Akoi/lithromantic: is it okay?

catra

hello everyone! i’ve been questioning my romantic identity lately and have been thinking about the term “akoiromantic” (aka lithtomantic). while Googling it, i found one post detailing reasons why someone might identify as akoiromantic and stating that akoiromantic is something you need to work to get over.

after reading that, i’ve been wondering if it would be okay to identify as akoiromantic, or if it’s something wrong with me that i need to fix (if i am akoi).

thanks for your input. 

letusdeleteouraccounts

I don’t generally identify lithromantic as something that simply can be fixed but rather just the way your attraction works. Now the question is whether you’ll pursue a long term relationship or just decide it’s better to be alone

Do you feel distress at the thought of being akoiromantic? If yes, then alleviating that distress is something to work on. If not, then there is nothing wrong with it.

If you feel content with identifying as akoiromantic than don’t let anyone tell you to change. But if you do not like identifying as this then you can decide a way to get over it if you feel like you need to. But in my opinion, I dont feel that it is something that needs to be fixed. It’s a romantic orientation in my mind just like any other. 

No need to overcome something that isn't causing you distress. You don't need to address and overcome being lith than a gay person needs to address and overcome their homosexuality.

People whining about this online (yes, I've seen such posts) says far more about them than it says about you (again, just the same as with gay people). Ignore the whiners, their complaints are no more than white noise you don't need to deign with a second of acknowledgement. They aren't entitled to your consideration of their opinions.

If it's people's reactions causing you distress, just boot them out of your life and overcome them.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that it is always okay to not want a romantic relationship, even if you experience romantic feelings toward others. So if you're okay with being this way, it's not something that you have to work to get over.

No one chooses their desires as far as sex and romance go, but we can decide which ones to act on.

Archived