Preferred reaction from someone who knows you're ace or trans/gay(romanticism or sexuality))?

R_1

Census to reaction to acknowledgement of your sexuality or gender?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What would be the best reaction do you prefer to hear from them?

• Oh ok. (You're just another person to them, no different than heterosexuals or in some places hetero-orientated(they're not all in arm against heteroromantic aces at all, you're just normal to them) in treatments.
    • That's so great! My ace/trans/gay pal!
    • Only acknowledgement of it is enough. Their treatment is irrelevant unless it's pretty bad that you might need to interfere.
    • Other(If the above option is not enough)

This poll is closed to new votes

Basically as title said. I'd like to know what is your ideal reaction from them.

Galactic Turtle

"Oh ok." -> because I don't think it should be a big deal.

Often when people realize I'm left handed they get thrown for a spin and I'm like "lol why?" 

I chose the first one as well; to me it would help to confirm that they're open-minded. They probably are if they choose to invest any time in me to begin with.

54 minutes ago, Galactic Turtle said:

Often when people realize I'm left handed they get thrown for a spin and I'm like "lol why?" 

I've never had that kind of reaction before. Most people don't say anything about it. Those who have reacted seemed intrigued.

Anthracite_Impreza

I want them to actually take it on board. Saying you're fine with transness etc. but still using the wrong pronouns shows you haven't actually accepted or acknowledged it.

Dreamsexual

Skycaptain

The " OK, that doesn't make any difference to our friendship" response. I'll understand if people ask "what is that?, what are you're preferred pronouns?" and similar, sensible questions. 

"Oh, okay" is definitely my preferred reaction. It's also, happily, the only one I've ever had about being ace (people seem slightly more inclined to ask questions and be generally befuddled about my being aromantic, for some reason). I wouldn't mind the "that's so great" reaction from close friends or family, but I'd find it awkward from anyone I know less well than that.

If it's about gender then I'd like them to additionally refer to me how I'd prefer to be referred to, but to me, that's basically the "oh, okay" response. That's not a thing I've really told anyone about yet in more than an extremely tentative manner, so my answer on that part could end up changing.

"All right.  So what do you want to get for dinner?"

• 3 weeks later...

An "ok" is fine, but I'd prefer a "that's great" because I'm not comfortable talking about my sexuality with most people, it's just more reassuring for me.

Hm. I thought I knew, but I really don't.... I guess I'd like any response that wasn't being upset, or overly concerned for me (like I've experienced from fellow Christians). Like, I'll never tell my mom about me being bi, because her reaction would def be a bad one.

• 4 months later...

i appreciate when people put in the effort to learn about my identities by asking questions (politely, and as long as they really don't know the definitions of what i identify as). like if i tell someone my sexuality and they ask what it is and i take it as rude or i ask them if they actually don't know what it is and they show genuine interest in learning the proper definitions and how i experience it.

i appreciate when people try to fix their ignorance

I prefer "Oh, really?" More than "Oh, okay" because I like when people are interested and we can discuss stuff about it. But I chose the top most because not everyone likes these discussions as much as me, and I prefer to just have it be a passing comment rather than a point of contention. 

• 2 weeks later...
Twisted Tempest

I just wanna be seen as another person, just as with my disabilities. I don't want things like orientation and stuff like that to be what people define me by. 

Acknowledgement would be enough, I think. There is a person who knows I'm queer and yet treats me as if I was a heterosexual. To be quite frank, it totally pisses me off.

• 6 months later...

@R_1

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived