erf

4 minutes ago, Aimeendfire said:

Comics like marvel or comics like manga? 

Marvel, or anything like that

I like the 30 Days of Night graphic novel (it's basically like the film adaptation), and what I read of Sin City and Watchmen seemed cool. My brother is a fan of Akira but he warned me that the manga is really disturbing.

2 hours ago, Jade Cross said:

I buy mangas of different genres so I guess it depends of what type of story are you looking to read: Romance, horror, action, isekai?

I was specifically talking about the Marvel and DC kind of comics but is there any manga similar to that kind of stuff? 

3 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

Strictly story wise, you can find mangas that may have some similarities, although Im afraid the format and art style may not be as appealing if youre looking for the artstyle of comics.

Yes, I mean story wise, I actually love the manga artstyle. What are some mangas like that?

Writer In The Forest

I personally love the Ultimate Spider-man comics from 2009 and the ones with Miles Morales in them. There's some great X-men, Fantastic Four, and Deadpool (of course, though watch out on that last one) comics out there if you know where to look. I just read mostly online. I've got a soft spot for the Young Justice and Teen Titans comics in the DC 'verse. Sorry that this isn't very specific. Oh, the Earth One DC things rock. And I read this graphic novel called "What Could Possibly Go Wrong?" by Prudence Shen that was hilarious. Can't go wrong with the Invincible series (Robert Kirkman). The comic Walking Dead was recommended to me by a friend and it's pretty good so far. But gory. Very very gory. But it's zombies, what do you expect?

Unfortunately, I haven't been reading a whole lot of comic recently (doesn't mean I'm not reading them at all though) so I might be slightly out of touch.

My two favorites in the superhero genre are Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel.  Both of them have good representation and a sense of humor.

As for manga, I'm partial to Blue Exorcist.  If you like the shojo genre, Fruits Basket is a classic.

WinterWanderer

I'm into Marvel comics. I bought a Marvel Unlimited subscription, and have been using it to read back through past issues. My favorite series so far are Rocket Raccoon by Skottie Young, the Infinity Gauntlet collection by Jim Starlin, and the new Nova series (starting in 2013-ish).

2 hours ago, Fioryn said:

I'm into Marvel comics. I bought a Marvel Unlimited subscription, and have been using it to read back through past issues. My favorite series so far are Rocket Raccoon by Skottie Young, the Infinity Gauntlet collection by Jim Starlin, and the new Nova series (starting in 2013-ish).

Would those series be easy for somebody completely new to comics to understand or is there some catching up I'd need to do? Because I know that there are some series that somebody new to comics wouldn't understand because they are connected to another series.

WinterWanderer
1 hour ago, Carson:) said:

Would those series be easy for somebody completely new to comics to understand or is there some catching up I'd need to do? Because I know that there are some series that somebody new to comics wouldn't understand because they are connected to another series.

Yup! Those are all easy to follow if you're familiar with the characters from the movies. I've found them to be great sources of info on major plotlines and minor characters, too.

But yeah, it's kinda hard to figure out what's going on when reading a lot of Marvel series. I'm currently starting with 2012 and reading forward in order. I was told this would be one of the easiest points to jump in and start reading in chronological order. But I've still found it confusing.

Mysterywriter221

I've been enjoying the Spider-Gwen comics. It's inspired me to take up aerial yoga. 

RenalWaldo

Atomic Robo is one of my favorites.

Transformers, Ninja Turtles, Sonic the Hedgehog, or almost anything else published by IDW is a solid choice.

Bone, by Jeff Smith, is amazing, if you like high-fantasy epics that also feature funny little cartoon people.

RenalWaldo

The Mega Man comics are smart, endearing, and very faithful to the games.  Archie cancelled it several years ago, so the story only goes up through Mega Man 3.  They did a couple crossovers with Sonic, and it was one if the best done crossovers I’ve ever seen. (Ian Flynn wrote for both comics.  That surely helped.)

I guess I'll put also something I like on my own thread. I have read the first two issues of "I am Groot" by Christopher Hastings and I am liking it so far, I think I'm going to buy the rest of it.

Archived