body attraction

is it weird if i'm attracted to bodies? it's absolutely in a non sexual way like i can see abs or big arms and i'm like "damn their  body is great" but i don't feel anything sexual. It's the same as i see girls or boys and i find them attractive in an aesthetic way. Like i can tell if someone is hot (as in attractive) or not but i still don't feel any sexual tension or whatever. 

Am i still asexual? 

• Like 1
Dreamsexual

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CBC said:

I guess you can like the aesthetics of the human form, sure. I know lots of people who are artistic types find bodies visually appealing. Photographers, painters, etc.

i'm not artistic at all but i still find bodies visually appealing i'm starting to think this is weird 

Anthracite_Impreza

My mate says human bodies are beautiful; I don't understand it myself...

1 minute ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

My mate says human bodies are beautiful; I don't understand it myself...

i don't think human bodies are all beautiful either it really depends on each person's body

NickyTannock

It's not weird, and you're still Asexual.

Asexuality is a lack of Sexual Attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to have sex with someone.

But there are other types of attraction besides Sexual Attraction.

And what you describe would be Aesthetic Attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to appreciate someone's aesthetic beauty.

• Like 2

I get you. I had the same question when I first joined AVEN because I knew people could be like pretty or hot and I would be like 'damn' but not in a sexual way. As some have said it is Aesthetic attraction. And I am still asexual XD lol it's like looking at nice shiny things I guess

1 hour ago, AwkwardSquid said:

I get you. I had the same question when I first joined AVEN because I knew people could be like pretty or hot and I would be like 'damn' but not in a sexual way. As some have said it is Aesthetic attraction. And I am still asexual XD lol it's like looking at nice shiny things I guess

thank you for your answer! I understand better now :)

• Like 1

I like to think my 'artistic eye' and, as I joked about on another thread, being a coach of a women's sports team, caused me to look at 'beauty' as it relates to the aesthetics/desired traits of my hobbies without much sexual desire attached to it.  But I've become interested in evolutionary psychology (am no expert, so forgive me if too simple), and wonder if we also have - to varying degrees - some deep down attraction to traits that demonstrate health in a mate even if we aren't interested in actually 'mating'? Some reading here: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/articles/201707/why-we-want-who-we-want

If one doesn't buy that, I also wonder about the influence of culture? If the media, and the wider public echoing their statements, say certain things are 'most attractive', we might grow to believe that the same way we tend to say the movie or song everyone's talking about is 'the best', despite its flaws or aspects we don't really care for. Deep down, and once compared to all other options, individuals might have unique likes and things that don't do it for them and certainly not at all on a personal level, but with some acknowledgement that those are the things everyone else seems to love? As such, maybe we've been conditioned (in the Western world, at least) to believe things like six packs and cheek bones and dimples and C-cups are 'the best'?

Well about me, for example I think Tom Hiddleston is pretty handsome and it's pleasing to watch him (and he is of course really great actor) but it's more aesthetic attraction, not sexual.

Anthracite_Impreza
2 hours ago, robnrdbrd said:

But I've become interested in evolutionary psychology (am no expert, so forgive me if too simple), and wonder if we also have - to varying degrees - some deep down attraction to traits that demonstrate health in a mate even if we aren't interested in actually 'mating'? Some reading here: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/articles/201707/why-we-want-who-we-want

Certainly doesn't work for all of us. Some of us aren't attracted to humans at all ;)

• Like 1
kiaroskuro

Aesthetic attraction doesn't make sense to me, aesthetic appreciation does. Attraction means being drawn to someone/something, it involves some sort of longing for interaction. At least that's how I define it.

By the way, have you heard about sensual attraction, @hind ? Maybe that's what you experience.

Dreamsexual

Anthracite_Impreza
6 minutes ago, kiaroskuro said:

Aesthetic attraction doesn't make sense to me, aesthetic appreciation does. Attraction means being drawn to someone/something, it involves some sort of longing for interaction. At least that's how I define it.

Yeah, you're drawn to staring. I can definitely see a massive difference between attractive car (ooph, yes, phwoar, gorgeous) and an attractive horse (aw, that's pretty).

• Like 1
wirewalker

I definitely find people good-looking sometimes. I can appreciate somebody's face or even other parts of their body (occasionally). Most "typically attractive" things (such as muscles, abs, cheekbones, rear ends, etc) do nothing for me, though. And even when I find someone aesthetically pleasing, it's not sexual at all.

kiaroskuro
16 hours ago, cigarettesatmidnight said:

Maybe it's because your aro? I don't know, but that's sounds so weird to me. To me, pitbulls and pugs are the most pretty dogs (apreciation), but I would rather buy a bullterrier, because even though I know he is ugly, I like it, it appeals to me (attraction). 

Maybe I'm weird and like ugly stuff but can appreciate beauty 🙄

No, I don't think it's because I'm grey-romantic.

I mean, I can find a person aesthetically pleasing, but the fact that I like to look at someone has nothing to do with my asexual or romantic orientation, because .... it's just looks, you know? I don't want anything from them, except maybe a lifesize poster for my walls 😄 (Just kidding.)

In a similar way, I have problems with this whole debate on sexual attraction: I never understood how you could define it as anything other than 'desire for partnered sex'.

And bullterriers ... well, why not? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder 🙂

On 5/16/2019 at 8:54 PM, kiaroskuro said:

By the way, have you heard about sensual attraction, @hind ? Maybe that's what you experience.

i searched more about aesthetic and sensual attractions and they both define me. So what does that make me?