Was this sexual?

FunkyAce

Something happened that might've been sexual but I don't know if I'm over reacting/misinterpreting things. I am a graduate student and was meeting with 2 male students last year to learn about their lab's research. One of them was very fixated on me, being overly nice and was agreeing with everything I was saying. Maybe it was his body language or tone as well, but I felt like he was very attracted to me. After our discussion they walked me out but the guy who I felt was oggling at me was so fixated on me that he forgot his laptop in the lab. I pointed it out and he went to go get it. His friend laughed and said he got too excited. I've been in the group now for almost 2 semesters and my fear came true. The one guy tried to date me and wouldn't leave me alone, so I reported him. It's great that I don't have to deal with him anymore but the guy who joked that he got excited is who I will continue working under for the next 2 years. Do you think he meant "excited" in a sexual way? I'd like to know if the comment was inappropriate. 

(I'm aro ace by the way.)

Without knowing him I can't really get a general sense of his character, but going by the "excited" comment only it sounds like it wasn't overly inappropriate. Perhaps not professional, but it sounds like he was just joking that his buddy found you attractive. Slightly more harmless than using "excited" to suggest arousal. Again, I wasn't there, you would know better.  

However, now that you are working under him, do shut down any further behavior that makes you uncomfortable. If he's in a position of power he should not be allowed to abuse it, including making unprofessional comments. The next time something like that happens, tell him it makes you uncomfortable, and if he persists, report him. 

Archived