Are some sexualities fake??

LGBTAtreyu

LGBTAtreyu

I heard a lot of genders are made by trolls to mock non-binary people. Like: clovergender or targender or vacegender. Does the same go for sexualities? Like Schrodisexual and stuff like that? 

letusdeleteouraccounts

It usually comes from extreme and uneccessary microlabeling. But then you also have sexualities people use to describe people sexually attracted to certain inanimate objects when sexualities are only supposed to describe the genders you’re sexually attracted to. People take it all too far and miss the point of orientations leading to the extreme confusion of people outside LGBTQ+ and then making fun of us all

Anthracite_Impreza
17 minutes ago, Star Lion said:

But then you also have sexualities people use to describe people sexually attracted to certain inanimate objects when sexualities are only supposed to describe the genders you’re sexually attracted to.

Erm, why do humans think they hold the sole rights here?

letusdeleteouraccounts
2 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Erm, why do humans think they hold the sole rights here?

?? I am confusion

Anthracite_Impreza
11 minutes ago, Star Lion said:

?? I am confusion

Why are sexualities only "allowed" to be for human genders?

17 minutes ago, Star Lion said:

?? I am confusion

You are talking to someone who is into inaminate objects, so you kind of invalidated their orientation. So, they are asking you why their orientation doesnt count to you just because its towards a non-human. 

letusdeleteouraccounts
8 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Why are sexualities only "allowed" to be for human genders?

1 minute ago, Serran said:

You are talking to someone who is into inaminate objects, so you kind of invalidated their orientation. So, they are asking you why their orientation doesnt count to you just because its towards a non-human. 

I don’t mean to invalidate the attractions to objects but the literal definition of sexual orientation is in relation to genders which is what I’m going off of. You can have a label to describe your attraction to the inanimate objects but they shouldn’t be described as sexualities. They’re just simply labels for another experience

Anthracite_Impreza
1 minute ago, Star Lion said:

the literal definition of sexual orientation is in relation to genders which is what I’m going off of. You can have a label to describe your attraction to the inanimate objects but they shouldn’t be described as sexualities.

Only because that's "the norm". Being gay was once considered a medical problem rather than a sexuality. If you're sexually (or in my case romantically/aesthetically etc.) into non-humans, there's no objective reason why that's not as much an orientation as human ones.

LGBTAtreyu

the literal definition of sexual orientation is in relation to genders which is what I’m going off of. You can have a label to describe your attraction to the inanimate objects but they shouldn’t be described as sexualities.

I'm finding this interesting

LGBTAtreyu

Quote: 

Only because that's "the norm". Being gay was once considered a medical problem rather than a sexuality. If you're sexually (or in my case romantically/aesthetically etc.) into non-humans, there's no objective reason why that's not as much an orientation as human ones.

This as well
letusdeleteouraccounts
19 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Because objects don’t have genders nor the ability to connect physically and emotionally with us like humans have. Plus those labels aren’t specific like sexualities are. Ecosexual for example is the equivalent of a person saying “I’m attracted to mammals.” It gets messy when you think about the details of it all

LGBTAtreyu
1 minute ago, Star Lion said:

Ecosexual for example is the equivalent of a person saying “I’m attracted to mammals.” It gets messy when you think about the details of it all

I understand your view, it's only when you say unnecessary things like that then it can come of kind of pretentious.

letusdeleteouraccounts
1 minute ago, LGBTAtreyu said:

I understand your view, it's only when you say unnecessary things like that then it can come of kind of pretentious.

How is it pretentious or unnecessary? I used that example to relate my argument

Anthracite_Impreza
Just now, Star Lion said:

Because objects don’t have genders nor the ability connect physically and emotionally with us like humans have. Plus those labels aren’t specific like sexualities are. Ecosexual for example is the equivalent of a person saying “I’m attracted to mammals.” It gets messy when you think about the details of it all

I mean, obviously I disagree with you there. Literally two days ago me and Clutch drove out somewhere quiet to "sort stuff out", and I ended up crying. I may not talk about this stuff publicly often but that's cos we have private lives; it still happens. And yeah, we have specifics. I am objectum- (the overarching label) and also mecha- (the specific label). I call human-orientation "anthro-", which is most people's overarching label.

I don't get why it has to be related to genders at all.

LGBTAtreyu
Just now, Star Lion said:

How is it pretentious or unnecessary? I used that example to relate my argument

I know, it's just not nice when you say ''details'', because people who identify like that might not see it like that at all.

letusdeleteouraccounts
Just now, LGBTAtreyu said:

I know, it's just not nice when you say ''details'', because people who identify like that might not see it like that at all.

I’m going to be honest, this sounds very snowflakey. 

3 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I mean, obviously I disagree with you there. Literally two days ago me and Clutch drove out somewhere quiet to "sort stuff out", and I ended up crying. I may not talk about this stuff publicly often but that's cos we have private lives; it still happens. And yeah, we have specifics. I am objectum- (the overarching label) and also mecha- (the specific label). I call human-orientation "anthro-", which is most people's overarching label.

