Open wide for some soccer!

antheap

As a Liverpudlian born and bred and as a supporter of LFC for years and years and years, I can't agree with @Moonman . LIverpool are reducing me to tears at the moment. Entertaining they are not!

• 2 weeks later...

Eight matches, 7 wins, one draw. Life could be worse :D

• 3 weeks later...

Homertown FC keep steamrolling... won 9 and drew 1 of our last 11. I am not used to this.

Real Estate RICO

OMFG TOTTENHAM PLEASE FIRE MOURINHO SO THE DREAM CHAOS SCENARIO CAN HAPPEN

Spoiler

JOSE MOURINHO - USMNT

LET'S FUCKING GO

I WANNA SEE HEADS EXPLODE

First home game with spectators being allowed in the stands. It was a test with 777 folks on the terraces and I'm curious as to what the data show. Also, we won :D and it seems like the world was looking at Homertown today.

• 4 weeks later...

Man, we'll all go bananas once we're back in the stands.

SpaceDustbin
On 3/15/2021 at 9:11 PM, Homer said:

Homertown FC keep steamrolling... won 9 and drew 1 of our last 11. I am not used to this.

Hot damn. You're sure there's no switcheroo going on? :lol:

My team is not on that much of a roll, but they're still (barely, but who's counting) in the top half of the ranking, so I'm happy, haha

Arsenal :D

Real Estate RICO

Lost in the Super League #packwatch:

On 3/18/2021 at 4:39 PM, ManicPixieDreamFreeAgent said:

OMFG TOTTENHAM PLEASE FIRE MOURINHO SO THE DREAM CHAOS SCENARIO CAN HAPPEN

Reveal hidden contents

JOSE MOURINHO - USMNT

LET'S FUCKING GO

I WANNA SEE HEADS EXPLODE

HERE WE FUCKING GO

@Homer

What do you think of 1.FC Union Berlin? I just watched a documentary about them, and damn, do they have a passionate fanbase!

On 4/21/2021 at 8:05 PM, Piotrek said:

@Homer

What do you think of 1.FC Union Berlin? I just watched a documentary about them, and damn, do they have a passionate fanbase!

They do have a passionate fanbase!

Back in GDR times, Union was the antagonist of Dynamo Berlin. Dynamo was the most successful club, protected by the gouvernment and the FA and the best players of the country were made to join them. OTOH Union was the "people's club" - not particularly successful, but loved. They're really, really deeply rooted in their quarter.

I think I know which documentation you refer to :D and it's worth mentioning that the participation of the fans when it came to building a new ground was kind of a GDR spinoff. The ground of Homertown FC was also partially built with the fans helping, but rumour has it that it wasn't as voluntary back then 🙃

I like the way the club is run nowadays - they're financially responsible (which, er, wasn't always the case) and the board and the fanbase are close. Their renovated ground is decent and still recognisable as theirs. However I don't like how they're a fairly political group. Also, them having been promoted has attracted a bunch of questionable yuppie folks even their long-term fans aren't super happy with. On the other hand stuff like that is tough to avoid.

Let's say that I used to like them a bit, but I don't like the way they seem to be heading. Nobody on this planet needs a second FC St. Pauli (and nobody needs the first one either 🤮 ).

• Like 1

For the record, that's the documentary I mentioned.

Spoiler

That's the second time in the recent weeks that I've heard the name FC Sankt Pauli in a negative context. Can you elaborate?

By the way, why do so many clubs from German-speaking countries have "1" in front of their name? Is it to distinguish them from reserve teams?

@Homer

Homertown FC's tactical approach now has shifted to basically fielding eleven Scott Sterlings. Our performance today was ridiculous.

On 4/23/2021 at 10:51 AM, Piotrek said:

That's the second time in the recent weeks that I've heard the name FC Sankt Pauli in a negative context. Can you elaborate?

By the way, why do so many clubs from German-speaking countries have "1" in front of their name? Is it to distinguish them from reserve teams?

@Homer

I'd also be interested in hearing that. I know St Pauli are very leftist, but Union has those roots, too, no?  I get the impression St Pauli has a big hipster following and maybe Union is more rooted in the working class? 

On 4/23/2021 at 4:51 PM, Piotrek said:

For the record, that's the documentary I mentioned.

Yeah, exactly :)

Semantics: That's not just a "1", it's a "1.". So they're the "first football club [of Town]". The reserves used to be indicated with "(A)" for "amateurs", but it was changed to "II" (the roman numeral) a few years back. If a team has got several reserve teams further down the league systen, they get numbered III, IV and so on.

That's because they suck a pair of giant hairy donkey testicles :D 

Okay, that probably wasn't too much of an elaboration. Buckle up, this may get long.

Homertown FC and the club you mention have shared a long-standing rivalry. Back in the 70s and 80s, the St. Pauli supporters base gradually shifted from being fairly unremarkable to being oriented well to the left (actual left, not USA left). I read that this happened in part because of "leftovers" from the 1968 movement. After the GDR was taken ov... er, reunified with West Germany, Homertown state (and large parts of the former GDR) had huge problems with far right folks who were, say, venting their frustration. Homertown itself became famous across the world for all the wrong reasons, when an apartment complex inhabited by foreigners was attacked by Nazis in 1992. The "sunflower house" became known across the nation overnight.

