2020 U.S. Presidential Race

Tyger Songbird

Sanders will be OK within a week or so.  However, he's just too old, and the heart situation won't help that (accurate) perception.  He's also dropping in the polls.  

Got to appreciate this, managed to turn this to policy

14 hours ago, Sally said:

Sanders will be OK within a week or so.  However, he's just too old, and the heart situation won't help that (accurate) perception.  He's also dropping in the polls.  

Yeah, putting in a couple stents is not the same as open-heart surgery.  My mom did have open-heart surgery, but died decades later of something unrelated.

But Sander's age and this latest news will have too many people wondering if he's up for it. 

Tyger Songbird

Fundraising Reports 3rd quarter: (so far reported)

1. Bernie Sanders----$25.3 million (⬆️ $1 million)

2. Pete Buttigieg----$19.1 million  (⬇️$6 million)

3. Kamala Harris----$11.6 million (⬇️ $500,000)

4. Andrew Yang-----$10 million (⬆️ $7.2 million)

5. Cory Booker----$6 million (⬆️ $1.5 million)

6. Marianne Williamson----$3.1 million (⬆️$1.5 million)

7. Michael Bennet -------$2.1 million (⬆️1.2 million)

All according to CBS News.

On 9/25/2019 at 9:41 PM, kenny. said:

absolutely not picking sides or political parties. but there’s another thing on the horizon as well: the 2020 election obv. i feel like asking ‘why now’? i’d rather focus on the current presidential candidates than impeaching a president who’s term is nearly up.

(if something i said if uninformed let me know!)

The impeachment talk is all about influencing the 2020 elections

21 minutes ago, Jethro said:

The impeachment talk is all about influencing the 2020 elections

It may influence the election, but it's definitely about investigating what this guy has been doing that's been under the radar.  And it's not just talk; the House will impeach (charge) him; he just won't be found guilty by the Senate because McConnell and the Republicans won't let that happen.  

Tyger Songbird

Fundraising statistics according to TheHill.com. and CBS News. 9 candidates have released their new quarter 3 (summer) fundraising totals. Here they are:

1. Bernie Sanders --$25.3 million (⬆️ $1 million)

2. Elizabeth Warren--$24.6 million (⬆️ $1 million)

3. Pete Buttigieg--$19.2 million (⬇️ $6 million)

4. Joe Biden--$15.2 million (⬇️ $6 million)

5. Kamala Harris--$11.6 million ( ⬇️ $500,000)

6. Andrew Yang--$10 million (⬆️ $7.2 million)

7. Cory Booker--$6 million (⬆️ $1.5 million)

8. Marianne Williamson--$3 million ( ⬆️ $1.5 million)

9. Michael Bennet--$2.1 million (⬆️ $1.2 million)

Romney criticised trump for it though I doubt he'll do anything serious about it

8 hours ago, Sally said:

It may influence the election, but it's definitely about investigating what this guy has been doing that's been under the radar.  And it's not just talk; the House will impeach (charge) him; he just won't be found guilty by the Senate because McConnell and the Republicans won't let that happen.  

After all that is done, what effect would it have had other than trying to sway the election?

As I said previously, impeachment is also about legality and legal processes and precedents. If a president does commit impeachable acts and Congress does not act on it they are giving tacit acceptance. And then future presidents can argue that they should be allowed to do those things, too. Quite a few Republicans who are dismissing things now were much more outspoken about things in the past (for example, during Democrat administrations).

Back to Avalon
2 hours ago, daveb said:

Quite a few Republicans who are dismissing things now were much more outspoken about things in the past (for example, during Democrat administrations).

Exactly. Republicans who are defending Trump would have been going batshit if Obama had done half the stuff Trump has done. Someone wanted to impeach Obama for issuing an executive order, for God's sake.

If the government doesn't get abolished in my lifetime, I wanna at least see a president get impeached. That would be pretty funny.

11 hours ago, daveb said:

As I said previously, impeachment is also about legality and legal processes and precedents. If a president does commit impeachable acts and Congress does not act on it they are giving tacit acceptance. And then future presidents can argue that they should be allowed to do those things, too. Quite a few Republicans who are dismissing things now were much more outspoken about things in the past (for example, during Democrat administrations).

