2020 U.S. Presidential Race

Tyger Songbird

2 hours ago, SithGrinch said:

Gag me. Oligarchies suck. 

Oligarchies are not the ones going to the polls to vote.  The primaries are designed to winnow out people who don't get votes.  The final candidate hopefully will reflect the result of the primaries.  

15 minutes ago, Sally said:

Oligarchies are not the ones going to the polls to vote.  The primaries are designed to winnow out people who don't get votes.  The final candidate hopefully will reflect the result of the primaries.  

Never said our all powerful oligarchs are the ones going to polls. Though they are. At least in the Democratic primary. I don't know the details of the Republican one as much, I just remember the super deligates who got to vote however they wanted. 

Besides, the oligarchs are the ones being elected. No one can be in politics without coming from a wealthy family or having a bunch of connections. There's a reason publicly funded candidates cause such a stir. 

Tyger Songbird
5 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

Kamala Harris is dropping out of the race.

Yup. She wasn't able to win Iowa and she would have been smoked in her own home state. It was going to happen. Her record as prosecutor was so bad that no one should have wanted it. I'm just saying.

Harris just didn't have the financial backing to continue.  

4 hours ago, SithGrinch said:

Besides, the oligarchs are the ones being elected. No one can be in politics without coming from a wealthy family or having a bunch of connections. There's a reason publicly funded candidates cause such a stir. 

That's a broad statement that's not accurate.  Many politicians who win races don't come from wealthy families, nor do all of them have "connections", if by that you people they know with money and power.  There's really no public funding for political candidates in America -- not sure what you meant by that.  

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief
5 hours ago, Sally said:

That's a broad statement that's not accurate.  Many politicians who win races don't come from wealthy families, nor do all of them have "connections", if by that you people they know with money and power.  There's really no public funding for political candidates in America -- not sure what you meant by that.  

It was very quick for me to find contrary information proving you wildly wrong on this. The average net worth of a US citizen is around $80000. Compared with this, only one politician out of 13 running in the 2020 elections is below that. Most of the others are considerably above - of course with Donald Trump at the top at $2 billion ish, but even the second poorest candidate in terms of net wealth has an average estimate of $400000. And especially bizarre to me is that the one who is actually likely in debt due to paying for kid's tuition fees is a Republican who campaigns effectively against labour rights...wow.

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2015/08/24/the-net-worth-of-each-presidential-candidate/

I'm sorry but to say that the US doesn't have "publicly funded" candidates...what's obviously meant by that is that due to US elections having no limit on campaign spending, poorer candidates hoping to win have to rely on small donations from the population rather than larger donors who typically back the more right wing candidates. In the UK we have limits to campaign spending, which is why there's more talk of corruption in politics and parties can be taken to court for going over, though that's often much harder to win in practice because no political system is that good at holding politicians to account.

If Joe Biden ends up being the democratic candidate, Doughnald will win again.

Back to Avalon

I hope you're wrong because Biden has a good shot at being the nominee. I hope he gets his act together.

Calligraphette_Coe
5 minutes ago, Back to Avalon said:

I hope you're wrong because Biden has a good shot at being the nominee. I hope he gets his act together.

Wouldn't it just be the most delicious of ironies that Trump wins the popular vote, but Joe Biden beats him in the electoral college? That Biden gets all the 'Blue Wall" states like Pennsylvania ( which could happen because of where Biden is from), Michigan and Wisconsin? All because Trump has this paranoia and had to put his finger on the scale by trying to extort Ukraine, which ended up getting him impeached but not removed in the Senate, but riled up enough people in those previously mentioned Blue Wall States that gave Trump the Electoral College in 2016?

The Constitution giveth and the Constitution taketh.

Back to Avalon

I want to click "Like" like a million times. Or until I go fix dinner.

Biden can go suck a lemon. But I'll still vote for him over the rotting orange. 

If Trump won the popular vote he would win the electoral college in a landslide as the Republican safe states are fairly low population (except Texas). So, he would have won 40 states if he won the popular vote.

4 hours ago, Homer said:

If Joe Biden ends up being the democratic candidate, Doughnald will win again.

And that pronouncement is based on what?

3 hours ago, Calligraphette_Coe said:

that Trump wins the popular vote

I'd say that is very unlikely, given his low support numbers.

14 hours ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

It was very quick for me to find contrary information proving you wildly wrong on this. The average net worth of a US citizen is around $80000.

