Are you a collector?

naakka

Do you collect anything? How long have you been collecting, why did you start collecting etc? :)

I collect manga books, been collecting since my early teens because of I love the wide variety of art styles on manga series and the combination of story and visual art. I think I have a bit over hundred books. Now I wish I'd just find a book shelf to fit them all xD

I collect a few things actually, but this one can be the start here ;)

This is the first thing I thought of when I read this post, which I find quite amusing.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/tales-of-mr-collector

I have collected non-standard British currency coins and insects since I was a small child of around 4-5.

Sometimes I just get a special coin when people give you change (instead of having to buy it), and I have to carry it around until I can put it into my shelf thing, and then I see a thing I really want to buy, and THE EXACT AMOUNT I just found is missing (ie. I can only pay for it if I use the coin) and it is heartbreaking (but I always end up keeping the coin, of course).

I'm very prone to collecting things, so I'm trying not to. Over my years alive I've collected fossils, capsules, go-go's, pokémon, gemstones, foreign coins, Swedish coins, hair toys (stuff you put up your hair with), books (of certain types), movies, and more.

Since this can easily turn into a very cluttered way of living, I try not to collect. I still have all the Redwall books since I love them, and I've kept all my old Swedish coins since that actually seems like something I could collect without it taking up a lot of space, but everything else is pretty much gone by now. I've decluttered a lot.

Bruce Wayne

Well, I collect models of prehistoric animals and wildlife in general but I only buy a few per year... Not like my best friend who is a massive collector of these. I collect books about palaeontology, partly because of paleo-art. :) But indeed, because of the information as well. These I have been collecting since I was 8. That was 11 years ago.

19 minutes ago, Steve Rogers said:

Well, I collect models of prehistoric animals and wildlife in general but I only buy a few per year... Not like my best friend who is a massive collector of these. I collect books about palaeontology, partly because of paleo-art. :) But indeed, because of the information as well. These I have been collecting since I was 8. That was 11 years ago.

I used to collect dinosaur models as a kid, but I donated most of them to orphanages to spread the love of dinos

I also collect antiques, foreign currency, books, and random stuff that I'll EVENTUALLY use as a piece of art. 

Alawyn-Aebt

I collect coins and stamps.

My grandfather used to empty a jar at work that people tossed loose change in for decades on end, so I started there. Then I was given my great-grandmother's spare foreign coins from when she toured Europe in the 1950s and 1960s. I also have been extremely lucky with randomly finding interesting coins. I mostly collect foreign coins.

I rescued some foreign stamps that were my great-grandfathers from the trash, so I started collecting stamps. Again, mostly foreign stamps only. It also gives my something to do whenever my family goes hunting for antiques (I hate most antiques), I can search through the old post cards and see if there is a stamp from some country I do not have. It is a cheap way to collect them, the postcards cost about 5 cents each and many have more than one stamp on them.

My goal for both my stamps and coins is to get one from each nation that existed from 1900 onward.

I also collect a few other things, but those are my only collections that are presently growing.

I collect classic consoles and video games. My collection isn't anything like you see on Youtube but I have built it up over 30 years.

Like @naakka, I collect manga too :)

I'm also collecting BT21merch. I mostly have a few keychains and t shirts. And back when I was a kid, I used to collect Hello Kitty merchandise. 

Grumpy Alien

I collect old books, vintage cameras, and antique medical paraphernalia 

I collect foreign coins like crazy without raising a finger. 

Soviet union, india, czech republic, and the list goes on! 

I also collect paper money and postcards. 

Duke Memphis

I like to collect atypical coins, like buffalo nickels and foreign coins.

SarahSomeone
18 hours ago, naakka said:

I collect manga books, been collecting since my early teens because of I love the wide variety of art styles on manga series and the combination of story and visual art. I think I have a bit over hundred books. Now I wish I'd just find a book shelf to fit them all xD

Same! I probably have close to 90 and I’ve managed to fit them all in an obscure shelf close to the ground in my room so that my family doesn’t walk in and immediately see them all haha. Once I get my own apartment/house it would be nice to get a big shelf and I even fantasize about having some sort of hidden reading room to keep all of my manga/novels in 😂

3 hours ago, SarahSomeone said:

Same! I probably have close to 90 and I’ve managed to fit them all in an obscure shelf close to the ground in my room so that my family doesn’t walk in and immediately see them all haha. Once I get my own apartment/house it would be nice to get a big shelf and I even fantasize about having some sort of hidden reading room to keep all of my manga/novels in 😂

Mine are currently here and there, in the closets, shelfs, under the bed etc. I really don't like it, I'd love to see them all on one glimpse x/ I'm also worried they'll get damaged when they're just stuffed everywhere.

Late 60s to late 70s colour TVs, preferably those that use an ultrasonic remote. I made an exception for a particularly nice 1984 Sears console with a rather blocky infrared remote. I have five old sets right now; one non-remote set is in daily use. One is a mid-70s Sanyo whose remote has only two buttons, one of which provides limited control of power *and* volume; press the other one and watch the VHF knob rotate on its own, pretty trippy.

Archived