Eurovision Song Contest thread!

ben8884

A thread for all Eurovision fans to discuss all things Eurovision. 

everywhere and nowhere

I'm not a Eurovision fan, first of all because I just don't fancy mainstream music - I prefer psychedelic rock and ethnic music. However, every now and then (every few years ;)) I catch some Eurovision news. So these aren't news, but the second example can be very interesting to people interested in drag queen performances, gender-bending...

1. I was happy when the Ukrainian singer Jamala won the Eurovision. :) I had known her before. "1944" is interesting, dramatic (it tells about the deportation of Crimean Tatars from the peninsula in 1944 - Stalin, as usual, accused them of collaboration with the Nazis (he did exactly the same with Chechens, Volga Germans and some other ethnic groups, as an excuse for persecution) and the whole nation was deported to Central Asia.

TW: a gruesome detail.

Spoiler

At some point some aparatchiks noticed than success of the operation has already been announced, but a few villages with people still remained. They packed all the people from these villages on ships, and then... sunk the ships in the middle of the Black Sea, so that the announcement would be accurate: no Tatars remaining in Crimea.

Jamala, too, was born in Osh in today's Kyrgyzstan, then her family returned to Crimea and she graduated from a music school in Simferopol, unless I'm mistaken. And after the Russian Anschluss, due to her support for the Euromaidan and unity of Ukraine, she was judged a "Banderite" and removed from the board with pictures of famous graduates. :angry:

Anyway, back to less serious stuff, she's really talented, an amazing voice range. Check out her performance of "History Repeating" because this is where she really shows it.

2. The year when the Austrian drag queen Conchita Wurst won the Eurovision, Poland presented quite a disgusting song "We the Slavs" by Donatan & Cleo. It's really sexist, with lyrics such as "We the Slavic girls know how to use body language, we know how to move what our mommy gave us in genes" and a slightly more benign take on sex tourism - foreigners are encouraged to look for Slavic women as potential wives, not necessarily prostitutes. Still, I call it "Donatan pandering Polish girls". And when Conchita Wurst won, that boor said that she's some pervert and their song was wholesome, but alas, the jury prefers perversions...

Enter Kim Lee. Kim Lee is Poland's probably best-known and quite exotic drag queen - she's an immigrant from Vietnam who started studying physics in Poland and stayed to first sell clothes like many Vietnamese immigrants, and then to become a famous drag queen. So a guy from the left-wing magazine and think tank Political Critique came up with an idea: let's shoot a parody of Donatan & Cleo's song with Kim Lee (and some singer, to avoid the risk that Donatan could sue them because of his copyrights), let's pierce the hot air balloon of Donatan's sexist and homophobic ego. This is the result. Some conservatives, homophobes wrote: "What? Guy as a girl, Vietnamese as a Slav??" - and no, it's obviously not about that. The parody would probably never have been created if Donatan hadn't made the situation worse with his homo-/transphobic comments.

Btw, how to insert videos as pictures can be inserted?

• 2 weeks later...

Noooo Italy :( I really wanted Italy to win so badly. They just never win but they’re always so good. But second place is good too. Italy was my second favorite. and the singer is hot af

I’m not sad that The Netherlands won, that song’s good too. And they deserved it especially after all those years. It will be nice to see them host next year. And I’m soo happy that North Macedonia didn’t win. Even Sweden would’ve been a better winner than that lol

Slovenia’s my favorite, I wish they would’ve reached the top 10. Iceland was pretty epic.

But San Marino in the final was probably the most random thing ever xD

I’d say I’m fairly satisfied with the top 5. 

Surprised with how it went. Watching it, I'd have thought top two would be contested between Australia & Sweden.

Our two gals from Germany getting a big fat zero points from the public televote was an "ouch" moment, though. Not that the hadn't been meh enough to deserve ending up near the bottom, but zero points at all... that stung. 😂

I was almost ready to faint when Verka sang TOY.

Sweden droped by the viwers votes as expected.

It's only Monday now and the final was last Saturday but somehow it feels like it was such a long time ago. It feels so distant, like it's been an eternity since it happened. Maybe it's because of this irregular sleep pattern that I have. Everything is so messed up 

30 minutes ago, Kimmie. said:

Sweden droped by the viwers votes as expected.

But not nearly as badly as last year... Sweden was much better this year 

I kinda thought Israel did a poor job of hosting this year and honestly not a lot of great songs. I did like Denmark as well as Germany. I am glad the Netherlands won as its been a long time for them, I didn't think the UK was that great but it also didn't deserve last place. The whole thing was waaaay too long though with too many skits and such. 

SallyBlackwater

I was really happy with the top 3! "Arcade" wasn't in my personal top 3, but I recognize its beauty and Duncan Laurence's talent, I'm happy that he won. I'm also really happy for Mahmood, finally my country gets recognized, and for a good song. Sergey Lazarev was actually one of my two winners (the other being Chingiz from Azerbaijan, who still got in the top 10 so I'm not too mad xD) so I'm glad that he got to be 3rd.

But I have to say that the rest of the results were a mess, both regarding the jury vote and the public vote. I can't believe that so few people voted for Spain and Malta. And San Marino placing higher than them and Greece (who has an amazing voice) is just a joke. Also I didn't like the order in which they gave the public's votes, it was plain cruel towards jury favourites and didn't highlight the fact that some songs were public favourites despite being robbed by the judges (Norway received the most points from the public, but it was something that I had to read later on the internet since it wasn't given any importance during the show).

wildandfree

yeah i feel like spain were robbed, miki deserved to do much better :mad: la venda la cayooooooooo :lol::lol:

So after the results were corrected Slovenia is now at 15th place instead of 13th… well whatever. It’s the best entry anyway

Also I’ve been listening to Soldi so much that I almost believe that I could sing it lol

CelesteAdAstra

If you have post-ESC depression and you know it clap your hands 🙌😂

wildandfree
35 minutes ago, CelesteAdAstra said:

If you have post-ESC depression and you know it clap your hands 🙌😂

clap clap

.diva plavalaguna.

Please tell me I'm not the only who noticed during the second semifinal the weird joke the host made when he was interviewing Mahmood? When he showed the picture of him on the beach? Please? ;^ ;

My top top pick became Norway and I was so sad to see they won popular vote but got poor votes from jury. I love listening to that song really loud. It's so FUN. I also enjoyed Italy, Albania, Sweden, Slovenia, Poland, Iceland, and Croatia. I'm surprised I had so many favorites this year as I usually don't like anything until well after the event and many listens of a select few songs.

Also I can't believe nobody mentioned the Madonna performance...was it that bad? hahaha 

23 hours ago, .diva plavalaguna. said:

Please tell me I'm not the only who noticed during the second semifinal the weird joke the host made when he was interviewing Mahmood? When he showed the picture of him on the beach? Please? ;^ ;

I actually haven't watched that part XD 

23 hours ago, .diva plavalaguna. said:

Also I can't believe nobody mentioned the Madonna performance...was it that bad? hahaha 

I honestly didn't pay much attention to it. I can't really remember. 

.diva plavalaguna.
13 hours ago, Salmiakki said:

I actually haven't watched that part XD 

I honestly didn't pay much attention to it. I can't really remember. 

Lol XD it was easy to miss tbh

I guess I paid attention because I've never actually seen Madonna perform and wanted to know what she was like. Plus they brought in Quavo, who I also never really paid attention to before. It was...interesting. Not something I'd bop to, but interesting. lol

Archived