UK ace activism - get involved!

michaeld

Hi all,

First I hope you'll all having a great Easter! :cake:

About a year and a half ago, I put out a call for volunteers to help with UK visibility, education and activism. Read the original thread for much more detail about what might be involved.

Everything said back then still applies pretty much! We are looking for a wide range of experience and skills. It's very likely that anyone can bring something to the table. Living in the UK isn't necessarily required - we can always do with more designers and people to help out on social media. While our efforts are UK focussed, we are very happy to share resources with people in other countries.

After my call in 2017, we got together a great band of volunteers and together we made the UK asexuality conference happen last year. :cake: However this was a while ago and some people are no longer able to participate for whatever reason. Thus it's time to get more people involved. This is where you all come in!

The two most immediate things on our agenda are the 2019 UK conference in Edinburgh. I have already posted about this here:

We are just about to announce a venue. We need more people both to help plan the conference and to be a volunteer on the day. The day volunteers have a variety of roles, from sitting on the registration desk during a certain hour (we take shifts usually), to helping manage our catering, to being an accessibility officer, to being a general volunteer who is around to answer questions on the day. We will also need help advertising the conference online.

The other thing on our agenda is Asexual Awareness Week. We want to start planning this a bit earlier this year. Thus we will spend some time in the coming months trying to arrange talks at universities and work places for this autumn and then spend some of the summer designing resources for the week.

If you'd like to get involved, please post here or PM me! We work on skype for the most part so it's helpful - though not essential - if you have a skype account. If so, feel free to PM me it and I'll add you to the group.

Slice of Ace

I'll be at the conference in Edinburgh and am happy to do some volunteering for it on the day :) 

Also, I was going to advertise the conference through the Slice of Ace YouTube and Twitter when the venue is announced. That probably won't get to that many UK-based folks though, but I might catch a couple. 

I’d be happy to get involved in developing resources. I have experience distilling various subjects into easy to understand training and guidance material. I recently had a first go at doing this for asexuality (see link below) and I’m keen to develop further material.

Archived