I don't get why it has to be related to genders at all.

This makes no sense to me. I’m not understanding because any conversation you have with an object is one sided unless you’re mentally giving the object dialogue which still doesn’t back up the argument

LGBTAtreyu
2 minutes ago, Star Lion said:

I’m going to be honest, this sounds very snowflakey. 

This makes no sense to me. I’m not understanding because any conversation you have with an object is one sided unless you’re mentally giving the object dialogue which still doesn’t back up the argument

You may not understand it, to be honest I can't understand it either, but people who identify as this, see things over the ''regular'' binary, and have these feelings. Which is ok because everyone is different, I also feel confused about my sexual/romantic/flexible identity but I still try to see what more identities exist to see if it matches my true self.

Anthracite_Impreza
10 minutes ago, Star Lion said:

That's getting into animism territory, which isn't the topic of this thread. You can watch this trailer though if you want (I think you have to pay for the full film):

Spoiler

Just know the first time I watched that, and the guy kissed his car, I wept. Proper snotty weeping. Because then I knew.

LGBTAtreyu
5 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Reveal hidden contents

Just know the first time I watched that, and the guy kissed his car, I wept. Proper snotty weeping. Because then I knew.

I'm happy you found your true orientation :) 

Anthracite_Impreza
2 minutes ago, LGBTAtreyu said:

I'm happy you found your true orientation :) 

Took over 20 years. That's why I try to be "out and proud" online so less people have to go through it feeling alone (and hopefully educate everyone else).

I think that "fake" is the wrong term here. "Inappropriate" perhaps, maybe "misapplied", something along those lines.

20 minutes ago, Homer said:

I think that "fake" is the wrong term here. "Inappropriate" perhaps, maybe "misapplied", something along those lines.

Guessing the OP was more talking about fake labels made as jokes (often offensive ones). Like wafflegender as a response to non-binary labels people disagree with.

Or like I made a fake label for my profile 

Grumpy Alien

The experiences are real but the labels are not.

Grumpy Alien
3 minutes ago, Serran said:

Guessing the OP was more talking about fake labels made as jokes (often offensive ones). Like wafflegender as a response to non-binary labels people disagree with.

Or like I made a fake label for my profile 

Oh in that case... no those are very real. 😐

Not sure if they're "trolling"-fake, or just "very confused, naive, and hanging out with the wrong crowd"-fake. Hanlon's Razor applies.

But yeah, I'd definitely say that not every chosen orientation label is a valid thing that exists in reality. AVEN's and tumblr's insistence that we're supposed to validate every claim just because someone makes it, notwithstanding.

What is the difference between animism and objectum?

I noted in the film clip that most of the people referred to their object of affection as "him" or "her".

Lucinda

Anthracite_Impreza
35 minutes ago, Lucinda said:

I noted in the film clip that most of the people referred to their object of affection as "him" or "her".

Lucinda

Animism is the general belief in all things having spirits/souls/whatever; anyone can believe in that (I have done, namelessly, since I can remember). Objectum- is being attracted to objects in one way or another.

Yeah, I usually refer to machines as "they" now, but it always used to be "he" (my cars still are).

1 hour ago, Lucinda said:

Lucinda

Anthracite said it pretty well already - it's basically the difference between acknowledging that other people exist (as opposed to, idk, extreme solipsism), and being able to be attracted to them.

As far as genders go, there's really no consensus among us. Some of us gender objects, some of us don't. I do but I try to be honest with myself about what "vibe" I get from an object. Surprisingly enough, I have gotten different impressions from otherwise identical objects before. YMMV.

w/r/t the broader discussion, yes, shit's made up all the time. Sometimes it's trolls, sometimes it's teenagers trying to make sense of their (mutable) experience of themselves by coming up with faux-medicalized words to describe it because they don't have any other way to lend the experience social currency. Like, I doubt that anyone's going to be on their deathbed and confess to their dearest loved ones that they were "voidgender" all along. But if it helps them get through their sophomore year of high school, power to them.

I guess this link might be helpful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraphilia

It explains the history of what psychiatrists have generally called "paraphilias" (although, some find the term offensive and have tried lobbying for a different term). It's not new; psychologists and psychologists have known about it for centuries. There have always been people who've experienced attraction to objects, fantasies, etc.

It's just that, likely due to the internet (i.e. people around the world, from different cultures and experiences exchanging information), sexual minority groups, just like asexuality, are becoming a bit more mainstream, raising more public awareness.

4 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

I guess this link might be helpful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraphilia

It explains the history of what psychiatrists have generally called "paraphilias" (although, some find the term offensive and have tried lobbying for a different term). It's not new; psychologists and psychologists have known about it for centuries. There have always been people who've experienced attraction to objects, fantasies, etc.

OS isn't a paraphilia. Here's the paper on it from the Electronic Journal of Human Sexuality: http://www.ejhs.org/volume13/ObjSexuals.htm

Archived