Sharing the knowledge

SorryNotSorry

SorryNotSorry

My roommate and I have been photographing things we've built in preparation for opening an online store. We've shot pics of bar stools and shorter stools I've made, my buddy next wants to shoot pics of 7 or 8 different size aluminum tool boxes I've made. Other stuff will come later.

Problem with my tool boxes is they're not that profitable to make and sell because they're very time-consuming to make. I'm toying with the idea of selling not only some boxes I build (there will always be people who want to buy a new tool box for Dad in his favorite color), but also downloadable pdf files with plans on how to build them.

Pros: the design is good, no welding/soldering/brazing is required, aluminum doesn't rust, and just about any custom size tool box can be built with this design.

Cons: you need a lot of tools to do a really nice job building them— electric saw, electric drill, pop riveter, vise, file, and a few others.

Think selling the downloadable plans would be a good idea?

Sexual Ally

I love the idea.  Whether it would be economically viable, I've not a clue.  I guess I'd ask 1) is there currently a market for downloadable plans in general at this time?  Or have free/paid tutorial sites such as YouTube/SkillShare saturated this market?  2) Assuming one owns the necessary tools and knows how to operate them, would the materials for this item make your download more cost-effective than purchasing the same item pre-made?  (This in no way precludes the fact that builders and tradespeople will always exist and want to ply their craft, for self-satisfaction, efficiency and quality.  But if materials + download = less $ than quality pre-made, that could help make an educated decision as to the viability of yr pdf on the market).

Just google Plans to Build Toolbox and you will find that there are many on-line.  

You could, but I don't see it being practical for someone who isn't a hobbyist. That is a highly niche sounding market.

I sell standard size tool boxes, but even that is highly niche level of clientele. I rarely sell these as a result.

"Why buy my plans vs others" needs to be a question you can answer. 

SorryNotSorry

Update: last night I found out I have a little less competition. I searched for the 5-legged stool Amazon used to sell, a nice one with a chrome frame and an upholstered seat.

I couldn't find it. Not even "currently unavailable".

So it looks like I'll be the only one selling 5-legged stools. For sure I'll be the only one selling 5-legged tables, because searches turned up none.

SorryNotSorry
10 hours ago, Sally said:

Just google Plans to Build Toolbox and you will find that there are many on-line.  

I've seen them, and they require a sheet metal brake, a large tool which costs $400. They're nothing like the frame-and-panel boxes I design and build.

33 minutes ago, Woodworker1968 said:

They're nothing like the frame-and-panel boxes I design and build.

You've answered the "why buy mine vs others" question. 

But to supply plans only, is very niche. 

If you have done a business plan or at least know the market is there, all the power to you! 

Archived