Did you think you might be Bisexual?

Iam9man

Did you think you might be Bisexual?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Did you think you might be Bisexual before identifying as Asexual?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other - Please add comment

This poll is closed to new votes

I’m curious how many aces thought they might be bisexual as they felt the same about men & women (i.e. not interested) before they worked out they were asexual.

I hadn’t heard of polysexuals/pansexuals when I went through this loop in my teens, so please read bisexual as “two or more genders”.

NickyTannock

I did, but not for very long.

I seriously asked myself the question 2-3 times in my teens as I felt fairly neutral/indifferent. I reached a “no” each time as I had no interest in having sex with a guy, whilst I was open to the idea with a girl as I knew I was romantically attracted to girls. There was enough doubt to ask the question again though, as I knew I didn’t feel the same as my heterosexual friends.

natural blue
12 minutes ago, MichaelTannock said:

I did, but not for very long.

same here.

Knight of Cydonia

Yes, exactly as you said. Didn't feel any actual attraction, I just "felt the same" so I assumed that carried over to being bi.

Custard Cream

Yep, absolutely.  I also assumed I was bi (hadn't heard of Pan at the time either).  

Member131995

I did, actually I openly identified as bi but only for a few semesters because I quickly understood it to mean I was into having same sex and hetero sex. So then I was lesbian but it still didn't work and that's when I started seriously searching for answers and found AVEN😄

Nope, I've only ever been attracted to girls.

No, because I realised I'm bi pretty much at the same time that I realised I'm ace.

Skeletonducky

"Hey, I think I'm bi"

"Why, do you like girls and boys?"

"No. I dislike them equally"

Anthracite_Impreza

Nope, I knew I had no interest whatsoever in humans so "invented" asexual before I realised it already existed.

Definitely. For at least a couple years. I had a friend who was bisexual and was coming out with her girlfriend, and I was extremely jealous and couldn't understand why. It got me to thinking that I felt the same about both women and men, so I was probably bi. It was a big thing for me at the time. Then the sex repulsion really started to kick in, and a few years later, I discovered I had been totally, totally wrong. 😅 I just liked her platonically. A lot.

Nope 

Why is “this poll closed to new votes”? I didn’t add an end date and it only started yesterday 🤨

16 minutes ago, Iam9man said:

Why is “this poll closed to new votes”? I didn’t add an end date and it only started yesterday 🤨

Not sure why that happened but I have reopened it.

46 minutes ago, iff said:

Not sure why that happened but I have reopened it.

Thank you!

I went the other way round - thought I was ace for 5 years before realising I'm actually bi. 

TheCatBehind

I guess I kinda did? At the time I needed a label and since I didn't particularly care about the gender of the person I might end up with, I just took the bisexual label and went with it.

Didn't feel quite right, but here we are

8 hours ago, TheCatBehind said:

Didn't feel quite right, but here we are

Definitely relate to this!

I've thought I was bisexual, also thought I was biromantic asexual, actually I've identified with a ton of different kinds of labels in the past

I did for sure did, I identified as bisexual for 14 years before finally doing more research into my the ace spectrum.

Oddly, enough an article sent to me as a joke sent me down a rabbit hole. One of my friends always joked around with me because I said I was aroused by stimulating conversation with people I was emotionally intimate with. She sent me an article as a joke about sapiosexual but something about demisexual came up in the article. I looked it up and it clicked. 

Later when I came out to my sister she exclaimed "Oh well yeah! You have always been like that, I think you were the only senior in your high school graduating classes that didn't want to be sexually active." Sometimes other people see it when you don't. 

I don't understand why anyone would think they were attracted asexually to males and females when in fact they didn't want sex with anyone.   ???   No, I never did.  

Just now, Sally said:

I don't understand why anyone would think they were attracted asexually to males and females when in fact they didn't want sex with anyone.   ???   No, I never did.  

Fair comment, and I think the answer in my case is “it’s complicated”!

I am indifferent to sex, but romantically and aesthetically attracted to women only. I am repulsed at the thought of personally having sex with men. However, when in my teens I took half a step back from actually thinking about sexual acts, I noted I felt indifferent to men and women, so “the same”. In those moments I could consider I was bisexual, but the moment I then thought about actually having sex I’d snap out of it pretty quickly.

I think this is where the line between sexual and romantic attraction gets a bit blurred. 

I don't think what gender(s) you're attracted to has a bearing on sexual desire?

13 minutes ago, LucindaC said:

I think this is where the line between sexual and romantic attraction gets a bit blurred. 

I don't think what gender(s) you're attracted to has a bearing on sexual desire?

No idea, I don’t experience sexual attraction 😊

Fighting_For_Us
On 4/28/2019 at 12:44 PM, Skeletonducky said:

"Hey, I think I'm bi"

"Why, do you like girls and boys?"

"No. I dislike them equally"

^^^ This! This was me for about two years

firewallflower
20 hours ago, Sally said:

I don't understand why anyone would think they were attracted asexually to males and females when in fact they didn't want sex with anyone.   ???

While I never particularly thought I was bisexual myself (beyond general questioning/uncertainty, as in "I could be straight, gay, bi, tofu, I have no idea"), it does actually make a decent amount of sense to me that someone asexual might assume themselves bi/pan, for pretty much the same reasons that others have mentioned here. There's a pretty strong socially ingrained presumption that everyone will experience [sexual] attraction to one sex/gender or another—or to more than one, as in bisexuality. Particularly as many people still have never heard of asexuality as an identity/orientation, there can be an impression that one is either heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual, those being the only conceivable orientations in some cases. (I.e.—and yes I know this is an oversimplification and bi people can still have preferences but I'm just talking about popular [mis]conceptions here—Preference for opposite sex = heterosexual; preference for same sex = homosexual; no preference for one over the other = bisexual.)

Especially given that to some asexuals, sexual attraction/desire may be so foreign that it may not quite even compute exactly what it is that they're "missing"—I can see how having a lack of preference (even if it's a matter of "I don't want sex with anyone regardless of gender," which is of course in stark contrast to "I want sex with people regardless of their gender") could lead someone to assume they must be bi. Something along the logic of: "Well, I know I'm not straight, and I know I'm not gay, so what does that leave? Must be bisexual, I guess." That's what I suspect it would have been in my case, at least, had I identified as bisexual.

But yeah, it does definitely seem counter-intuitive at first.

2 hours ago, firewallflower said:

Something along the logic of: "Well, I know I'm not straight, and I know I'm not gay, so what does that leave? Must be bisexual, I guess."

Yep, this basically.

Archived