Home book collection

everywhere and nowhere

How many books do you have  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like reading?

• Not very much
    • Yes
    • I absolutely LOVE reading, I wouldn't survive one day without it!
  2. 2. How many books, approximately, do you have at home?

• Less than 50
    • 50-100
    • 100-300
    • 300-600
    • 600-1000
    • More than 1000

This poll is closed to new votes

everywhere and nowhere
2 minutes ago, daveb said:

I love pictures of libraries.

So may I show you some fantasy libraries from adventure games? ;)

"Order of the Thorne: the King's Challenge" (2016, but retro, as can be seen. :) I absolutely prefer retro games with 2D hand-painted graphics.)

A link instead of a screenshot because the image is too large. I, personally, prefer playing games in a smaller size and if the graphics are entirely drawn in "double pixels" (actually, a 2x2 square instead of every pixel), I always shrink them to "single size", as below (played in 640x400, saved as 320x200).

"King's Quest 3" (independent 2011 remake, original game - 1986):

917627-king-s-quest-iii-redux-to-heir-is

"Mage's Initiation":

960258-mage-s-initiation-reign-of-the-el

Calligraphette_Coe
4 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

It depends on what kind of notebooks. I have thrown school notebooks away, but I keep all my diaries I have been writing since the age of 9.

I often regret not having kept diaries and/or a personal journal. Part of the reason I didn't was because of being a different kind of queer and I didn't want to be outed, the other reason was that before my strokes, I had such a vivid autobiographical memory. That vividness could be a double-edged sword, though.

My mother kept some of our school notebooks and papers, and when she died in 1998, we got a treasure trove of these, all of which I still have. 

Being an early adopter of computer word processing, I have Engineering journals that I was required to keep by customers and later, employers, and I have those back into the 80s. Trouble is, a lot of that stuff might still be covered by NDAs ( non-disclosure agreements.)

But there is a great pleasure in having a paper trail of your jouney through life!

3 hours ago, daveb said:

Notebooks, sketchbooks, and blank books; I tend to collect those, too.

Having several bookcases full of books makes me feel more at home. When I moved I felt I was home once I finally got bookcases set up and was able to unpack my books. When I go to other peoples' houses I look at their bookcases. I love pictures of libraries. I love hanging out in bookstores (especially quirky independent ones with cats). I find comfort in a room full of bookcases jammed with books.

One word: Moleskine.  :)

Half the time, I don't know why I buy blank journals. But I just love them! Plain, sketch, dotted, ruled, grid-- I have them all in abundant supply.  I guess I just think that language and writing is such a gift that  one needs to constantly partake of to bask in the glory of that which makes us uniquely human.

I'm never without a notebook-- I look at them as being like idea catchers. Because great ideas are sometimes soooo slippery-- they pop in and out of existence like quantum phenomena. With notebooks being the interference mechanism that let's us know the happened. (Oh, and I wish it wouldn't be eyebrow-raising for me to be carrying a decent sized handbag so I could have bigger ones handy!)

Or something like that.....

When I was growing up and in my teens I read lots of fiction. In my adult life, my desire for fictional books has all but gone and I have really struggled to find any fictional works that I can enjoy; it has been a good few years since I last read a novel. I have a large bookcase full of books, but hardly any of them are fiction. I prefer factual stuff. The kind of thing I enjoy most at the moment is reading about history, such as the life and trials and tribulations of monarchs or other important historical figures.

everywhere and nowhere

@Ortac - I too prefer non-fiction. I read some novels too (and also non-prosaic fictional literature, epic poetry doesn't, for example, provoke any yawning in me, I Just Love Literature), but mostly non-fictional works... reportage, for example, but also, as can be seen from my posts in the "What are you reading" topic, a lot of books on political issues (for example, I've just started reading "Future is History. How Totalitarianism Reclaimed Russia" by Masha Gessen; previously I had also read her critical biography of Putler - "Putin - the Man Without a Face").

everywhere and nowhere

Oh - by the way, another library screenshot. Not anymore an adventure game, this one is rather a puzzle game - "Beauty and the Beast" from 1992, of course related to the cartoon:

590651-disney-s-beauty-and-the-beast-dos

Quite a large collection, isn't it? ;)

BrumesEtPluies
5 hours ago, Calligraphette_Coe said:

One word: Moleskine.  :)

Half the time, I don't know why I buy blank journals. But I just love them! Plain, sketch, dotted, ruled, grid-- I have them all in abundant supply.  I guess I just think that language and writing is such a gift that  one needs to constantly partake of to bask in the glory of that which makes us uniquely human.

Ohh I love those. They tend to have really pretty covers too.

I love blank notebooks and I'm always eager to write something and yet at the same time I feel like I'm ruining them if I do... I guess I can only make sure that whatever goes in there, is worth it :) I like to write down good excerpts from books I read. I have 3 or 4 notebooks full of those.

I prefer non fiction as well. Right now I'm reading the classics, I like to read about politics and science too.

Calligraphette_Coe
2 hours ago, BrumesEtPluies said:

Ohh I love those. They tend to have really pretty covers too.

