Hallo!

kardemomme

Hi!

I'm still not sure on what I would identify as, but after being on this site for a bit, it's nice to know that's alright. Growing up I have always been aesthetically attracted to people and would refer to them as cute, beautiful, or handsome. But as I got older it was like a puzzle trying to understand what others meant when they said a person was 'hot or 'sexy.' Also I would get very excited when my friends entered into healthy relationships where they were happy about and never thought about getting into one myself. My friends did not question me about my singleness or the fact that I always had a blank look on my face when they talked about sex, because I guess they just knew. However most of the acquaintances I made through work, extracurricular activities, etc would always ask and seem confused about why I wasn't making any effort to be with anyone. I never really knew how to answer these questions, so I would just say something about waiting to see what happens. I had a confusing last summer when I attended a camp and had to be told that someone was trying to flirt with me. I'm in my early twenties and I was pretty much shook that I did not understand how people entered into relationships in the first place. I ended up researching attraction and stumbled upon asexuality. At first it was interesting to learn about but I did not think it applied to me since I thought people were attractive. The more times I came across the topic, the more I realized that it actually explained a lot. I'm grateful for this community because it has been so helpful reading about the experiences you all have had. Well that's my story so far and I'm excited to meet everyone! 

NickyTannock

@kardemomme Welcome to AVEN!

You could be an Aromantic Asexual.

Asexuality is a lack of Sexual Attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to have sex with someone.
Meaning if what you're feeling doesn't lead to the desire to have sex with the person you're feeling it towards, then it's not Sexual Attraction, even if it is an attraction or arousal.
Likewise, Aromanticism is a lack of Romantic Attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to have a romantic relationship with someone.
But there are other types of attraction besides Sexual Attraction and Romantic Attraction.
There's Sensual Attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to have intimate non-sexual physical contact with someone, like kissing or cuddling.
There's Aesthetic Attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to appreciate someone's aesthetic beauty.
There's Platonic Attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to have a deep friendship with someone.
And more.

Incidentally, it is a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake, and here's a Books Cake,

wide.jpg

Archived