Open wide for some soccer!

antheap

The English Premier League is a multi-billion pound business, so everything has to cost lots to fund it, whether talking about ticket prices, TV and advertising revenues, wages, whatever. 50 000+ capacity all-seated stadia aren't cheap either. 

West Ham United have had a lot of trouble with violence at games the last couple of years, so they are stricter than most clubs when screening fans. 

Upton Park was way more relaxed than that. Geez. Oh and I done a dumb, it was only £57 :D

Didn't really pass the test, but I told her that I first came to Upton Park in 2001 and that Paulo di Canio was the king back then :D repeated a couple of times until she got fed up. Was a super close call though.

Well there's a reason the Championship playoff final is called "the most valuable game in the world" (or something like that).

Today I watched a County Cup match between Morecambe and Wigan, attendance around 30 folk :D nobody seems to give a damn about these cups... in Germany they're at least worth something, as the winner secures a spot in the first round of the German Cup. Oh and Lancashire might just become my favourite area of England and I don't care if that sounds weird :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Homer said:

Oh and Lancashire might just become my favourite area of England and I don't care if that sounds weird :D

Doesn't sound weird to me - but then, I've always thought of myself as coming from Lancashire. Liverpool, to be exact, but when I was little, LIverpool was in Lancashire. (But then, so was Manchester...)  We're going to win the league. Certain! 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's a rumour going around that the German FA will terminate the season. Since we don't have any rule in place that covers terminating a season, we'll just take the standings as they are and promote the teams sitting on the promotion berths. OTOH relegation won't go ahead, so we'll have 22 teams in the top flight and 2nd division. As a country which caused a WW, how do we not have a rule regarding the termination of a season.

Homertown FC are currently three points behind a promotion berth in Div 3. In not so related news, our first home game ended 3:3 after we lead 3:0. In other unrelated news, we lost at the team ranked 20th, who hadn't won a match prior to our visit.

Would I be mad if this came true? Maybe.

Also no idea how my club is going to survive until August with no ticket sales or anything. We're royally fucked.

• Like 2

They're currently looking at postponing Euro2020 until next year, then extending the league season. 

• Like 2

There'll be riots in Scouseland if Liverpool don't win the Premiership. 

• Like 1

OASIS!

At the end of the day, if push comes to shove, FIFA has no chance but to accomodate the situation. I don't think it's going to be as bad as many seem to fear. Yet if we have to cancel tournaments, so be it. People gotta be reasonable for once.

I'll just binge watch Homertown FC supporters doing their thing on YT

This is as much of football as we're going to see for the rest of the season:

• Like 1

So since games are off for the foreseeable future, not many monies coming in for Homertown FC. One of the largest fan associations proposed an "online fanshop raid" and the number of available items went down from 11,300+ to ~5,600 in one day :D we got this.

1 hour ago, alexsandro22 said:

Well done. Euro2020 has been moved to 2021... I am so sad

For me it's probably the one good thing... leaves me with a chance to make it if Iceland qualify :D

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Bundesliga resumed the 2019-20 season. Behind the closed doors, I presume.

Skycaptain

@Piotrek, yes it was behind closed doors.

Attempts to restart the premiership have encountered a snag. Initial testing of players before resuming training has resulted in a few positive C-19 tests. 

• 4 weeks later...

Other than that, Homertown FC have crushed it recently. We're dangerously close to the promotion berths, but so is literally half the division. No sense is being made. Example: The bottom team lost six of their last eight and drew the other two, both away at the teams ranked #1 and #7. Oh and we're playing them next. 

Our season restarts on Wednesday, yays 

Real Estate RICO

Bolton Wanderers are officially going to League Two. Surely it can't get any worse.. right?

(side note: if you're wondering how someone from North Carolina became a Bolton supporter, I can sum it up easily: the Big Sam Era.)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ManicPixieDreamFreeAgent said:

(side note: if you're wondering how someone from North Carolina became a Bolton supporter

LOL whenever I tell anyone that I completely fell for Fleetwood Town, the instant reaction is WTF. Oh and Tranmere Rovers ❤️ 

I miss being out and about, obviously, but other than that, I enjoy watching the matches a lot more than I thought I would.

If VAR could die a quick death, that'd be great.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Moonman said:

I watched all of the Watford v Leicester game, the first 88 minutes were not very good at all but that last 5 minutes were great. :D 

The one of 2013 or so? With the penalty double save and the counter attack goal?

