Did anyone find out they're ace in their early teen years and still go by it?

Calathiel

Hi! I'm new on here! I was curious if anyone found out that they were asexual at a younger age and still are, and what it was like growing u knowing that that could change later on. Or what it was like if you identified as asexual earlier on and later realized you weren't.

Captain_Tass

@MichaelTannock, if I remember correctly.

everywhere and nowhere

When I was in my early teenage years, I haven't even heard about asexuality. However, already when I was about 9 years old, my lifestyle choice was: no marriage, no children, no sex. I still haven't done any of it. ;)

I didn't have the name for the term until over a decade later, but I still knew I had no interest in sex as soon as I learned what sex was at 14.  I never had the "this could change" thought because, seemingly contrary to the way most people operate, I never felt conflicted/questioning about the way I felt about things.

4 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

I didn't have the name for the term until over a decade later, but I still knew I had no interest in sex as soon as I learned what sex was at 14.

I was 13, but yep, I knew I had no interest in sex or marriage. (I'm 49 now for context)

NickyTannock

Welcome to AVEN!

@Life Of Tass @Lichley remembers correctly.

I realised that I'm Asexual in my early teens, around 14 when I started hearing sexual comments from my peers and in media and found that they bewildered me.

It was difficult for me, because I kept it a secret from my family for around 19 years.

Incidentally, it is a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake, and here are some Blue Rose Butter Cream Cupcakes,

screen-shot-2016-03-24-at-18-46-46.png?w

Chocolatastic AroAce

I didn't know there was a word for it then but I knew since age 13. I don't think it changed at all.....it just took me some time to accept it and identify it.

On 4/22/2019 at 3:30 PM, Ameline257 said:

I didn't know there was a word for it then but I knew since age 13. I don't think it changed at all.....it just took me some time to accept it and identify it.

Same; I knew something was weird when I felt so detached during early sex ed stuff, and I was never romantically interested in anyone at school. All my friends would have GFs and I’d just be off to the side wondering what the hype was about 🤔.

Nine of Spades

I first found out about the term in my early teens and sorta identified as one, but somewhere down the line I forgot. I developed a pretty strong libido as I grew into a man and I was pretty much convinced that I wasn't asexual because of it. Years after an extremely confusing and isolated early adulthood, here I am now.

Also, funny story. In my early teens I was at a church teen camp thingy and was messing around. I don't remember what happened exactly, but I remember being surrounded by some girls and they asked me if I was gay for some reason. I told them I was asexual (and butchered the pronunciation lol) which made them think that I flirt with ovens or something. That's what they actually asked me. And that question was just as awkward and weird as you'd expect.

Captain Jay

I did... sort of. While unaware that there was a word for it at the time, I was fairly certain that I wasn't as interested in sex as most everyone around me in my teenage years. I didn't spend much time thinking about "bedding" people, that's for sure.

I've also never been interested in having children, though feeling that I'm not cut out for such is another part of that.

Archived