Existentialism

Crazycrazycultist

Existentialism...  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What age do you think is common to start thinking existentially? If, at all?

• As young as 5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 21 or onwards
    • There is no age range

This poll is closed to new votes

Crazycrazycultist

What are everyone's thoughts here?

Crazycrazycultist
Just now, Aimeendfire said:

Existentialism is a bitch. 

Good point.

Just Somebody

One day, when I was young as 5, I was watching a soccer game with dad through tv, then I asked mom if our lives are being watched as part of a TV show, then she said something about "God's plan" but it doesn't really matter right now.

I think anyone who has had a pet or loved one die is introduced to the horrors of existence so its not impossible for a kid to ask the big questions associated with existentialism. 

Crazycrazycultist
Just now, ByeYall! said:

I think anyone who has had a pet or loved one die is introduced to the horrors of existence so its not impossible for a kid to ask the big questions associated with existentialism. 

I get that!

I'm not sure how common this is in other people, but when I was around 4 I started having thoughts that were basically why I and the people and stuff around me existed and what if the universe was just a black void with nothing instead.

I remember having strange moments when I was younger where I would wonder how my senses were giving me information.  Like a small Descartes, I suppose.

However, between my Christian beliefs and my passion for science, I've never been an existentialist.

Crazycrazycultist
15 minutes ago, Ardoise said:

I remember having strange moments when I was younger where I would wonder how my senses were giving me information.  Like a small Descartes, I suppose.

However, between my Christian beliefs and my passion for science, I've never been an existentialist.

That sounds about right!

everywhere and nowhere

I have no idea at what age is it common, but I distinctly remember having existential thoughts around the age of seven or eight. At that point I felt a very strong, frightening realisation that infinity and eternity can't exist and simultaneously can't not exist. Thinking about it was frightening: I was thinking logically that it's impossible for something to have no end, but if, for example, the Universe has an end, than there must be something beyond this "end", there can't be just a great wall in space and nothing on the other side.

nineGardens

Okay, so this is probably a good place to ask: Just what the heck IS existentialism?

Aimeendfire

Realizing that nothing matters...oh wait that’s nihilism.

hmm realizing that you technically don’t matter..? 

Dreamsexual

Crazycrazycultist
42 minutes ago, nineGardens said:

Okay, so this is probably a good place to ask: Just what the heck IS existentialism?

I'm surprised nobody's asked THAT already!

Just Somebody
On 5/13/2019 at 6:23 PM, Dreamsexual said:

Existential questions are ones pertaining to existence (hence exist-ential), like 'Why am I here?', 'What is stuff?', and other 'big' questions.

Existentialism is a branch of philosphy that focuses a lot on the nature of lone, free human existence in a world presupposed to be devoid of over-arching meaning and purpose - it asks, 'So, given you are alone in a meaningless void, what will you choose as your own purpose, even if it has no objective value?'  Satre and co - doomed to be free.

Actually... that's the funny part of existing with free will, we are so free that nature can't push over us meanings or purposes for our existences. So we are free to give whatever meaning or purpose (or none, thats also a possibility) to our lives as we please.

Anyway... what matters is what do you wish that the meaning of (your) life was? 

It's all a matter of perspective.... looking at an middle-filled glass of water, we could take an pessimistic  perspective and notice  that it's  half empty, or instead we could take an optimistic perspective and notice that it's half full and maybe even motivating enough for someone to decide to stand and do something to fill it again.

Dreamsexual
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:32 PM, Just Somebody said:

It's all a matter of perspective.... looking at an middle-filled glass of water, we could take an pessimistic  perspective and notice  that it's  half empty or we could take an optimistic perspective and notice that it's half full.

Just Somebody
Just now, Dreamsexual said:

I've been a pessimist most of life.  For a while, though I've been an optimist.  I'm quite happy, existentially :)

I edited my last paragraph in that second.

"Only you knows what's better for you."

Skycaptain

Probably school age for most, but maybe never for some 

• 1 year later...

@Crazycrazycultist

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived