Everybody's favorite genre?

What is everyone's favorite genre of literature? I'm into pretty much everything but Harlequin Romance and some of the more popular westerns Right now, though, I'm really into Southern Gothic / grit lit. Its so real to my experience of the south and the often strange, monomaniacal individuals you can run into below the Mason/Dixon line. 

firewallflower

If I had to choose one genre, probably fantasy. I pretty much like it all, though.

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

Fantasy!

Captain_Tass

Hmm... It's usually whatever I happen to come across in the bookstore/library that catches my eye, but if I have to go with a particular genre, I'm going to have to go with magical realism. Especially "One hundred years of solitude". Man, I love that book!

I don’t have the patience for reading but I listen to a lot of audiobooks if that counts - personally I love horror and sci-fi and fantasy are both great. Not into paranormal type stories though.

Dreamsexual

everywhere and nowhere

Probably reportage. I read mostly non-fiction.

I've always loved science fiction.  My favorite stories are the ones that aren't just cautionary tales about "if this goes on", but actively imagine how we could make the future better, which is much harder to do.  My favorite author would have to be Ursula Le Guin.  I also like Octavia Butler, but sometimes the body horror in her stories is too much for me.

My first loves are science fiction and fantasy, followed by mystery, romance, action adventure, and the occasional western. I also love it when all those are mixed up together and thrown into a blender. Urban fantasy (as opposed to Paranormal romance) is my preference these days - stuff like Peter Grant, Alex Verus, among others.

55 minutes ago, Ardoise said:

sometimes the body horror in her stories is too much for me

If you don't mind me asking, what is it about body horror that bothers you? ( One of my favorite movie makers is David Cronenberg and he is known for body horror and that's why I ask).

Body horror is the depiction of massive mutations or changes to the human form caused by some agent that "hijacks" the body itself. For instance the werewolf scene in An American Werewolf in London or the changes wrought on Brindle in The Fly remake from 1986. I think because the changes are caused by a disease or mutation separates body from gore horror even though the changes can be quite gory and graphic. The best body horror usually correlates the changes in the body to some change in or expression of the character of the person undergoing the change. Think of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Hope that helps! 

Aimeendfire

That’s interesting.i wouldn’t think of those scenes as horror though.

As for my favorite genre it’s post apocalyptic books . 

True crime. I love reading about serial killers and the like.

Another for fantasy, and I also like various other genres (science fiction, space opera, westerns, mystery (noir and cozy), some historical fiction, adventure, humor (which can also be paired with other genres), steam punk, etc.).

I'm incredibly picky and as a very slow reader with a lot of other interests in my life, I have to really be hooked. Typically, though, I favour high fantasy and space operas and historical fiction in periods that interest me. Lots of graphic novels in those realms, and because I work at a library I also read a lot of kids books so I can be better at recommending.

Good non-fiction is also a major draw, but mostly from historical periods that interest me and sports books that aren't shallow.

Alejandrogynous

I can get into pretty much any genre as long as it's well done, but for the most part I read fantasy, horror, literary fiction, and beat lit.

Nonfiction but mainly about memoirs like Waiter’s rant or Tuesdays with morrie or about pathogens and science. 

But I have picked up on non superhero and slice of life visual novels 

Celyn: The Lutening

Yet another fantasy fan!

2nd - detective/spy novels

3rd - popular (including not so popular) science books about biology and psychology 

16 hours ago, ByeYall! said:

Body horror is the depiction of massive mutations or changes to the human form caused by some agent that "hijacks" the body itself. For instance the werewolf scene in An American Werewolf in London or the changes wrought on Brindle in The Fly remake from 1986. I think because the changes are caused by a disease or mutation separates body from gore horror even though the changes can be quite gory and graphic. The best body horror usually correlates the changes in the body to some change in or expression of the character of the person undergoing the change. Think of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Hope that helps! 

Other examples would be Frankenstein's Monster (a mix of different body parts stolen from graves), The Island of Dr. Moreau (people and animals kidnapped and turned to combinations of both), the pustules injected into Baron Harkonen's face in Lynch's Dune ...

@fuzzipueo the human bodies used for incubators in Aliens, anything by Junji Ito, the baby in Eraserhead, all the freaky meltoids in the film Society ( if you like body horror I would suggest checking that one out)...

• Storm and Stress, like Faust, the tragedy
  • classic, like The Song of the Nibelungs
  • Science Fiction, like Star Wars
  • satire
  • scientific stuff (I don't know the correct term for this genre), like Views of Nature by Alexander von Humboldt
Grumpy Alien

Does fanfiction count? 😂

I also enjoy comics, ranging from the lighthearted humor type (Lucky Penny) to serious (Persepolis).  Fantasy is another of my favorite genres.  I love Lord of the Rings and Earthsea, but also newer stuff like N.K Jemisin's work.

Increasingly unsure. Probably non -fiction especially if the subject matter is Earth Science. Regarding fiction, individual books rather than specific genres. No romance with any female protagonists though.

Mysterywriter221

I love mysteries and small stakes sci-fi. I get bored when the entire universe is at risk. Just give me a handful of characters and something that impacts them on a personal level and I'm happy. 

Fantasy or sf, but sometimes I also like mysteries or historical fiction (the kind that's not all romance-y). Mostly the first two, though. For fantasy I generally prefer stuff that's more on the epic and slightly dark/low magic end, and for sf I like everything from hard science fiction to the occasional space opera or even what could more be termed space fantasy. That's probably the genre I'm least picky about.

Looks like I'm the oddball here, as I like neither sci-fi nor fantasy. Give me the real deal.

Archived