I love blank notebooks and I'm always eager to write something and yet at the same time I feel like I'm ruining them if I do... I guess I can only make sure that whatever goes in there, is worth it :) I like to write down good excerpts from books I read. I have 3 or 4 notebooks full of those.

Oh, i know! It's like growing up, your parents made you clean your plate and/or take only what you could eat because other children around the world were starving.  So it's like notebooks are these magical things and you NEVER waste magic. Too, I'm often making or taking notes that may be a little "Eyes Only' and have to be destroyed so as not to run afould of the Non-Disclosure Ogre. You would feel just AWFUL if you had to shred an entire Moleskine so.....

TADA! You buy packs of 3 x 5 blank index cards, and use an Exacto knife to make an opening from which you can extract one card at a time. Or two, so you can put the card back in the bottom of the 'deck', as if you were creating a notebook without a binding  And when you're done with the note(s), you just pop it one of the shredders that are in each department. Or, if you're thinking / denoting something that is multidimensional, like a BOM ( Bill of Material ) , you can 'layer' your index cards like they were a CAD drawing or a Photoshop creation.

And now for the Piece de Resistance, vis-a-vis the context of this thread: What if books were written in layers, that you could turn on/ off? Because really, aren't TV series a little like that? With a long backstory that is developed over the course of a series, where you don't need to have all the layers simultaneously visual, a

BrumesEtPluies
2 hours ago, Calligraphette_Coe said:

TADA! You buy packs of 3 x 5 blank index cards, and use an Exacto knife to make an opening from which you can extract one card at a time. Or two, so you can put the card back in the bottom of the 'deck', as if you were creating a notebook without a binding  And when you're done with the note(s), you just pop it one of the shredders that are in each department. Or, if you're thinking / denoting something that is multidimensional, like a BOM ( Bill of Material ) , you can 'layer' your index cards like they were a CAD drawing or a Photoshop creation.

Are you saying, get rid of the contents but keep the pretty cover? I've done that. It would be a shame it it went to waste. Or do you mean throw away the nice moleskine pages and replace them with cheap, replaceable ones you aren't afraid of dirty-ing?

Calligraphette_Coe
4 minutes ago, BrumesEtPluies said:

Are you saying, get rid of the contents but keep the pretty cover? I've done that. It would be a shame it it went to waste. Or do you mean throw away the nice moleskine pages and replace them with cheap, replaceable ones you aren't afraid of dirty-ing?

Nono, I'm saying use the el cheapo index card decks like they were scratch paper. Or paper plates (the index cards), if you will, instead of the 'good china' (the Moleskine notebooks).

I probably have around 60-70 books. I like to get books from the library since I am not made of money, and also reading library books or buying used books is better for the environment than buying new books. So only around 60-70 books at home. 

I had a book shelf down stairs in the front office in my house, then my mom moved all of my books up stairs in the movie room. I hate it. 

I did practically nothing but read all day when I was a kid, and I still read a fair amount - although much less than I used to. These days I'm lucky if I finish more than a couple of books in a week, whereas I used to often read one or more in a day. But I definitely love reading, and love books.

I haven't counted, but the total number of books in the house must be over a thousand; there are something like twelve full-size bookshelves, all full, and a few more half-shelves in the basement. Personally, I have two full-size bookcases and two half-bookcases in my room, all full (I probably need to get another one soon), and I think I have something like 300-400 in there.

The vast majority of all of our books, and especially mine, are used. Part of this is that I like older books, part of it is that it's more responsible and all, and a big part of it is that we have a good used book store and no non-student new book store.

• 4 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

1. Do you like reading?

I love it. I learned to read at the age of 5 and since then I cannot imagine my life without books.

2. How many books, approximately, do you have at home?

I checked 50-100. I have about 40 here where I live (I keep buying new ones a lot), and there's still around 50 in my parents house that I need to transfer.

I also collect notebooks.

Dreamsexual

I ballparked my collection as 100-300, because it hasn't grown in years. I am, however, a regular at the library.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was a kid and in my teens, I would read a lot from libraries or used book stores and resell/exchange them for the next books. Most of my books/readers from college are in boxes in the garage. And now I own hundreds of books... digitally. My Kindle is well used and loaded. I have... 2 physical books, a manga and a Sartre book I couldn't buy digitally. So I have no idea how many books I own.

And I don't read nearly as much anymore. Mostly at night.

Anonymous Axolotl

I've got between probably 500 and 650 or so books in my personal library. I'm currently trying to get through The Complete Fiction of HP Lovecraft but since it's 1,100+ pages, that's going to take me a while. Admittedly, the majority of my collection is manga, but I've still got a solid (but fairly small) section of novels. I probably would have more novels, but my family is big on reading books from the library if they are available there, and if not, we typically buy them then donate them.

As a side note, has anyone used Libib to catalog their personal library? I quite like it, but for some reason, I can't log into my account lately, and when I go to reset my password through email, it just emails me a dead link.😢

AwkwardAxolotl

I don't have that many books at the moment, only 2 boxes of them because I move a lot, and there's a limit to how much I can take with me, but if I ever settle down somewhere, I assume my house will look something like my parents' house: bookcases in the living room, bedrooms, dining room, everywhere a bookcase can fit.

• 10 months later...

@Nowhere Girl

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived