Questions about asexuality

Hi, for personal reasons I have become highly interested in asexuality. Over the next few weeks I plan to ask a series of questions regarding asexuality and I hope that maybe some people will help me understand asexuality better. I’ve drafted some questions up to kick off with so here goes:

1) Are you male or female?

2) When did you begin to believe your sexuality was different to others?

3) Are you single or in a relationship?

4) Are you 18-29, 30-45 or older than 45 years old.

5) Would you change your sexuality to meet the majority of people?

6) Have you ever had sex with anyone?

7) Does your partner accept your sexuality/ did your previous partner accept your sexuality?

8) Do you feel pressured to change your sexuality to meet the majority of people?

9) Have you seen any change in your asexuality over time i.e become more sexually curious/tolerant or become even less interested in sex/intolerant?

10) What rating would you give your asexuality 1-100 (1 being I absolutely detest the very thought of sex and it completely repulses me, 100 being I have no particular interest in sex but occasionally I do it and it can actually feel quite physically pleasant for me).

Thanks in advance.

Em

• Like 1

1) Are you male or female?

Female

19 years of age 

Single 

18-29

No 

No

7) Does your partner accept your sexuality/ did your previous partner accept your sexuality?

Not applicable, never had a partner

8) Do you feel pressured to change your sexuality to meet the majority of people?

Yes.

9) Have you seen any change in your asexuality over time i.e become more sexually curious/tolerant or become even less interested in sex/intolerant?

Intolerance grows the more I learn about sex 

10) What rating would you give your asexuality 1-100 (1 being I absolutely detest the very thought of sex and it completely repulses me, 100 being I have no particular interest in sex but occasionally I do it and it can actually feel quite physically pleasant for me).

1-I absolutely detest the very thought of sex and it completely repulses me

Alawyn-Aebt

I. Male

II. 18

III. Single

IV. 18-29

V. No, but I would never change anything to meet the majority of people

VI. No

VII. Not Applicable

VIII. No

IX. No

X. 50, not repulsed nor really into it

1) Are you male or female? Female

2) When did you begin to believe your sexuality was different to others? I don't know, I knew I wasn't interested in sex but I didn't really think too much of it. But when I found AVEN at age 17, I started thinking I might be asexual. 

3) Are you single or in a relationship? Single

4) Are you 18-29, 30-45 or older than 45 years old. 18-29. But people who are 13-17 can use this website, so you might want to add a category for them.

5) Would you change your sexuality to meet the majority of people? No, because I'm not interested in a relationship.

6) Have you ever had sex with anyone? No

7) Does your partner accept your sexuality/ did your previous partner accept your sexuality? N/A, never had a partner

8 ) Do you feel pressured to change your sexuality to meet the majority of people? No, see 5

9) Have you seen any change in your asexuality over time i.e become more sexually curious/tolerant or become even less interested in sex/intolerant? I haven't seen a change in my own interest in sex, I still have none. But I've become more tolerant of other people's interest in sex.

10) What rating would you give your asexuality 1-100 (1 being I absolutely detest the very thought of sex and it completely repulses me, 100 being I have no particular interest in sex but occasionally I do it and it can actually feel quite physically pleasant for me). About 25, I'm not really repulsed by the idea of sex but I have no interest in it and the idea seems unappealing.

1) Are you male or female?

Female

I think I was 16 but I'm not sure

Single

18-29

No

No

N/A

No

9) Have you seen any change in your asexuality over time i.e become more sexually curious/tolerant or become even less interested in sex/intolerant?

Maybe Slightly more curious

AllTimeBubble

Female

Only at around 15, didnt figure out a word for it until 16 and didnt realise that was me until I was almost 17.

Single and plan to stay that way

17 but I'll be 18 in July

No

Nope

7) Does your partner accept your sexuality/ did your previous partner accept your sexuality?

N/A (havent been in a relationship)

Little bit, but never directly

9) Have you seen any change in your asexuality over time i.e become more sexually curious/tolerant or become even less interested in sex/intolerant?

Not really, although I suppose it's still early days for me

10) What rating would you give your asexuality 1-100 (1 being I absolutely detest the very thought of sex and it completely repulses me, 100 being I have no particular interest in sex but occasionally I do it and it can actually feel quite physically pleasant for me).

Asexual_Goddess

1) Are you male or female?

Female (you may want to add an option for other genders❤️)

Eighth grade (I was 13)

Single

I am 15...

nah

no way🤢

Not in relationship

No

9) Have you seen any change in yourasexuality over time i.e become more sexually curious/tolerant or become even less interested in sex/intolerant?

Not really, but I am questioning my romantic orientation 

10) What rating would you give your asexuality 1-100 (1 being I absolutely detest the very thought of sex and it completely repulses me, 100 being I have no particular interest in sex but occasionally I do it and it can actually feel quite physically pleasant for me).

female

14 years of age

single

13-17

ive thought about this, but i don’t think i would, no

6) Have you ever had sex with anyone?

no 

ive never been in a situation where i needed to tell them

yes 

ive change from being completely grossed out to being more indifferent

10) What rating would you give your asexuality 1-100 (1 being I absolutely detest the very thought of sex and it completely repulses me, 100 being I have noparticular interest in sex but occasionally I do it and it can actually feel quite physically pleasant for me).

a solid 2.6

Captain_Tass

Gray-ace here but might as well answer

1 hour ago, Emily19 said:

Are you male or female?

Nope!

When did you begin to believe your sexuality was different to others?

Not exactly sure... Around 12-13

Are you single or in a relationship?

Single

Are you 18-29, 30-45 or older than 45 years old.

Would you change your sexuality to meet the majority of people?

No, why would I?

Have you ever had sex with anyone?

Nope!

Does your partner accept your sexuality/ did your previous partner accept your sexuality?

Wouldn't know, never had one

Do you feel pressured to change your sexuality to meet the majority of people?

Nope, not at all!

Have you seen any change in your asexuality over time i.e become more sexually curious/tolerant or become even less interested in sex/intolerant?

As I got to accept myself for who I am, I did accept that I was less interested in sex than I originally thought. My sexuality didn't change, my attitude towards it did.

What rating would you give your asexuality 1-100 (1 being I absolutely detest the very thought of sex and it completely repulses me, 100 being I have no particular interest in sex but occasionally I do it and it can actually feel quite physically pleasant for me).

Wouldn't know and I can't answer beyond hypothetical scenarios so I'm going to give this question a pass.

• Like 3

Female.

It didn't even occur to me until a long ways into my second long-term relationship. Turns out women are supposed to like sex, contrary to all those Christian teachings I heard growing up!

I'm in something of a relationship with an allosexual man right now; we're testing the waters to see how long-term compatibility will work with a lack of sexual compatibility. 

18-29. I'm 23 right now, and only discovered my asexuality a year ago. 

As in, would I change it if I were able? Absolutely. 100%. No question. 

Or do you mean, do I pretend to be something other than asexual? Now that I'm aware of it, I try to be upfront about it for potential romantic partners. 

Three different men to date. Lovely, handsome, wonderful men that I was very attracted to, who did their very best to please me in bed. I can confidently say it's not a matter of "meeting the right one" or "being properly done."

My previous partner accepted my asexuality, though I could tell he wouldn't have been happy with it in the long run. I broke up with him so he wouldn't have to suffer. 

My current partner knew about it from the start, and so far doesn't seem dissuaded. 

8 ) Do you feel pressured to change your sexuality to meet the majority of people?

If I'm understanding this correctly, I don't really "change" anything (because I can't), but when I'm in a romantic relationship I compromise by having more sex than I would like (none). 

Not really. I've always been disinterested. I still am. I don't hate sex, but I get bored by it and see it as a chore sometimes. 

Maybe a 90? I sometimes have fun making my partner go a little crazy, but sex does not usually feel nice to me. Usually it's a little uncomfortable because I can't fully relax down there. 

I liken sex to "going to the dentist." It's not awful, sometimes it feels okay, it might be good for me in the long run, but no matter how nice my dentist is I have no desire to spend an hour at the dentist every day. 

Female

I don't know, really. As a teenager, I mostly felt like something was wrong with me. I suppose by college I felt "different" from other people, but not so much in a "my sexuality is different from other people's" way as in a "what's wrong with me that I'm not interested in sex and relationships like other people are?" way. Over time I gradually became accepting of my lack of interest and figured that is just the way I am. I didn't hear the term "asexual" until pretty recently.

Single

30-45

No

Yes

I didn't know anything about asexuality when I was married. From the beginning, my ex was very bothered by the fact that I didn't enjoy sex or have much interest in it. Sex was always the worst part of the relationship.

No

I started off feeling like I "ought" to like sex. I went through a period of a few years when I thought if I could just have sex, or figure out the right techniques, I could get over my anxiety and discomfort with sex. I tried to like sex when I first got involved with my ex-husband, but it didn't work. Sex quit being as anxiety-producing once I got used to doing it, but it was mostly just a chore to get through. By the time I got divorced, I just accepted that I had no interest in romantic/sexual relationships and my lack of interest quit being a source of stress.

I don't know. 50? I'm not repulsed by sex, but I have no interest in it and there's nothing about it that I find pleasurable.

everywhere and nowhere

Female.

Around the age of 16? But some 10 years earlier I already intended not to marry and not to have children and I realised that it's contrary to what girls are taught to dream of. It could be perceived as a harbinger of my asexuality.

Single. Also homoaffectional and always unrequited...

38 years old soon.

Never.

No.

Not applicable.

8 ) Do you feel pressured to change your sexuality to meet the majority of people? [I need to add the space after "8" because otherwise it changes into an emoticon :()

A little. But I'm proud to resist sociocultural pressure.

In these areas you have mentioned - not really. However, I became more open to admitting the complexity of my experience: for example, that I'm not asexual according to one definition of asexuality (I experience something I could describe as sexual attraction), but still asexual according to another (despite the former, I absolutely don't want to have sex). I accepted my feelings more fully, became more steadfast in knowing that, for example, discomfort with nudity is not a thing to be ashamed of and that if I wouldn't even want to be attractive, I should be brave enough to defend my choice of embracing my nudity aversion instead of giving in to the predominant social belief that it's a pathological phenomenon.

Hard to say in numbers. I could say that I "detest the very thought of sex" - but only the thought of personally having sex. I don't have such reactions to sex not involving myself, can have third-person fantasies... I consider it important insofar as allosexual notions of "being sexually open" usually fit asexual people very poorly. Our feelings about sex are often very complex. I feel a need to "warn" people that I'm not sex-indifferent, I'm 0% sexually available, not just "uninterested in having sex", but actively distressed by the idea of doing it. However, it would be almost equally inaccurate to assume that I'm "not interested in sex" - I find sexuality a very interesting topic, it's just that partnered sex is definitely not something in which I would like to participate.

bookwormprincesskat

1) Are you male or female?

Female

Hm. I’m not entirely sure. I suppose the first time I actually started to explore and wonder what I was probably started around 18. I went from thinking I was straight to bisexual or even maybe a lesbian and then pansexual. I was pretty confused for quite awhile. Growing up in a strict Christian household I didn’t know asexual existed. I thought something was wrong with me for a long time. 

Married

18-29. Just turned 26 a week ago. 

Nope. 

Yes 

Yes he does. He is super supportive. I think we already knew that there was something more beyond just a super low sex drive so when I came out once I was sure it wasn’t a huge surprise and didn’t change much since we already had a nice arrangement that works for us. 

8. ) Do you feel pressured to change your sexuality to meet the majority of people?

Yes I do. Mostly because we are also a polyamorous couple. Most poly people are very very sexual so it can be a hard to find a place where I feel comfortable. 

More adverse actually. Beyond my husband I have beyond zero interest in sex. I would rather not hear or see it. I am fine reading bits of it because I can skim over it but that’s about as far as it goes. 

hmmm again this is difficult to answer. I suppose if I think about my husband 100. But again outside of that relationship it would be 1. 

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

Neither.

Around 18 or 19.

Single.

18-29

Never.

Short answer: Never!

Long answer: Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only (romantic) relationship I've been in was one that was decided on for me even though I didn't officially agree to it. And that all took place before I knew I was asexual. If I did know I was asexual and I told her, I don't think she would've wanted to be in a relationship with me.

8) Do you feel pressured to change your sexuality to meet the majority of people?

Never.

Not really. For as long as I've known about sex, I've always felt the way I do about it.

1. Just 1.

8 hours ago, Emily19 said:

Hi, for personal reasons I have become highly interested in asexuality. Over the next few weeks I plan to ask a series of questions regarding asexuality and I hope that maybe some people will help me understand asexuality better. I’ve drafted some questions up to kick off with so here goes:

Thanks in advance.

Em

1) I'm nonbinary, still questioning though

2) I've always known I'm different than my peers, found the term asexual just quite recently (what it actually means and how the label fits me)

3) single

4) let's say between 25-30 ;)

5) no. I tried to fit in when I was young, but it caused nothing but harm to me and really didn't feel like "me"

6) no

7) I've never been in a sexual relationship

8 ) not anymore, but my teenage years were really tough, I felt completely alone and isolated in the society.

9) pretty much this:

6 hours ago, Life Of Tass said:

As I got to accept myself for who I am, I did accept that I was less interested in sex than I originally thought. My sexuality didn't change, my attitude towards it did.

And I'd add, I never experienced sexual interest towards anyone, but that was suggested so strongly to be the only choice that I didn't even think about anything else for a long time. I kind of dodged the whole sexuality question during my teens and really started to explore myself as a young adult.

10) hard to say, maybe 30? I'm not repulsed by sex, I just don't feel any need to have it with anyone. Still I think I'm physically capable of enjoying the act of sex... but so many other things just simply feel more interesting to me :P

• Like 1
Bronztrooper

1) Male

2) Hmm... around 16-17 I started wondering if I was bi because I experienced aesthetic attraction towards guys, but I didn't hear or learn about asexuality until about a year after I graduated high school (so, about 18), and after I did it just clicked.

3) Single

4) 22

5) Change my sexuality?  Sorry, but I can't help but feel like this question was poorly worded.  But to answer as the question is written: No

6) No

7) The only relationship I've been in was before I realized that I was ace, so this question doesn't apply to me

8 ) I'd be more likely to be pressured into smoking or drinking- neither of which I'm ever likely to do.

9) Not really, no

10) 45 (don't really care about sex on general, but not comfortable with the idea of actually sleeping with someone)

Nope

16 ish. That's when my friends started to become interested in people. Before they weren't, which made me feel like it was normal not to be. At my 9th I knew I never wanted to have sex and cried myself to sleep when people told me I'd change my mind, because to me it felt like I wouldn't have a choice in the matter. Somehow I still thought people wanting to have sex with each other was for the most part Hollywood nonsense though. It seemed so weird and unreal to me.
I didn't find the word 'asexual' until I was 20.

Single

18-29

When I first found out I was ace I would have, but now not anymore. I am also sex-repulsed (separate thing, not all aces have it, some sexual people do have it), and that probably wouldn't change along with my orientation, so then it would be kind of pointless. Also, I feel like I wouldn't be me anymore. Asexuality is a thing that shapes how I perceive the world, and it has shaped who I am.

Nope

Every date I've told about it wasn't too pleased with it/didn't believe me/tried to change me.

8)Do you feel pressured to change your sexuality to meet the majority of people?

Yes. Quite a bit.

Nope 

KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty
18 hours ago, Emily19 said:

8] Do you feel pressured to change your sexuality to meet the majority of people?

1) Female, but I'm very androgynous.

2) Pretty much all my life.

3) Single.

4) 18-29.

5) No way. 

6) Never.

7) Understatement of the year: it was complicated.

8] No. Even if I was, I wouldn't change for anyone.

9) It seems like I get more and more repulsed by the thought of sex with each passing day. 

10) 1. 

Anthracite_Impreza

Masculine enby

12? I realised I was attracted to vehicles but didn't want sex, so didn't think much of it. I remained interested in vehicles but the sex thing never made sense to me.

In a "something or other"

18-29

Absolutely not, I'm not interested in humans.

BIG NOPE.

Considering he's a car, he's asexual by default, so yes.

8 ) Do you feel pressured to change your sexuality to meet the majority of people?

I used to, but I remained steadfast and no one really bothers me any more.

I'm still sex averse, but more tolerant in my attitude than I used to be. I was actively anti-sexual for much of my youth.

1 personally.

NickyTannock

@Emily19 A belated welcome to AVEN!

I'm male.

In my early teens, around 14.

I'm single.

I'm 33.

No, I don't think that I would.

No, I am a virgin.

I've never had a romantic relationship.

Sometimes.

No, my Asexuality has been consistent throughout my life.

I'd give my Asexuality a 1, as the thought of having sex with someone is unpleasant to me. 

Incidentally, it is a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake, and here's a Finding Nemo Cake,

1fe402cf3d970249b3234c40513fd29b.jpg