Thoughts on the grey-ace flag

Ayra Star

Does anyone else really dislike the current grey-asexual flag? (purple-grey-white-grey-purple)

I think I may be grey-ace but am super disappointed by its flag. To me the colours just do not work at all. They don't blend well - the purple looks too bright and the grey is too dull. I think with maybe a lilac purple it would work better though.

I assume obviously we can't do anything to change it but I was wondering what everyone else thought? Do you like it? Do you hate it? What do you think?

f1ef02b4f9e7faf5454f2a8ae0805b10.jpg

letusdeleteouraccounts

The graysexual flag could definitely use work. The color pattern doesn’t really feel right and I think it should have something to represent that it’s a micro label of other sexual orientations

Yeah it’s weird. I agree it would look better with lilac instead of the bright purple. Or maybe the same purple and darker gray.

I thought gray aces were included in the ace flag? The whole gray stripe part...?

Excuse my ignorance but what does the purple represent? in both the ace and gray-ace flags? I always  wondered as I just thought the white was ace and the black was allo.

Captain_Tass

Hmm... Yeah. If the purple were a bit more on the bluer side and the gray were darker it would be vastly improved.

I'm grace and grey-ro, as well as sapphic so I just use this one flag instead of three seperate ones. I suppose I lucked out, because although it's not widely used, I think it's really beautiful and well designed!

Spoiler

tumblr_plr3uve5Bq1xc3zqpo1_400.jpg

2 minutes ago, K.I.N.G said:

Excuse my ignorance but what does the purple represent? in both the ace and gray-ace flags? I always  wondered as I just thought the white was ace and the black was allo.

Purple represents community!

My thought was "there's a greysexual flag?"

9 minutes ago, Life Of Tass said:

Purple represents community!

Ah gotcha thanks!

Glad some of you agree!!

Even just simple subtle designs like these two would be a huge improvement (to me anyway):

5ade7e6bad7f3420594d1a040c4dbc02.jpg

^^like the ace flag but slightly greyer, with lilac which I think is a 'greyish purple'

Or:

db0b3af5bdee2fafa217a6ca0ef53569.jpg

^^since the black isn't in the original one this one follows that theme, but adds a bit more purple and looks greyer overall

I know it's like impossible to change flags one they're first made, but just thought I'd show you guys these to see if you like them!

Agentr9154

I think the purple is just a too weird of a shade definitely.Blue would fit it better I think.

Agentr9154
2 hours ago, Ayra Star said:

Glad some of you agree!!

Even just simple subtle designs like these two would be a huge improvement (to me anyway):

5ade7e6bad7f3420594d1a040c4dbc02.jpg

^^like the ace flag but slightly greyer, with lilac which I think is a 'greyish purple'

Or:

db0b3af5bdee2fafa217a6ca0ef53569.jpg

^^since the black isn't in the original one this one follows that theme, but adds a bit more purple and looks greyer overall

I know it's like impossible to change flags one they're first made, but just thought I'd show you guys these to see if you like them!

I like the first one a bit more since it has the black that contrast to the other lighter colors.Both look good tho.

chairdesklamp

@Ayra Star I like the second one a bit better. The black on the first one has the same "sudden boldness" problem as the purple on the first to me, but the second one feels very even.

@chairdesklamp  I think I prefer the second one too. Like you said it doesn't have the bold black and it seems altogether more 'grey', which makes sense for a grey-ace flag. That and it still pays homage to the normal ace flag with its white and grey and lighter shade of purple. 

letusdeleteouraccounts
5 hours ago, Ayra Star said:

@chairdesklamp  I think I prefer the second one too. Like you said it doesn't have the bold black and it seems altogether more 'grey', which makes sense for a grey-ace flag. That and it still pays homage to the normal ace flag with its white and grey and lighter shade of purple. 

I’m preferring the second one as well. It gives the sense of “incomplete” which is what graysexuality pretty much represents

@Star Lion exactly!

*sigh* if only it were easy to change it

21 hours ago, Morgan123 said:

Symbolism is important, but if your flag’s so hideous no one wants to wave it, it’s not doing it’s job.

^^ That's an excellent point. It's pretty much my exact thoughts towards the current greysexual one - I don't like it and therefore I don't use it. 

21 hours ago, Morgan123 said:

I’ve never seen the greysexual flag before.

Maybe that's why you've never seen it before! Because no one wants to use it 😄

• 2 weeks later...

Also I'm not aro but I thought I might as well make a grey-aro version of my 2nd grey-ace flag design (which seemed more popular than the first)

This is the original grey-aro one:

tumblr_inline_ncshtt2Waw1sj2pex.png

(again, I think the colours just don't blend as nicely, and are too bold for a 'grey' sexuality/romantic orientation)

--and here's my version:

94c1ecc95b01e49321f66dbad47e39c6.jpg

what do you guys think?

(the bottom green colour was taken from the general aromantic flag)

36 minutes ago, Ayra Star said:

Also I'm not aro but I thought I might as well make a grey-aro version of my 2nd grey-ace flag design (which seemed more popular than the first)

This is the original grey-aro one:

tumblr_inline_ncshtt2Waw1sj2pex.png

(again, I think the colours just don't blend as nicely, and are too bold for a 'grey' sexuality/romantic orientation)

--and here's my version:

94c1ecc95b01e49321f66dbad47e39c6.jpg

what do you guys think?

(the bottom green colour was taken from the general aromantic flag)

Yours is far more aesthetically pleasing. Just to say, as a flag, the colours may blend a bit too well; obviously it’s difficult, but sometimes using less colours can be just as effective (of course, that can make it hard to get the symbolism across).

https://nava.org/good-flag-bad-flag/

I find the above link pretty handy for flag design (although many an excellent flag has broken those guidelines). You may have heard of Good Flag Bad Flag, but it’s there anyway in case someone’s interested.

But overall, I very much like your design (although I’m not grey aro, so it’s not me it would represent). 

KoiFishShoes
On 5/21/2019 at 12:28 PM, Morgan123 said:

There are a lot of problems with flags in queer communities (excuse my inner vexillologist!): too many colours, complicated patterns, confusing similarity. Symbolism is important, but if your flag’s so hideous no one wants to wave it, it’s not doing it’s job.

I had the similarity problem at Pride last weekend. Two different people mistook my ace flag pin for the nonbinary flag. 

I never really thought about the flag before ... I don't know to say many people recognize it

Archived