Is there a word for this?

Ace of Maids

Ace of Maids

So, I'm having a little trouble figuring out what my romantic orientation is. It took me a long time to figure out I was Ace, but now I know the difference between romantic attraction and sexual attraction, I know that I'm not into everyone equally (thought I was Pan for a couple of years). 

Not interested in men at all, but I know I like girls and nonbinary people, just can't figure out if there's a word for that, any suggestions?

Captain_Tass

Maybe polyromantic? It's when you like multiple genders, but not all. It's not to be confused with polyamorous (although both have the same prefix, "poly-" which means "many" in Greek). Hope I've helped!

Ace of Maids

You have! I really like that one, thank you!

Captain_Tass

You're welcome!

letusdeleteouraccounts

I don’t think polyromantic is the word. From my knowledge, it refers to basically bi but specifically includes a few other non-binary genders versus pan which specifically includes all non-binary genders. I don’t agree with the poly/pan orientations anyways because why are we making new orientations to represent an attraction to such a small percent of the population? Trans people make up less than 1% of us all and it becomes even smaller when you’re singling out non-binary. Your situation is also another reason why I don’t agree with labels like pan or poly. I think you should just worry about your attraction to women and recognize that you like androgyny as well as that you’re open to non-binary people

Anthracite_Impreza
2 hours ago, Star Lion said:

why are we making new orientations to represent an attraction to such a small percent of the population

Cos they exist? Cos they're also worthy of note?

letusdeleteouraccounts
9 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Cos they exist? Cos they're also worthy of note?

But they’re an extremely small portion of the population. I don’t see the purpose in creating a whole new orientation for a type of  person you’ll meet so rarely with the chance of meeting them far under 1%. It’s extremely insignificant (the amount of people with gender anomalies) and I think it makes a lot more sense for attraction to androgyny to just be left as an exception

Captain_Tass

@Star Lion Is it really that harmful that a word describing attraction to people like me, Anthra, Coddi, Custard and OP exists? Does it affect your everyday life?

Okay, suppose that us nonbinary people didn't exist for a second. The term "pansexual" would still be around, because there's a slight difference between "pansexual" and "bisexual". Bisexual is when a person is attracted to both AMAB and AFAB people. Pansexual is when a person is attracted to people regardless of their AGAB, so it doesn't matter to them if their SO is AMAB, AFAB or intersex.

But we do exist, and subsequently terms to describe attraction to us also exist. Also, not all of us are androgynous, in presentation or in behaviour.

By the way, I looked it up. 1% of people might sound like a miniscule percentage at first, but when you're talking about 1% of people, you're actually talking about like 77,145,769 people.

Edit: Misread one part of your question, so ignore that last paragraph.

Anthracite_Impreza
3 hours ago, Star Lion said:

gender anomalies

What Tass said. Also, no. You really should know better than to use the word 'anomalies'.

Custard Cream
4 hours ago, Star Lion said:

But they’re an extremely small portion of the population. I don’t see the purpose in creating a whole new orientation for a type of  person you’ll meet so rarely with the chance of meeting them far under 1%. It’s extremely insignificant (the amount of people with gender anomalies) and I think it makes a lot more sense for attraction to androgyny to just be left as an exception

I disagree with you on this. Non-binary genders deserve the same respect as binary ones. And as for the chances of meeting one, if you go to an ace meet up, the odds are extremely high...

letusdeleteouraccounts
6 hours ago, Life Of Tass said:

Is it really that harmful

I’m not exactly trying to say it’s harmful, I just advocate for simplicity of labels and working with ones that are popular unless creating one is absolutely necessary for differentiation

Pansexual is when a person is attracted to people regardless of their AGAB

I don’t agree with this because. For one, intersex is not a gender and many intersex people are assigned male or female despite their androgynous sex condition. Second thing is that your definition is more in the territory of preference rather than attraction. The definition you have is more a long the lines of “I would have sex with the person I’m sexually attracted to whether they’re cis or not cis” (considering that your attraction can’t detect a person’s genitals and you can’t tell a lot of trans people apart from cis people). Either way, there’s too many questions, complications, and exceptions when it comes to pansexuality and I don’t think it’s a necessary word

not all of us are androgynous, in presentation or in behaviour

My thought is that a straight person (for ex.) is not really going to care. They’ll still be attracted to you the same way they would be towards a cis person if you look like your assigned gender

6 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

You really should know better than to use the word 'anomalies'.

It happens less than 1% of the time and is

pretty comparable to intersex which is considered a “disorder of sex development.” I’m not seeing why it isn’t an anomaly

5 hours ago, CustardCream said:

I disagree with you on this. Non-binary genders deserve the same respect as binary ones. And as for the chances of meeting one, if you go to an ace meet up, the odds are extremely high...

Like I was saying, it happenes less than one percent of the time. Almost everyone you meet is going to be a cis person who isn’t intergender unless you directly go to an event to meet LGBTQ+ people. Yes, non-binary deserves the same respect (in a manners sense) but you also have to consider that non-binary is just a mix or lack of the binary and again, encorporates less than 1% of people

Anthracite_Impreza

@Star Lion I'm failing to understand why the percentage matters. Only 1% of people are asexual, but you don't say we shouldn't have a label. And as for "I don't see why it matters", well, there's more people than you in the world.

letusdeleteouraccounts
17 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

@Star Lion I'm failing to understand why the percentage matters. Only 1% of people are asexual, but you don't say we shouldn't have a label. And as for "I don't see why it matters", well, there's more people than you in the world.

I didn’t say non-binary people shouldn’t have a label so the asexual example doesn’t be really compare. Plus there’s a lot more asexuals than non-binary people. On the second part, I’m not inferring that I’m the only one that matters. I’m stating my opinion and you have the right to state yours

Anthracite_Impreza
4 minutes ago, Star Lion said:

Plus there’s a lot more asexuals than non-binary people. 

I don't think there's been anywhere near enough research on this to determine that, especially since enbies are still blatantly ignored almost everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Star Lion said:

I didn’t say non-binary people shouldn’t have a label so the asexual example doesn’t be really compare

No, you said attraction to enbies shouldn't have a label, and that's a direct comparison.

letusdeleteouraccounts
1 minute ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I don't think there's been anywhere near enough research on this to determine that, especially since enbies are still blatantly ignored almost everywhere.

There is though research saying that the trans population is less than one percent whether that includes enbies or not. I’d imagine non binary trans people are much less that amount either way

2 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

No, you said attraction to enbies shouldn't have a label, and that's a direct comparison

It literally doesn’t and there isn’t a direct comparison to the situation. The closest comparison you’d get would be an attraction to asexuals which wouldn’t make sense. The direct comparison for asexuals having a label is non-binaries having a label

The question I have is that if there's a word for it, would it be understood well enough for it to actually get a message across in the real world?

Archived