Question for people who have met someone you met online

Podsnap

Either had shared pics or just a brief description, and arranged to meet in a way/place where it would be likely that we would know we were the ones who were meeting up with each other. For something like an AVEN meetup where more than one other person might show up (or at least we hoped so) one person made a cardboard sign to hold up to their chest, like people sometimes do when picking someone up at an airport (at least according to Hollywood).

I'm told I look just like my pictures, so people have always recognized me quickly.

Most women I have met, looked exactly like their pictures. I have had a couple that I didn't recognize, as they used angling techniques to look totally different. So it was them locking eyes with me, and recognizing me and asking me if I was (insert my name) which told me it was the right person.

I have approached a wrong person once, but you just brush it off, haha.

1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

I have approached a wrong person once, but you just brush it off, haha.

Someone walked up to me in McDonald's one time and blurted out "Are you Sonya?" (I'm not Sonya.) It was no big deal.

I usually try to tell people I'm meeting up with what I'll be wearing that day and deliberately dress in something that's bright and colorful. It's pretty unlikely that lots of people will be wearing bright red floral dresses, after all 😆. Also, be specific in where you want to meet (ex. "in front of the library door" as opposed to just "at the library").

I have not done it yet, but I am really looking forward to it this summer. 

2 hours ago, CBC said:

I would not meet someone with whom I was so unfamiliar I couldn't recognise them instantly. What would even be my motivation for doing so? I like to spend time with people I know, not meet strangers from the internet.

I've never met someone I haven't seen in real life before and I don't know how easy or not it would be to recognize someone from just a picture. I don't know whether or not it would be instant. Most people my age are married and have families of their own by now and it's not that easy to just sort of go out and make friends. That and I like the idea of getting together with a fellow asexual and that would be next to impossible without meeting someone from the internet.

SpaceDustbin

Exchanged pictures, and made a very clear plan of where to meet + I usually said what I could be recognized with (generally an orange jacket, haha) 

I've met irl with several people I knew via interpals or Tumblr and it always ended well so far ;) . One of my tumblr friends ended up being my concert and musical buddy, so that's really fun :D

I can't believe I didn't think of just using photos 😅. Though, to be fair, every time I've needed to meet an online acquaintance in real life it's because we're in an online class together and have to work on a project. And most people in my online classes don't even bother with profile pictures (myself included) so I guess that's how I managed to completely overlook the simplest solution 😆.

Grumpy Alien

I met my now fiancé on aven first. I had talked to him both in group chats and one on one. Added on Facebook. Shared pictures. Had phone numbers. Met in public. Told people where we were going and who with.

I’ve also been to meetups which are safe because they’re in public and in groups.

6 hours ago, Podsnap said:

Someone walked up to me in McDonald's one time and blurted out "Are you Sonya?" (I'm not Sonya.) It was no big deal.

I have had that happen way too many times. Not Sonya, though. Mercifully...

I got mistaken for people, or celebrities.

Weirdest? Tiger Woods on a city bus. I don't even look Asian in any way shape or form (or mixed race).

This senior was so convinced, he gaslit me into believing I was.

"Umm....I don't golf.."

*senior looks gutted* 

I almost felt like signing him an autograph, just to cheer him up O_o

This was Tiger in his prime. Not Tiger post scandal. Post scandal, him on a city bus in a city he doesn't even golf or do business in makes sense.

Texted them where I was waiting and the color of my clothing. When I didn't know who they were, I just looked for someone confused-and-looking-around and went 'X'? I am not that good at remembering faces, so even after meeting someone once or twice, I can't easily detect them

Archived