Coming out?

sad_pawn

I've only came out to my mom and my therapist. The reaction wasn't negative, but in both cases, I was met with a lot of skepticism. I've done my best to fully explain my feelings to my mom, and she hasn't been too weird about it, although I'm pretty sure she blames it on my depression/lack of a proper father figure in childhood (so thinks I'm broken somehow which auch). My therapist was more "how do you know without experimenting?" and... yeah. I don't go to her anymore cause we had a lot of other issues with miscommunication and such.

Have you came out to anyone? Have you met with more positive or negative reactions? This is also a threat for all people who haven't came out yet to share their possible concerns and just vent.

letusdeleteouraccounts

The reactions for me are usually positive or a “that’s weird” but you should’ve asked your therapist ‘how do you know that you’re not gay without experimenting hmm?’ But I wouldn’t completely dismiss your asexuality being caused by depression or any of the such but that’s to be discussed with an appropriate therapist

Dreamsexual

I’ve never actually came out to anyone directly. They just kind of figure it out. 

Like one of my friends is also asexual and she saw my asexual ring and as like, “oh, are you asexual too?” And I just said yeah.

I feel like I really won’t come out to my parents directly. They’ll either find out themselves, or I’ll bring home a girlfriend then tell them. 

1 minute ago, Star Lion said:

But I wouldn’t completely dismiss your asexuality being caused by depression or any of the such but that’s to be discussed with an appropriate therapist

I doubt it. I'm not even sex repulsed, I am not afraid of intimacy, and I'm open to queerplatonic (or even potentially romantic) relationships. I've never had an issue with the fact that I'm asexual either. Even if it's caused by my depression, which I doubt, it's not a problem for me, therefore, I don't care to focus on "fixing" that part of me.

I came out to my brother yesterday.  It went fine- he told me that he had already guessed, then told me about his girlfriend.  With those personal revelations over, we went back to talking about Dungeons & Dragons in about a minute.

Dreamsexual
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:57 PM, Ardoise said:

I came out to my brother yesterday.  It went fine- he told me that he had already guessed, then told me about his girlfriend.  With those personal revelations over, we went back to talking about Dungeons & Dragons in about a minute.

Fluffy Femme Guy

Only some close friends know, but neither of my parents care either way if I'm with someone or not and were never the "Why aren't you dating?"/"We want grandkids!" types, my extended family has never made any deal either way about dating/marriage/kids.

HazyShadeofFall

I've only come out to one person so far, a very close friend. It took a lot of build-up over several weeks, but in the end it was a good experience. I started out just talking about how I had never had a crush, how I wasn't interested in dating, how the few dates I did go on made me uncomfortable, etc., without putting a label on it. A few weeks later he shared an article about asexuality in a certain anime with me and we talked about that for a bit, and then a week or two later I finally told him I was asexual myself. And he had a positive reaction! He asked for clarification on what exactly it means, but besides that, his response was basically just, "Cool."

Archived