When Should You Say?

GenderfluidCatLover

GenderfluidCatLover

Note: I’m only looking for responses that go with a sex-repulsed view personally, although feel free to put responses pertaining to sex-positive and sex-neutral asexuality as long as you mark it.

When should you tell your partner/a prospective partner that you’re asexual?

Personally I have a slight touch phobia, and this bleeds heavily into anything sexual, especially romantic actions like hugging, kissing, and sex. Just the idea gives me anxiety.

is this something I should tell people off the bat, for example in a bio on a dating profile, or when I’m asking someone out as an FYI? Or can I get away with telling someone later?

Should be some info on a dating profile imo. If dating someone you dont know who asks you out IRL, by third date. If dating a friend right away. 

Anthracite_Impreza

What Serran said.

I’m sex averse. Hope that counts.

What I would do is tell them right when the subject of sex comes up. I wouldn’t want to do it right when you start dating because it would probably seem kind of weird, and you don’t want to tell them right when they want to have sex. Just maybe if they ask if you would want to at some point, then tell them. 

5 minutes ago, NoraGrace said:

I’m sex averse. Hope that counts.

What I would do is tell them right when the subject of sex comes up. I wouldn’t want to do it right when you start dating because it would probably seem kind of weird, and you don’t want to tell them right when they want to have sex. Just maybe if they ask if you would want to at some point, then tell them. 

How far in do people wait to bring it up for you?

If you get to a point of real emotional connection the potential for them to feel lead on, lied to and stuck with two sucky choices (losing someone they care about and losing something very important to them that the loss of can make them feel depressed ). So... if you run into people who go slow and wait for serious feelings to bring up sex, waiting for them to mention can mean hurting them a lot. 

I’d say probably just try putting something simple like “not looking for a sexual relationship” or “looking for a romantic relationship” or something along those lines in your bio. 

Purple Wanderer

Straight away. Dont wanna start falling for someone, then Learn I can't get an occaisional hug! 

Oh god. This is how allos feel

Don't think you can "get away with" waiting -- it will only produce a bad situation if the other person feels that you have withheld something that's important to them in a relationship.  

As a sexual I would want to know right away.  I let people know my orientation right away (Bisexual) because I don't want to be stuck in a situation where someone feels disgusted or threatened by a big part of who I am.  It's not worth the emotional labor.

Archived