Proof of 'aphobia' in my new video

yazybee

Hi everyone!

It's Yasmin Benoit again, I just thought you might be interested in my YouTube video, if you haven't already seen it. It's been making rounds on Tumblr and Instagram already.

It's called 'Reading My Asexual Hate Comments,' as I wanted to shine some light on the issue of aphobia and show why it is so important to educate people about asexuality. My work has allowed me to see that there's a lot more progress to be made.

I do have to warn you that the video contains offensive ideas and language, so if you're sensitive to aphobic comments, then you might not want to watch it. But there's a positive conclusion at the end. :)

Let me know what you think. And if you ever encounter someone who insists that aphobia doesn't exist, show it to them!

Yup, your link leads to some sims toddler hair tutorial. Here's the actual link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKKXVY8Kju8

I watched it earlier. I especially loved that little 'Bye bitch' comment. Like, 'sure go ahead, we're not going to miss you.'

TheCatBehind

Oh yeah! I saw you on tumblr a couple of times!

And while hearing a barrage of lines being awful towards asexuals is kinda disheartening, I also don't particularly care? If someone's a bigot they're gonna be a bigot, if someone wants to hate they'll hate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I liked the video though! Keep on being awesome!

I watched it yesterday and loved it~

but seriously, where do people see a connection between veganism and asexuality, that confused me...

everywhere and nowhere
1 hour ago, Phie said:

but seriously, where do people see a connection between veganism and asexuality, that confused me...

No meat = no power = no libido? Not that I agree; there are "even" vegetarian and vegan sportspeople. Well-balanced vegetarian diets are at the very least considered harmless - and actually there's lot of proof that eating meat is not particularly healthy.

And certainly eating meat is very unhealthy for one's conscience...

On a side note, I have a lot of objections to the word "aphobia". I know it's built as a pretty much "mechanical" counterpart to homo-phobia, trans-phobia, bi-phobia... But in case of "asexual" the prefix is so tiny that, as a result, it makes "aphobia" sound like "lack of fear", "not having any phobias"...

There are at least two alternatives to this term:

a) acephobia - advantage: very simple, disadvantages: too informal (uses the colloqiual "ace"), imperfectly built because it mixes parts coming from different languages. Greek + Greek, Latin + Latin, Latin + Greek are considered better than, like here, English + Greek.

b) asexophobia - advantage: may work to bring attention to the fact that anti-asexual and anti-celibacy prejudice may be similar, that perhaps there is rarely any prejudice specifically and exclusively against asexuals, but usually rather against the fact that some people dare not have sex and question assumptions about everyone's sexuality... Disadvantage: doesn't follow the "homophobia", "transphobia" etc. model, which makes it stand out unnecessarily - but still, I have already pointed out that a semantic problem can arise if the term for "anti-asexuality hostility" is built exactly according to this model.

Archived