Now the St Pauli supporters took it upon themselves to state how disgusted they are about this and how bad we are and how they feel that they need to do something against it. Basically SJWism without the keyboards. Then we played them in 1995 (my 2nd Bundesliga match I ever attended :D). One of our supporters tossed a smoke bomb onto the running track which would probably just have burned out, but our dumbarse security team decided to try to extinguish it. In German we have an expression, "verschlimmbessern", which would literally translate to "malimprovement" - you basically try to improve a situation, but end up making it worse. So that's what happened, the smoke increased heavily, play was suspended for a while. We won 2-0, which they protested. The result was allowed to stand, but we were fined ~5000€ and had to play our next home game at least 200km away from home. (We ended up going to B****n's Olympic Stadium, 58,000 spectators, huge success :lol:). And so the narrative was born, things kept happening on and off the pitch, their chairman started to refuse to give us a ticket allocation when we played there... all the good stuff. There's loads more, but you get the idea. So that's the bit that relates to Homertown FC directly.

However even if you disregard that completely, they're still trash :D 

As a proper "left" fanbase, you have to be "against the establishment", right? So that's how they acted for decades. When, say, Bayern Munich played there, St. Pauli supporters would throw coins at Bayern's manager in disgust, because Bayern were rich and they were not. Yet guess who readily came to play a benefit match when St. Pauli was in deep financial trouble. And guess which "ultra" fanbase St. Pauli's "ultra" fanbase have officially become "friends" with since then.

As a proper "left" fanbase, you have to be against gouvernment institutions, right? You know, ACAB and all that. Guess what one of their own club icons did professionally before he played for them :lol: 

As a proper "left" club, you support freedom of expression and all that, right? You accept people with different POVs because we're all just humans? Guess which club fired their Turkish striker for publicly supporting Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Now I could break AVEN's server just listing all the ridiculous and hypocritical things this club and their fanbase have done over the years. The last episode happened just before the most recent Hamburg derby match. You all know that meme template "What my parents think I do / What my teacher thinks I do / What my friends think I do / what I really do", right? The club took that template and made a semi-funny cartoon out of it, in preparation for the upcoming match. Their snowflake base was outraged, OUTRAGED I tell you, because the comic strip wasn't "diverse" enough. Not only that, but since the club is oh so woke, they fucking backtracked and apologised for a fucking harmless comic strip.

I don't hate them. That's like hating a blind eight-year-old with one arm, in a wheelchair. They're just ridiculous holier-than-thou SJW snowflakes who have become exactly what they claim to despise - a brand and as such, a part of the establishment. Heck, I have a coworker who hates me just for supporting my club :lol: we have never really spoken to each other, but ever since he found out that I support Homertown FC, he makes sure to look at me with disgust. How insecure can you get?

So yeah, fuck them... but first, point and laugh at them. Bunch of hypocritical lowlifes. I'm surprised that they haven't started a petition demanding to rename the position of "offensive midfielder" yet.

I so hope that Union Berlin doesn't go too far down that road.

• Like 1
On 2/28/2021 at 3:26 PM, Moonman said:

I've seen people on /r/soccer speculate about how they'll do in the 2. Bundesliga, but the way things are going they won't have much of an infrastructure in place to even compete in that division will they? 

Well their ground is theirs; my hazard guess is that the same applies to the club facilities and training pitches.

@Homer

Thanks for that info re: St. Pauli. I guess that explains this thumbnail :D (even though the video isn't explicitly about SP)

^ :D shared this with the folks in our forum :D 

On 4/25/2021 at 6:26 PM, ben8884 said:

what do you all think of this Super League thing?

I have been a football maniac for 25 years and counting. The proposal of such a league has been around for as long as I can remember. To me it used to be a "scary" idea back then, something that I didn't want to happen. However, that was a time where we used to have an actually competitive league that was interesting to watch. By now they've blown up the "Champions League", there's a "Europa League" which isn't really interesting and now they've pulled the "Conference League" out of their arses. Two or three more rounds of reforms and changes and the differences to a "Super League" will be marginal anyway. They've already shown that they don't give a shit about the fans time and time again.

I used to be against it, but now I say let them have it. It's not that I care about such a tournament anyway and if they really don't take part in the national championships anymore, it might give other teams some room to breathe. I'll stick to my lower tier clubs and those from smaller leagues :D 

Still no clue why they included Arsenal in this though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Homer said:

I have been a football maniac for 25 years and counting. The proposal of such a league has been around for as long as I can remember.

I have this football reference book from the early-to-mid 1990's where the author clearly warns of such a prospect when talking about the then-newly-expanded Champions League. 

The difference between us is that I'm actually curious to see the Conference League unfold (although what kind of silly name is that?) because maybe then Polish clubs will be able to reach further stages of the competition :P 

eacr49em.png

Homertown FC v FC Ingolstadt - shit's about to go down! Tomorrow at 7pm CEST :D 

On 5/3/2021 at 9:47 AM, Homer said:

eacr49em.png

Homertown FC v FC Ingolstadt - shit's about to go down! Tomorrow at 7pm CEST :D 

As for the Saabruecken, see this recent video about their illustrious past (the video starts with discussing the Saarland history and the national team) :