2019 AVEN Fundraiser

Snao Cone

Autumn Season

2.9 % + 30 Cents for small amounts would be a huge fee, but there are special fees for micropayments on Paypal. (Not sure whether there are micropayment fees on Patreon.) It's 5 % + 5 Cents. That's a good thing. Then of 1 Dollar, 90 Cents will arrive. (For payments outside of the US it's a bit more expensive.)

My point is, that small donations also make sense.

(And psssst, your GoFundMe link on the main page also still links to the 2017 fundraiser.)

WünderBâhr

I remember a time when there were not many community forums, and the majority of the focus was on Vis-ed. It grew into what we have now bc members said they wanted/needed it. None of the additions (even chat) have been a one-off call by any of the teams "just because" -- with exception to the April Fools prank forum. That was having fun with members to give them something silly and outrageous to peek into.

I've seen a number of people say they don't understand why chat is a thing, or that they don't care about it. Hey, if you get what you need out of forum posts, that's great. Not everyone has that same experience, though. I, for one, was a chat baby from way back (2005, yo).

Historically, chat has made a major impact in how members connect to one another upon finding AVEN. I also saw a lot of members come for the chat, but stay for the forums. Some people prefer to chat in real-time, which was not always readily a thing in the open forums. Even then, you'd have to find threads you and x+ ppl were invested enough to participate in, and sometimes replies took hours.

When the major chat changeover happened, it was by force. Support for old avenchat went away, and finding a new chat was a task and a half. I asked about it multiple times, as well, bc chat was where I spent most of my AVEN time, for years. Ppl were accustomed to a certain layout, formatting, features, and it had to be easy to mod, to be useful. But also, what ppl had previously asked for (over the years) was also being considered - - such as more than one room to chat in, so ppl didn't have to be stuck with only having serious conversation, or only joking around, or only Vis-ed talk (you get where this is going). Otherwise, it would have been basic chat with zero features (like shoutbox, but with a user list).

Customizing and integrating a third-party program into what is being supported can't be any easy task, either. With this kind of software, you're not paying a one-time fee for a ready-made, fully supported feature, but the ability to have a module of a feature that you can add-on. It also has to work well enough with the supported software. And the server has to be able to manage that workload, along with everything else it does for the site, which takes us full circle to what this fundraiser is for.

I do know that when Arrowchat became a thing, many of the regs dropped back into the forums or off of AVEN, bc they wanted something different. I stopped using the chat, but I am very particular about what I like. I'm still around, though, bc I support AVEN, and I know AVEN =/= chat just as chat =/= AVEN. Having them both means that you all get to see my post, regardless of where you usually hang out bc it includes both camps in the conversation.

I'm sure Tech will be able to fill in gaps, when they are able to, of what hasn't been covered about monies, chat, etc. Trust me, (or don't -- your prerogative) no one is being ignored. You're just not going to get detailed answers from people who can't go into what those details are. I mean, unless guessing is satisfactory. My best guess: there's a lot more to it than what's been mentioned. In my experience, there usually is. 

14 hours ago, Chihiro said:

I again kind of feel ignored, just like the last time. If you had followed the link I posted in one of my last post, it would have taken directly to the promise that was made. Why waste time on hard-to-please donors right? Yup, I know the fund raising logic (Doesn't matter that I have donated both times in the past). Nevertheless, here is the link again and I am quoting as well, in case anyone misses it-

"I can say this for certain: when we reach our funding goal, I'll purchase the license and upgrade chat. It'll be a last-ditch effort on an integrated, official AVEN chat client, and I hope it succeeds in solving everyone's issues. If people still have huge issues by AAW next year, we'll see what replacements may exist and, if none do, we'll have to retire our official chat." -Coleslaw

Not only the funding goal was reached, but it exceeded..... still couldn't afford that $125 for chat. Very misleading! :huh:

Sorry for any confusion. Yes I saw that post. But I'm making the point that the previous fundraiser was not advertised as going towards chat, as some of the earlier posts were implying. The fundraiser was for the server.

I did also mention that chat came up later in the discussion, including that post. I'm not Coles so I can't speak for them. I'm certain they wrote what they wrote with the best of intentions and with no intent to deceive anyone. Things don't always work out as planned for whatever reason.

"Not only the funding goal was reached, but it exceeded..... still couldn't afford that $125 for chat. Very misleading! "

Yes that is misleading, but for a different reason: whatever the reason we don't have a new chat, it has nothing to do with not affording $125. Obviously we'd spend $125 without hesitation to get a better chat. The issues are technical: compatibility with our software, and the technical difficulty (and time required) in doing the installation.

I'm sorry we don't have a better chat; I miss it too. I do think it should be a priority improving our chat experience, once we've secured the stability of our server. I'm optimistic we're on course for that, now the tech admins have found suitable candidates and have a definite plan.

32 minutes ago, Ammy said:

(And psssst, your GoFundMe link on the main page also still links to the 2017 fundraiser.)

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll fix it later unless @michaeld can fix it first. 

7 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:
40 minutes ago, Ammy said:

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll fix it later unless @michaeld can fix it first

...and he does do right away, thanks Mic! 

Looking at it now and it doesn't look that impossible anymore 😃 

And @WünderBâhr i do get now that the chat is really important to people. And it turns out that the things that i personally really dislike about chats are the things that people love. 

4 hours ago, Ammy said:

Keep in mind that Patreon takes 5% of all the earnings. You'd be better off just having PayPal and setting up a recurrent monthly donation towards AVEN's PayPal, which only takes 2.9% + 30¢ per donation.

That's a good point - I hadn't thought of that.

Does it make any practical difference where the money is going? 2017? 2019? :huh:

42 minutes ago, Homer said:

Does it make any practical difference where the money is going? 2017? 2019? :huh:

I guess It could matter statistically. Like if people keep donating to 2017 so the current one would not reach it goal. But that is just a very uneducated guess. 

50 minutes ago, Homer said:

No reason not to change the links to a newer fundraiser, and people are much less likely to donate if they think the goal has already been met months ago.

$5000 is needed, a new fundraiser is created so everyone can keep track of that $5000, instead of it getting lost wherever else and nobody having a clue of where it's coming along.

18 hours ago, Kimmie. said:

Looking at it now and it doesn't look that impossible anymore 😃 

A fifth of the way there :D:cake: 

1 hour ago, Heart said:

A fifth of the way there :D:cake: 

Apparently this fundraiser is trending too😃

1 hour ago, Kimmie. said:

Apparently this fundraiser is trending too😃

13 people donating in 4 days isn't bad at all! And already over a grand. I have high hopes :D

Just wanted to make a post so this comes up on Announcements😋

It never hurts to bump the thread up the page ;) 

Snao Cone

A third of the way there!

6 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

A third of the way there!

In only a week! 

Ha, such a cute picture. I just can't refuse, but don't mind if I use PayPal instead.

Wow it goes way faster then i thought it would do!

Once again i think i have to put it up in a nnouncements because based on donations it seems that this thread being visible matter.

*cheers it on :D 

So now the fundraiser is trending again. 

We have such an awesome, strong community :wub:

In fact, going to the page and reading the comments that people are leaving with their donations is making me feel so warm inside.... I'm getting a little teary-eyed :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

We're past $2000! When we get to $2500 I will make a video. :D

• 2 weeks later...

It has been calm for awhile now and that worries me.

• 2 weeks later...

We're $358 away from me making a video! That may or may not star my dog. She doesn't really like cameras, so no guarantees.

• 4 weeks later...

Is the campaign still running? I get an error message from GoFundMe.

Archived