Lord Jade Cross

Yes, quite often. A lot of work isn't very fulfilling but that doesn't stop it from needing done. It's important to keep some tasks around that make you feel fulfilled even if they don't serve any other purpose. Milestones in life are not all they're cracked up to be either. I try to pick my own because the expected ones keep disappointing everyone.

LauraGarnham

I have been thinking about something similar recently, that so much of what I do is done with an end goal in mind, when I get to the goal I don't spend much time appreciating it before I move on to the next thing. I really need to make more of an effort to do things because I enjoy doing them and not because I feel I need to achieve something. I'm not saying I plan never to have goals anymore, but I definitely want to tone that done, and also work on feeling proud of my achievements when I make them. 

Member131995

Yes, often but I have to agree with the @Nevyn too often milestones, or the ones society considers important often disappoint. I do try to pick my own also because the ones the people around me consider important I haven't even met yet, like getting married, starting a family, becoming a mother. Those are important but I feel like frequently people hold others to certain timelines as far as milestones go and that's not realistic.

Also, I think because there not much danger or high stakes involved, I feel a lack of accomplishment.

WinterWanderer

I feel this. (Or rather, I also lack the feeling for this. 😛 )

I never felt accomplished when I succeeded at traditional goals. Like winning contests in school, making good grades, graduating college, etc. I've seen other people throwing parties to celebrate these milestones, while I just shrug them off and move on with my life.

do celebrate some of my more personal successes, though. Like, at work the other day, I had to give a presentation to dozens of very important people. It went well, and I was proud to have achieved that.

And today, I finally bought a coffee table for my new apartment in my new state. It's a small thing, but it means a lot to me. So I'm proud of it and mark it as a milestone.

RoseGoesToYale

I get this. I don't get fulfillment from completing tasks or meeting achievements as I do from experiencing things, like sipping coffee in the morning, or taking a walk in the woods, or watching snow fall, or feeling the rush of skates on ice. For me it's not so much about goals as it is just experiencing doing whatever it is.

I also feel no fulfillment. I don't get any amount of peace from my accomplishments because there is no end to the "boss fights" and because they spiral up in difficulty.

I found a pretty fitting analogy for me: the Sith from Star Wars. The Sith have two major flaws: Desiring power for the sake of power and a lack of fulfillment from that desire. If I replace "power" with the milestones from society like "knowledge", "money", "a job", "getting a partner" or "getting children" these flaws seem to apply to the real world too from my point of view. Some of these things are necessary for survival but I kind of stopped seeking or expecting fulfillment from them. Instead of following the milestones from society blindly, i should make my own milestones.

Fortunately I get fulfillment in my spare time. I feel fulfillment when I finished a drawing or a coloring, when I meditated for a certain amount of time, when took care of my plants, when I finished a good book and when I observe nature.

1 hour ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

For me it's not so much about goals as it is just experiencing doing whatever it is.

23 minutes ago, Toa Lhikan said:

Fortunately I get fulfillment in my spare time. I feel fulfillment when I finished a drawing or a coloring, when I meditated for a certain amount of time, when took care of my plants, when I finished a good book and when I observe nature.

Ditto to both of those thoughts! 😃

Just now, Jade Cross said:

If youre a dork, I dont know what I am because I litterally jumped out of my seat and started doing a victory dance the first time I defeated Nameless King in Dark Souls 3

If you want, you can be the king of dorks, lol! :D 

All hail the king! \(^o^)/

(Me, do a victory dance after defeating a boss? Never! Perish the thought... :ph34r:)

Archived