Is this sketchy? [advice please]

skymessenger

skymessenger

I need a little outside opinion and advice

I've been casually looking at jobs and submitted a few resumes/applications to places.  A month ago, a place contacted me.  However I don't remember applying for them or a position like them.  It sounds like something I'd go for but I feel like I didn't apply to it (I applied for editorial work, this was a counselling job)  I tried looking up their company but it took awhile to find and it didn't provide much information on who they are.  They exist on job-hunt sites with very little info.  Only glassdoor review was a medium with not much detail either. 
They called a couple times during the week and it was always during my tutoring sessions with children.  I'd tell them when they can call or that we could email to figure out how to continue the conversation further.  However they  never call back when they say they would and interrupt at the same times again.  It was quiet for another 2 weeks and I assumed they gave up on me.  This week they called two more times before I picked up the call during my break.  While the lady seemed nice, my gut feeling was...off.  I have anxiety and sometimes chalk it to that but I couldn't get over this uneasiness.  Lady set up an appointment and sent a confirmation email (of course now they use email when I offered before)  She said she needed a meeting with me as soon as possible in order to fill the position by Saturday (talking as if I got the job when she barely knows me?)
I did more digging.  Again, not much info.  And the interview is in a building on the far side of the city which is a pain to commute and location seems...off?  Like very out of the way from other buildings.
After an issue came up, I emailed them saying I couldn't make the interview and I understood if they passed me over as they wanted someone to fill their position asap.  They sent back an email right away, scheduling me for the following day in an interview.  

I'm not sure what to make of this.  I'm not in dire need of employment (I have 2 jobs, just looking for whats out there).  Part of me thinks if they're real and I blow them off, I burn bridges or miss out on a potential opportunity.  But I also worry with lack of information, remote location and how insistent they are in trying to meet me, there's something going on.  Doesn't help that my part-time boss half joked that it could be a ruse for sex-trafficking.  

Should I email and turn them down?  Is there a way to do it without being rude or making them seem like bad people (I can't just say "I'm suspicious of you and worry about my safety")?
Or am I overreacting?  

It definitely sounds sketchy to me. I'd turn them down. It's better to be on the safe side, especially when you are seeing continual red flags.

You can always just email them saying you received a position at a different company, or something of the sort.

If you do still decide you want the job then absolutely don't go without bringing someone else with you.

kumiko_itoe

They are super desperate for someone to fill the role without looking at the individual's preference and so on. Do research their company a little more before you decide

The Smiling Alice Cat

I think you should turn them down. It's good to listen to your gut in this situation. Doesn't help that some of the things they do and lack of information seems fishy.

Just tell them you can't accept the job due to being hired by a different company.

Sexual Ally

Everything sounds off, so it probably is.  I say you don't even owe them an explanation; it's doubtful they are legit, so how you treat them holds no future consequences for you.  When dealing with sketchy, you don't owe an explanation.  Simply avoid further contact. 

Sorry but this sounds very sketchy to me. They seemed to want you to start the job right away, no interview or anything else. I don't think any proper company does things like that. Secondly, they kept calling you during your tutoring sessions even though you told them not to and they schedulled you for an interview the next day even though you told them they can pass you over. I don't think they have other applicants for this job and they seem very desperate. The remote location bothers me as well. I think you should turn them down. Or at least do a lot more research into them, try to find out more about them, but they definitely sound sketchy and it's more important for you to be safe after all. 

Very sketchy. 

Shouldn't be this complicated to get a job. You're offering them your services. Their job is to facilitate this process, even for just an interview. 

Any legit company, will be open about the role, location and about the company. Any questions when I call a candidate for an interview, is answered.

Our address, a bit about us, and starting salary. Whatever. No question about the business is off limits.

I even mention the salary range if desired based on their experience.

Let's not waste each other's time, basically. I want people happy to work for me just as its important I get along with them. You're stuck with them all day, afterall. 

If you don't like your potential bosses vibe. Ruuuuuuun. Again. You're stuck with them all day. It should feel right for both parties. 

Every single vague interview I have gone to, was for appointment sales. Or door to door commission based sales which bordered on fraud for some companies. Bullshit "jobs".

Highly doubt there is an actual danger, but am certain the company isn't legit or the role isn't a good one. 

Listen to your gut, already!

Anthracite_Impreza

Definitely dodge, avoid it.

• 2 weeks later...
chairdesklamp

Yeah, I'm college-educated with several years' experience in social work, and I can't get anything beyond jobs they usually hire teens for. 

No one is this anxious to get a specific person. They'd rather filter out people based on non-white-sounding names or font choice than try to get anyone.

This sounds really skeevy. You don't owe them jack. Block them and forget them. 

This sounds like it could actually be dangerous.  Don't go there, either rhetorically or geographically.  

Archived