Life Hacks

RoseGoesToYale

RoseGoesToYale

What are your favorite life hacks? Share them here!

If you celebrate christmas and live in a small apartment, buy a rosemary tree instead of a tiny spruce. After you decorate it, your apartment will smell like rosemary and when the holidays are over, bake rosemary bread with the tree leftovers.

Reuse produce bags as trash bags for small waste baskets.

Need a quick heat pad but don't want to buy one? Fill a (clean!) long sock with non-instant rice, tie off the top, and microwave for 30 seconds. (Caution, may be hot)

If you've got some old, no longer usable, bungee cords, remove the cords and clean up the hooks (metal or plastic). You can use string or wire to tie them to racks or nails to hang things from.

This isn’t really a life hack necessarily, but I think it’s funny that shampoo or soap bottles have directions on how to use them.

funny-product-instructions-591da0e4964ce

Scottthespy

Use hot glue to make non slip feet for potholders, cutting boards, and furniture, or to add non slip bumps to socks.

Place your green onions in a cup of water on the counter instead of in the fridge and they'll continue growing.

keep the cardboard from cereal boxes for crafts with kids.

Take the tiny broken crayon bits, peel off any papers, and throw them in a silicone muffin mold. Bake them for a few minutes until they all melt together then let them harden. Rainbow crayons.

http://myfridgefood.com/

1 hour ago, Road said:

There is an arrow on your gas gauge telling you which side of the car the tank is on.

Omg seriously? This is life changing.

23 minutes ago, Evren said:

In the UK it's less of an arrow and more of how the petrol pump is displayed on the dash. Pump handle of the left? Then the filler is on the left. On the right? It's on the right!

Whilst talking about cars, keep some of those little bags of silicon that come with electronic devices or shoes in your car. They will absorb moisture and reduce the chance of your car steaming up inside. 

This one is about bodily functions and is definitely TMI, but it's the only life hack I can fully recommend. 

When you go to poop, lay a few squares of toilet paper down on the water in the "drop zone." This will prevent splashback. You'll never have to deal with nasty drops of toilet water on your bum again. (Or as Reddit calls it, Poseidon's kiss).

SorryNotSorry

My life hacks:

1. Understanding real-world chemistry (this borders on being illegal)

Yeah, our mothers taught us that chemistry is the art of blowing shit up, blah blah blah... but I'm talking about knowing what's really in gasoline, how they make plastics, where iron comes from, how soap does its job... useful shit like that. Leave the magical thinking to religious fundies and Third World shamans.

2. Being mechanically inclined (also borders on being illegal)

Unless of course you're cool with a lifetime of blowing your cash on service techs who can fix shit that breaks down on you.

3. Being aware that in-demand skills are as good as money

Handymen are rarely sex symbols. They don't have to be.

4. Outlast your bullies.

-A clean sock filled with rice, is a cheap alternative to a heating pad. Simply warm for 30 seconds, and enjoy. 

-Fishing through a small bag of chips getting residue all over your hands? 

Sit the bag flat. Slit along its length, then add two slits (on top and bottom) of that horizontal one. Fold in, and enjoy your make shift bowl. An alternative, is cutting a hand sized circle into the bag (the latter being my favorite). No more dirty hands.

-Pouring oil into your car engine or windshield washer fluid?

No need for a funnel. Don't pour with the handle side facing the orifice (even if opposite side). This creates air bubbles due to shape of bottle. Thus, more fluid on your engine and cement. 

Flip the bottle onto its flat side, and pour. Bonus points if you put sunglasses on and make it look like you do this type of stuff in your sleep.

-Wrap your windshield wipers in plastic bags before a winter storm (and set them back down to hold in place). Raising them up, risk them slamming back down, damaging them or your windshield. 

Your windshield is full of snow in the morning, but the wipers? Squeaky clean!

On 4/25/2019 at 7:37 PM, Evren said:

Hahaha. I felt like an idiot many years back, when I last rented a car and parked on the wrong side of a gas station. I see so many people with rentals doing this. 

A person told me this, and my mind was blown. I of course played it off like: "Dude, I just like walking across my car, and stretching the hose to its maximum around my rear bumper because you know...that's how I roll..."

Aaaaand quickly thanked him for not damaging my ego. 

When I go travelling for longer than just a few days, I take the most rubbish and fucked up clothes I have with me. Wear them and throw them away before returning.

Member131995
1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

Bonus points if you put sunglasses on and make it look like you do this type of stuff in your sleep.

I'm legit doing this from now on😂

3 hours ago, Homer said:

When I go travelling for longer than just a few days, I take the most rubbish and fucked up clothes I have with me. Wear them and throw them away before returning.

I might start doing this. 

Nothing is worse with traveling with dirty clothing in your suitcase as you don't have enough time to do a batch of laundry. 

I had that happen in Hong Kong. No laudrymats could accommodate my clothing in less than 12 hours. My flight was early morning. 

Not worth the risk. 

6 hours ago, Homer said:

I have done that, especially with old socks and underwear. Also leaves more room for purchases, such as books, on the return.

Alejandrogynous
6 hours ago, Homer said:

I do this but also because I travel alone with a backpack and don't want to risk anything I actually like getting stolen. And you can ditch them for souvenir space if need be. 

Archived