Research Request: Wellness, Social Support and Microaggressions

Jarle

Hi all, 

We received the following form Elisa from Northern Illinois University:

You are invited to participate in a dissertation study titled Wellness in Asexual Identified Individuals: The Impact of Social Support and Microaggressions being conducted by Elisa M Woodruff, MS Ed, LPC, NCC, a doctoral candidate at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Illinois, United States of America under the direction of dissertation chairpersons Dr. Adam Carter, PhD, LCPC, ACS. This study has been approved by the Northern Illinois University Internal Review Board.

In order to qualify for the study, you must be 18 years or older and self-identify as asexual or on the asexual spectrum. You will be asked to answer survey questions that will take approximately 20 to 25 minutes. At the end of the survey, you will have the option of entering to win one of 10 gift cards from Amazon valuing $25 USD.

Please click the attached link to begin the survey. https://niu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8q7JIXFsNed4V6Z

This study has been approved by the Research Approval Board. 

Dreamsexual

I was wondering, when should I check my e-mail to see if I got a gift card?

redwood426
12 minutes ago, Light02 said:

I was wondering, when should I check my e-mail to see if I got a gift card?

Hi Light02 -- It may take several weeks or possibly a month or two due to the required minimum number of participants I need before moving to the next step in my study. If you are one of the winners, the email will be clearly marked as such. Please let me know if you have additional questions. Have a great day!  Elisa

knittinghistorian

I think I'm an outlier, because I haven't ever, or very rarely, experienced most of the microaggressions listed.  My hypothesis is that the ace/aro spectrum actually runs pretty strong in my family.  Which is interesting.  I came out to my grandma (conservative grandmas often, I gather, being a source of stress for asexuals), and her reaction was basically "Yeah, I know what you mean.  So are you going to help me pick a restaurant or what?"

I've  gone through the survey, and quite frankly, some of the questions on the first section deserve neutral or N/A. I'm an atheist, so those questions about whether my religion or spirituality aren't exactly relevant.

Additionally, I'm not out in meatspace, so the questions about whether I've experienced microaggressions might give misleading answers. To be honest, I'm not sure what the last time I've actually seen or heard `asexual' in meatspace is (so I guess `having to fill out my sexual identity as `other' on a survey has happened once or twice, although that wasn't included in this set of questions IIRC).

The study has reached its quota of participants! So you will get a message about that if you try to participate now. Thanks to everyone that contributed to this study!!

Archived