If they don't impeach Trump, it starts to sound a lot like "The Boy Who Cried Wolf."  Added to the whole sjw movement, it paints the Democratic party in a bad light.

Back to Avalon
On 10/5/2019 at 2:53 PM, iff said:

there's this wikipedia page on efforts to impeach obama

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efforts_to_impeach_Barack_Obama

Thanks, that was interesting. Of course, it didn't mention Obama's real "crime," Presidenting While Black.

RoseGoesToYale

This ticks me right off... a selected quote from Elizabeth Warren's platform about creating American jobs:

Spoiler

Others blame “automation” for American job losses, especially in manufacturing. It’s a good story — robots and other new technologies made American manufacturing workers more productive, so companies needed to hire far fewer actual human beings. A good story, except it’s not really true. Recent research finds this story is based on a widely-held misunderstanding of the data on American manufacturing output, and a statistical quirk about how productivity is measured in our computer industry. There is actually no “evidence that productivity caused manufacturing’s relative and absolute employment decline” in America since the 1980s. Meanwhile, Germany has nearly five times as many robots per worker as we do and has not lost jobs overall as a result.

The study she cites at the end then refutes the entire paragraph (section 7, paragraph 1, emphasis mine):

Spoiler

In this paper we have studied the impact of rising robot exposure on the careers of individual manufacturing workers, and the equilibrium impact across industries and local labor markets in Germany. Unlike in the United States, we find no evidence that robots have been major job killers so far. They do no not cause overall job losses, but they do affect the composition of aggregate employment in Germany. We estimate that every robot destroys roughly two manufacturing jobs. This implies a total loss of 275,000 manufacturing jobs in the period 1994-2014, which accounts for roughly 23% of the overall decline during those two decades. But this loss was fully offset (or even slightly over-compensated) by additional jobs in the service sector.

Even if her claim was accurate, Germany is a terrible comparison. First, population-wise, Germany is much smaller than the US. Second, Germany has a far superior public education system that isn't overcrowded or underfunded, and secondary education is tuition free, making it easier for workers to acquire skills for a job change. Third, Germany doesn't have to deal with the racial/economic disparities that the US does.

Every candidate, save say Andrew Yang, who has no chance of election because his UBI plans have cast the scent of communism onto moderates and scared them off, is in deep denial about what automation is already doing to displace workers. Workers in the types of jobs being replaced in the US, low skill jobs and factory work, don't have the skills to just change to another sector, and even if they wanted to get into the service and white collar jobs, there's already not enough to go around with the glut of college degrees that's increasing. There's a growing shortage of skilled trade workers and no candidate, save say Buttigieg, seems to care. They're all still pushing college. Plus the Boomers are aging and there aren't enough people working in nursing to cope with that. It doesn't matter who gets elected, no one is prepared to deal with the crisis that's coming.

But what gets me is that the leading candidate, who sounds powerful and smart on TV, has holes in her platform, and she's a former academic.

Tyger Songbird

Tonight at 8:00 p.m. ET/ 7:00 CT  4th Democratic Debate, hosted by CNN.

Debate Stage Tonight

1. Joe Biden (Fmr. VP)

2. Elizabeth Warren (Sen-MA)

3. Bernie Sanders (Sen-VT)

4. Andrew Yang (businessman & entrepreneur)

5.  Kamala Harris (Sen-CA)

6. Pete Buttigieg (Mayor- South Bend, IN)

7. Beto O'Rourke (Fmr Rep--TX)

8. Amy Klobuchar (Sen-MN)

9. Tulsi Gabbard (Rep--HI)

10. Julian Castro (Fmr Secretary HUD)

11. Tom Steyer (billionaire hedge fund manager)

12. Cory Booker (Sen--NJ)

Who do you think will win tonight?

For me these debates aren't about which candidate/s win. It's about voters winning if we get meaningful info from the debates that helps us make informed decisions.

Tyger Songbird
Just now, daveb said:

For me these debates aren't about which candidate/s win. It's about voters winning if we get meaningful info from the debates that helps us make informed decisions.

