps: Sorry for my bad english and any eventual wrong way of talking about sexuality. It is not something I'm used to and I'm still reading about it :)

• Like 2
Dreamsexual

• Like 1
NickyTannock

@thatsnotcooldude A belated welcome to AVEN!

You could be a Homoromantic Asexual.

Asexuality is not a lack of libido, but a lack of Sexual Attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to have sex with someone.
Meaning if what you're feeling doesn't lead to the desire to have sex with the person you're feeling it towards, then it's not Sexual Attraction, even if it is an attraction or arousal.
But there are other types of attraction besides Sexual Attraction.
There's Romantic Attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to have a romantic relationship with someone.
There's Sensual Attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to have intimate non-sexual physical contact with someone, like kissing or cuddling.
There's Aesthetic Attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to appreciate someone's aesthetic beauty.
There's Platonic Attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to have a deep friendship with someone.
And more.

Incidentally, it is a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake, and here's a Kung Fu Panda Cake,

sndb9yx8bpppuh4c8boq.jpg

• Like 1