2020 U.S. Presidential Race

Tyger Songbird

Tyger Songbird

General question, who would you vote for in the 2020 presidential race? Who's your candidate? All answers are free to share.

I'm not American, but Andrew Yang seems like a very good candidate. Here he is campaigning in a math hat:

Still waiting for a nice middle of the road unifying candidate. Someone who is willing to take a careful reasoned look at issues, and then make careful calculated changes.  Unlike many people I don't think they US is in "crisis" , except for ones we are generating ourselves.  There are a number of "issues" like healthcare, wealth disparity, climate etc, that need to be addressed - but in a well thought-out reasoned fashion. 

I'm concerned that both sides want to take popular *DRAMATIC* steps rather than careful adjustments.  

If you are driving a semi down the freeway, you don't change lanes by spinning the wheel all the way in either direction. Even if you think you need to act quickly , you do so in a controlled fashion 

Probably whoever the Libertarian candidate ends up being.

Or if Bill Weld beats Trump in the primaries I would vote for him. I kind of want to temporarily register as a Republican just so I can vote for Bill Weld in the primary...

Pete Buttigieg.  He's middle-of-the-road progressive Dem.

I must say, I like Adam Kokesh’s style too.

Whoever has the best platform with the most chance. That probably means it'll be the Democrat who emerges on top, much as I'd love to be able to vote for a third party candidate and have it make any difference.

I'll probably vote in the Democratic primaries (since the chances of there being a candidate I actually like there are much greater than in the Republican primaries), and that vote will be based mainly on who looks to have the best change at tackling the largest number of important issues with greatest effectiveness. I feel that climate change is the most pressing issue there is right now, so that's the one that'll have the greatest weight, but I'll look at everything else as well. I don't really care who the person is, so long as they aren't actively awful and are able to perform their job. I care what the platform is.

Basically, it's way too early to say.

Alawyn-Aebt

Probably whoever the Democratic candidate is. Third parties never stand a chance and I have no qualms about picking the lesser of two evils if none really inspire me. Pete Buttigieg is interesting and I used to live close to South Bend Indiana so I can confirm that he did wonders for the town, whether he can do it for the nation I do not know. At times he seems to lack the concrete numbers some other Democratic candidates can pull up when discussing future policy, which is worrisome. Bernie Sanders would be interesting, but I doubt he could win. There are some other interesting ones too.

There are simply too many people to definitely narrow it down to one

On the Republican side Larry Hogan might run, according to some reports. He is the governor of Maryland, which is a solid Democratic state, but he managed to win twice and maintains good relations with both parties in Maryland. He may not be super inspiring, but if there is someone with an actual record of bipartisanship, not merely slight or outright exaggerations of it, he is the one.

If I were American...

...whoever the Democrat nominee turns out to be, unless by some catastrophic misjudgement of the DNC the nominee ended up being Tulsi Gabbard.

No clue what I'd do in that (thankfully unlikely) scenario. But even Gabbard would definitely not make me consider voting for Trump or any other Republican - not even for a nanosecond.

On 4/19/2019 at 4:04 AM, Sally said:

Pete Buttigieg.  He's middle-of-the-road progressive Dem.

Buttigieg is pretty damn fine. I'd prefer him as VP to Kamala Harris instead of as pres, but he'd be a solid choice as pres, himself, too.

1 minute ago, Mysticus Insanus said:

Buttigieg is pretty damn fine. I'd prefer him as VP to Kamala Harris instead of as pres, but he'd be a solid choice as pres, himself, too.

That would be an excellent ticket

At this point I'd vote for a chimpanzee if he were a Democrat.  

I'm not sure Biden is anything more than VP material. Whats changed since he dropped out of the 1988 Presidential race after only a month?

Is the cookie monster running?

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Is the cookie monster running?

Not after that last cookie lobby kickback scandal.

9 hours ago, Sally said:

At this point I'd vote for a chimpanzee if he were a Democrat.  

Well, we've already tried an orangutan...

4 hours ago, Nevyn said:

I'm not sure Biden is anything more than VP material. Whats changed since he dropped out of the 1988 Presidential race after only a month?

Trump got elected

I'm going to try that excuse next time I get publicly disgraced.

9 hours ago, Nevyn said:

The only thing that's changed is that he's a lot older.  

When I was younger a comedian named Pat Paulsen was always "running" for president.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no candidate but one who is actually different. Its Bernie, hands down. Warren is pretty close but I don't think she has the charisma to win a nationwide election. Most of the other Democratic candidates are enthralled by their corporate masters. 

Back to Avalon
On 4/18/2019 at 6:31 PM, -1=e^ipi said:

Andrew Yang seems like a very good candidate.

Aaaagh! The last thing we need is another businessperson with no military, political, or international experience who thinks that having money and running a company qualify him to command the military, work with Congress, negotiate with (and sometimes stand up to) world leaders, and everything else that the president does. Yang at least has a law degree, but I think it takes much more than that to be president.

Based on what I've heard so far, Jay Inslee seems to be the best option. He's the only candidate that plans on actually doing something about climate change.

5 hours ago, Back to Avalon said:

Aaaagh! The last thing we need is another businessperson with no military, political, or international experience who thinks that having money and running a company qualify him to command the military, work with Congress, negotiate with (and sometimes stand up to) world leaders, and everything else that the president does. Yang at least has a law degree, but I think it takes much more than that to be president.

You can't be serious... You are equating Yang with Trump? Really?

Oh the horror at having a person who appreciates math make decisions that involve numbers. Or have someone with an economics background make economic decisions, especially if they advocate ideas like universal basic income, which has long been advocated by economists including Milton Friedman. *sarcasm*

MoraDollie
Back to Avalon
45 minutes ago, -1=e^ipi said:

You can't be serious... You are equating Yang with Trump? Really?

Oh the horror at having a person who appreciates math make decisions that involve numbers. Or have someone with an economics background make economic decisions, especially if they advocate ideas like universal basic income, which has long been advocated by economists including Milton Friedman. *sarcasm*

I'll grant you that understanding math, economics, and law is an asset in a presidential candidate, but working on the economy and policy are only part of the job description. I know a lot of people think an outsider is going to come in and fix everything that's wrong and shake up Washington with a new perspective, but being president is an enormous job that requires a lot of knowledge that people with no political experience rarely, if ever, have. Maybe Yang will get Secretary of Labor or Commerce; it sounds like his background lines up with those positions.

Archived