I'm sorry but to say that the US doesn't have "publicly funded" candidates...what's obviously meant by that is that due to US elections having no limit on campaign spending, poorer candidates hoping to win have to rely on small donations from the population rather than larger donors who typically back the more right wing candidates. 

The "average worth" means nothing, as you probably understand.  We're talking about individual candidates' for office, not a worth based on many millions of people.  

"Publicly funded" means funded by public (i.e. governmental) sources, not funded by individual members of the public.  

5 hours ago, daveb said:

And that pronouncement is based on what?

Biden seems to be mentally unfit - not lashing out unfit like your drunk facist uncle Doughnald, but like the 96yo grandpa sitting at the porch, yelling at the kids who aren't there to get off the lawn of a house he owned 40 years ago. Also him milking the fact that he knows Dronebama is off-putting as heck. If the Democrats have 72 candidates running and Biden ends up the one being nominated, they have it coming.

I'm very afraid of Biden being the nominee.  He won't be able to take Trump's bullshit calmly, and of course Trump will do nothing but give him bullshit, since he knows that Biden will react with outrage.   

6 hours ago, Homer said:

Biden seems to be mentally unfit - not lashing out unfit like your drunk facist uncle Doughnald, but like the 96yo grandpa sitting at the porch, yelling at the kids who aren't there to get off the lawn of a house he owned 40 years ago. Also him milking the fact that he knows Dronebama is off-putting as heck. If the Democrats have 72 candidates running and Biden ends up the one being nominated, they have it coming.

Some exaggerations there. :P

Also, I think you are underestimating how much how many people really dislike Trump and don't want to see him in office another 4 years.

(maybe I am being overly optimistic - none of us will really know until the election results in Nov 2020 are in)

45 minutes ago, natsume said:

Wouldn't call him a supporter.

Plus, he turned down biden's push-up contest. Wimp.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/05/biden-calls-iowa-voter-damn-liar-and-fat-after-ukraine-accusation.html

The man, who refused to identify himself to NBC News, later told a reporter he would vote for Biden if he is wins the Democratic nomination for president.

Do democrats regularly vote for people they don't support?

Yes, as do Republicans. They support the nominee in the general election even if they strongly supported a different candidate in the primaries. Trump would have had half the votes if Republicans weren't convinced to vote for him in the general election.

10 hours ago, daveb said:

(maybe I am being overly optimistic - none of us will really know until the election results in Nov 2020 are in)

I think I gave up being optimistic about anything tainted by Trump a while ago. What I find stunning is Trump's approval rating among Republicans and if he can maintain Republican support he could maintain the Presidency. What astounds me is I know some people who thought/think Bill Clinton should have been removed from office from lying, but yet see nothing wrong with Trump lying and involving himself with foreign governments (they don't even deny it, they accept it but still support him). That's what worries me for any non-Trump candidate.

Also I saw the most worrying sign yesterday. It was a 4'x8' Trump sign but across the bottom was written "Trump 2020 & 2024".

I know (hope?) that is probably not indicative of all Trump supporters, but I hardly need explain why that is a dangerous tendency among some of his supporters.

1 hour ago, Snegurochka McLouWho said:

OMG, that was horrible.  He's such a wild card; I never know what's gonna come out of his mouth.  It makes me very nervous thinking of him as the nominee.

Yeah, wow, that was so wild. And he's running against Trump who wouldn't shock anyone by threatening to rape a debate moderator (or lose supporters). Clearly he needs to get his wild card tendencies under control to run against Trump. His behavior might be a concern if he was in a general against Mitt Romney, but he's running against someone whose personality is reminiscent of a shock jock radio host on his best days and just nasty and offensive for the sake of it on his worst.

1 hour ago, Aebt-Ætheling said:

I think I gave up being optimistic about anything tainted by Trump a while ago.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complacent about it. I think it will be a hard fight and everyone who cares should get out and vote next November. But the fact is Trump doesn't have a large base of support. We've already seen what has happened in a lot of races/elections below the level of president in the last couple of years. That's part of what makes me optimistic.

3 hours ago, natsume said:

but he's running against someone whose personality is reminiscent of a shock jock radio host on his best days and just nasty and offensive for the sake of it on his worst.

I hear ya.

7 hours ago, Jethro said:

Biden lost his cool today when a supporter was asking a question.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of with him.  Trump will get him angry every time they're on a stage together.  Biden just can't keep his cool when he's criticized.  

Archived