Good point overall. I should have asked it this way: which one is your favorite candidate?

Personally I tend to concentrate on the ones I think actually have a chance of getting the nomination. I think some are too far down in the polling to have a realistic chance. Of the ones who I think do have a chance my current pick is Warren. But I'm keeping an open mind. Lots can happen, more info can change things. :) 

Tyger Songbird

I think these debates were overall terrible, really. Nothing is getting done, and I really don't like CNN doing these debates. They are a nightmare.

I have not watched a single one.  Waste of time.  I could care less what they say they will or won't do.  Very little ever comes of it.  There is one focus and one focus ONLY...getting rid of Trump.

Tyger Songbird

Quarter 3 Contributions by candiate (updated): Note this does not signify individual donors. This just means total money raised by the candidate, followed by whether it was an uptick from the Quarter 2 Fundraiser amounts for each candidate. This is to show whether a candidate is trending up or trending down. We'll discuss who's stock is up and whose stock is down. Those who are in green made bigger returns in Quarter 3 than in quarter 2, with a trend up. Those in blue are trending down. The bigger the font, the bigger the return overall. The bigger the decrease, the smaller the font--unless you're already at the bottom. So, this is the list of all the candidates reporting for quarter 3. The funds poured in often tell where donors are going, although many take corporate PAC money, so that's a technicality. Take a look at the list and you'll see where the trend is going.

1.  Bernie Sanders-- $25.3 million (⬆️ 7 million)
  2. Elizabeth Warren-- $24.6 million (⬆️ $6.2 million)
  3. Pete Buttigieg-- $19.1 million (⬇️ $6 million)
  4. Joe Biden-- $15.2 million (⬇️ $7 million)
  5. Kamala Harris-- $11.6 million (⬇️ $600,000)
  6. Andrew Yang-- $10 million (⬆️ $7.2 million)
  7. Cory Booker-- $6 million (⬆️ $1.5 million)
  8. Amy Klobuchar-- $ 4.8 million (⬆️ $1 million)
  9. Beto O'Rourke-- $4.5 million (⬆️ $900,000)
  10. Marianne Williamson-- $3.1 million (⬆️ $1.5 million)
  11. Tulsi Gabbard-- $3 million (⬆️ 1.2 million)
  12. Steve Bullock-- $2.3 million (⬆️ N.A)
  13. Michael Bennet 2.1 million (⬇️ $700,000)
  14. Tom Steyer-- $2 million
  15. John Delaney-- $500,000 (⬇️ $500,000)
  16. Tim Ryan-- $400,000 (⬇️ $100,000)
  17. Joe Sestak-- $400,000 (N.A.)

I really like watching the debates, and I like all the candidates for different reasons (even Biden, though he's one of my least favorites).  As I listen to each person I like to imagine them debating Trump, plus I like to think about where their Achilles tendons are.  What will the Republicans use against them; what unflattering or politically devastating sound bytes will go the rounds?  I know I can't begin to scratch the surface of all the ugliness that is going to be this next campaign cycle, but I like to try.

I've watched each debate with a friend who doesn't like any of the candidates, so our viewing experience is completely different.  His favorite is Klobuchar.  I have too many favorites to choose, but I thought Bernie was great last night.

Tyger Songbird
31 minutes ago, ms. mortricia said:

I've watched each debate with a friend who doesn't like any of the candidates, so our viewing experience is completely different.  His favorite is Klobuchar.  I have too many favorites to choose, but I thought Bernie was great last night.

Wow, Klobuchar is his favorite? Ok. I won't knock it. So, go for it. However, what are her overall plans that differ from status quo? It doesn't seem like anything, and her history doesn't speak to otherwise. That's my opinion. I thought Bernie and Yang were the best of the night last night, even though one of my favorite candidates was not on the stage, though she got an increase in funding with little to no airtime.

Tyger Songbird

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has come out with an endorsement for Bernie Sanders, really.

19 minutes ago, tygersongbird said:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has come out with an endorsement for Bernie Sanders, really.

Why the hell is everyone so surprised about that? T heir political and social views overlap almost 100%. Why wouldn't she endorse Bernie?

Archived