Why has this happened?

4EverAceandAlone

4EverAceandAlone

There's been a situation going on that I still can't seem to understand, and I'm hoping maybe you guys can help me out. An odd thing I experienced was having feelings for someone after these many years of not holding any attraction. I still wish to be single, but I don't know why this has happened to me.

Over a year ago, I adapted feelings for my old childhood friend. I will put in that we are the same gender. This was a very difficult thing for me to take in, where I didn't want to believe I had feelings for them- the same gender especially. It was just very strange to me, as I never believed I saw myself having feelings not only for them, but towards someone of the same gender.

Long story short, after many months of these feelings piling up, I did admit my feelings towards them. In which they simply told me they didn't reciprocate my feelings: which was fine by me, since I wanted us to still be close friends no matter the outcome. After that our friendship continued on as normal and they didn't see me any different than before. It almost seemed like that never happened.

But what I'm really struggling with, is that even after over an entire year, I still haven't gotten over my feelings for them. I love and enjoy being single, and I don't hold attractions towards anybody else, but what was this?

Is this just some odd thing? Or is there some other side of my sexuality I haven't really allowed myself to accept?

I don't hold attraction towards males- I have a weird thing going on where I'm sometimes not comfortable around them. But even with usually holding closer bonds with females, I still have these feelings towards them. Towards my childhood best friend. I know I'm Aro/Ace, but is there any explanation to this odd attraction towards them or the same gender?

Any advice or comment helps.

I have also experienced developing feelings for a childhood friend (opposite sex/gender in my case) as we got older. I relate to the feeling lasting as well. In my case I put this down as romantic feelings, and the way I’d describe it is quite similar to the way you described it. That doesn’t mean that’s what you’re describing, especially if you’re aro, but I thought I’d share where I got to.

Archived