@Homer, this was the game on Saturday 

Not sure what's there to feel sorry for. He should have been booked for diving instead of being awarded a penalty. Glad Almunia saved it... the rest is just what football does sometimes :D 

Promotion playoff goalkeeping blunder :lol:  That's when you grow up watching too much Premier League :P 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Promotion playoff goalkeeping blunder :lol:  That's when you grow up watching too much Premier League :P 

I'm a Southampton fan, our keeper gifted Arsenal a goal yesterday 

ilz527ey.png

This is what the top of the table looks like in Homertown FC's division with one match left to play. Disregard Bayern's reserves, they're not eligible for promotion. So right now #2 and #3 would be promoted directly while #4 goes into a two-legged playoff with #16 from div 2 (1. FC Nuremberg).

Our division makes zero sense.

Bonus: We drew the very first match of the season 3-3 after being up 3-0, also lost 1-3 at the team that sits dead last. The things that could have been...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

As a Southampton fan, I think we should play all our home matches behind closed doors next year - it seems to have improved our form 😋😋

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Moonman said:

What happened to 1860 Munchen? I seem to recall that they were a firmly established Bundesliga club for a number of years. Did they get relegated in the mid 2000's and just never bounce back?

Oh boy, where do I even start :blush:

You know the stadium Bayern Munich plays in, the "Allianz Arena"? Football fans commonly refer to it as "dinghy" for obvious reasons :D it cost €400m to build and the bill was split between Bayern and 1860. Now Bayern found those 200m between the cushions on their couch, but 1860... not so much. Bonus: Their fans hated this new stadium. They're very attached to their Grünwalder Straße stadium, which is (a) right in the centre of their hood and (b) in desperate need of a major overhaul. So things got a bit tense financially, Bayern even bought an additional share of 1860's Allianz Arena tab to help them out.

Enter the scene: Some Arab oil dude with a shitload of money looking for a place to save taxes or something. 1860 played in Div 3 back then. Now you might have heard of something we call the 50+1 rule over here. It means that clubs have to hold at least 50% +1 of their shares, so money sharks can't take over an entire club. Said Arab oil dude figured that once 1860 would be relegated to level 4, the 50+1 rule wouldn't apply anymore and he could take over completely. Turns out that he was wrong :D

Upside of their relegation to level 4 was that they could move back to their Grünwalder stadium. It has since been polished up a bit to stage level 3 matches, but... the overall situation is just incredibly sad.They went from a very distinguishable club with a charismatic chairman and a similarly unique manager, playing in an old-fashioned ground right in the heart of their quarter to being a club that totally depends on some oil clown and playing in hugely over-dimensioned grounds that their fans despise. Imagine Bury played their matches at Old Trafford... yeah. If you had asked people in 1995 "Think of 1860 Munich... what's the first three things that come to your mind?" folks would have said "Their chairman... their manager... oh and their ground!" And now it would be "That oil dude who switches managers more often than his underwear and... oh boy."

So the ideal solution would be to get rid of oil dude and refurbish their Grünwalder stadium, but that's about as realistic as Rushden & Diamonds winning the Premiership.

:(

And Wycombe being promoted at least provides a bit of comfort - my beloved Fleetwood crashed out of the playoffs against the eventual winners. (Seriously, they crumbled like a stale cookie in the first leg, including some trademark British goalkeeping). I'm not mad though, didn't think they'd make it into the playoffs to begin with. A remarkable season :)

Edit: 1860's former chairman was famous for smoking cigars during matches. One day his doc said dude, you need to cut down on those cigars, how about you switch to cigarettes for a start. So he tried to do that and ended up inhaling an entire pack of cigarettes during the first half of the next match :lol:

13 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

As a Southampton fan, I think we should play all our home matches behind closed doors next year - it seems to have improved our form 😋😋

That reminds of that one home game that Legia Warsaw played behind closed doors against Real Madrid in the Champions League. You'd think "such an opportunity wasted! how many tickets could have been sold if it hadn't been for some disciplinary matters... and what a drubbing would that have been!". Well, guess what... the game ended in a draw, 3:3, with Real scoring an equaliser towards the end of the game. 

• Like 1
Siimo van der fietspad

Southampton have been very impressive since the restart, especially given how bad things were at the end of last year. I actually now get as excited watching the televised games as I would be at St Marys.

• Like 1