Wake up routine

RoseGoesToYale

Wake up routine  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What gets you up in the morning (or evening or whenever)?

• Nothing, I just naturally get up on time
    • Alarm clock
    • Sun coming through the window
    • Noise from the rest of the building/household
    • Someone shaking me awake
    • Wait, I got up today??
    • Other
  2. 2. What's your reaction to waking up?

• Woohoo! Let's get this day started!
    • Meh, ok
    • Food! Where's the food??
    • Noooo! Don't make me get up! It's so cozy and peaceful here.
    • Again, no recollection of waking up...
  3. 3. Brushing teeth: before breakfast or after breakfast?

• Before
    • After
  4. 4. Do you read the news after you get up?

• Yes
    • Sometimes, or only on certain days
    • No
    • I have no idea
  5. 5. Which best describes you?

• Early bird
    • Midday kind of person
    • Night owl

This poll is closed to new votes

RoseGoesToYale

Was curious how others here start the day. Also, the question about tooth brushing... I know quite a few people who say you should brush your teeth right after you get up but before breakfast. This has never made sense to me, because you eat and food gets stuck anyway and then don't you have to brush/floss your teeth all over again? Why not eat and then brush to save water?

AmorphousBlob
11 minutes ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

Was curious how others here start the day. Also, the question about tooth brushing... I know quite a few people who say you should brush your teeth right after you get up but before breakfast. This has never made sense to me, because you eat and food gets stuck anyway and then don't you have to brush/floss your teeth all over again? Why not eat and then brush to save water?

Exactly! That's how I feel. Besides, strong toothpaste makes food taste terrible.

I didn't even have to think about the last question. 🌛

AmorphousBlob
1 minute ago, Jade Cross said:

The bacteria that accumulates as you sleep would be ingested when you eat first, then brush your mouth. Plus I dont know but eating while having a dry mouth isnt too appealing to me.

Huh. But people swallow their saliva a few times an hour while they sleep, so wouldn't the bacteria already be ingested anyways? Besides, I always eat cereal, so my mouth isn't dry :P

Coming to consciousness is a rough process, made rougher by the fact that I don't drink coffee or tea of any sort. It's more just I wake up when I wake up, I take my meds and have to wait half an hour before I can eat anything because one med's gotta be empty stomach for 30 minutes, and in the meantime I'm just a mostly-unaware zombie person.

That half hour is the longest half hour of my life, every single day.

I wake up, alert and ready, at 5 to 6. This time of the year it's a bit extra nice because it's quiet but sunny outside and I can hear birds. Sometimes I put an alarm clock but I tend to wake up before it rings (unless I put it before 5), not sure why I do it, but I think it's because I'm paranoid about oversleeping when I have to go to work.

I'm definitely a morning person, I don't read the news on any scheduled time, and I wash my teeth after breakfast.

I brush my teeth before going to bed so brushing them straight away when getting up seems pointless to me.

My reaction when getting up is "what day of the week is this?" And usually my first guess is wrong.

I use the alarm on my phone to wake up, although some bad dreams can do that.

Custard Cream

I've wrestled with the 'when to brush my teeth' thing too!

These days, starting work at 8am means I simply don't have the time or inclination to eat before work, so I brush first thing and eat much later.

Anthracite_Impreza

Fucking mornings. Ban them I say.

Man, there sure appear to be a lot of night owls here! :D 

I remember being one of those. Good times. Now I sleep more like a normal person (well, sort of...), I'm afraid to admit, and have since become a morning person, but through no choice of my own! 😫

As for brushing teeth before or after breakfast, I've never understood brushing them before you eat. I always drink water as soon as I wake up, so my mouth isn't dry at all. And brushing one's teeth before eating and drinking just makes the food and drink taste disgusting! 🤢

12 hours ago, Marian the Herbalist said:

Sometimes I put an alarm clock but I tend to wake up before it rings (unless I put it before 5), not sure why I do it, but I think it's because I'm paranoid about oversleeping when I have to go to work.

I do that all the time too. I always set up a alarm clock in the evening, but I also always wake up before the alarm starts ringing n the morning. So I don't need a alarm clock technically, but I still want to make sure that I don't oversleep.

Ironically this leads sometimes to oversleeping. If I had put the alarm clock at 6 and if woke up at 4 I often switch the alarm clock off. Then I fall asleep again.

Usually awake well before my alarm - aided and abetted by a pair of alarm cats

Reaction - check time, see that it's not their breakfast time and point this out. 

Teeth - before going to bed, breakfast is after being at work for two hours 

News - nope. I'll get the radio news in the car 

Usually awake at 0530 or earlier , bed 0000 or later 

I put night owl, but I'm just as fine getting up early as I am going to bed late (although not both at the same time). I usually adjust fine to any waking/sleeping time. I had various schedules over the course of my working life, and rarely needed to use an alarm clock. In any case I usually just get up and get my day started (without needing caffeination), but not without food.

* Wake up most mornings from the wails of a tortured bladder and/or the fifth call of the civil defence siren called Alarm clock.

* Curse the existence of mornings.

* Wait 15minutes for muscles to acknowledge the fact that it’s morning and they now have to move.

* Wrestle with cuddly dog to get out from underneath cover.

* Literally Roll Drop and Crawl out of bed ‘cuz muscles may be awake but they have yet to figure out how they function.

* Locate socks. Pick socks up with foot. Spend 2+ minutes doing advanced mathematics to figure out the intricate workings of said socks and how to put them on.

* Locate warm, fluffy shirt. Same procedure as socks.

* Locate pants. Same procedure as last.   

* Zombie b line to the bathroom.

* Let dog out.

* Rinse mouth with water.

* Drink glass of lemon water.

* Breakfast. With phone, check Facebook, Reddit, AVEN, email, news. Scroll aimlessly without really seeing anything.

* Feed pets.

* Curse mornings.

* Change clothes.

* Brush teeth.

* Go.

* Wake up for real around 2PM if you’re lucky.

- The Chronic Night Owl's morning manual

I have the worst morning routine, I need to do something about it (but that's for an other time). here is a step by step guide of my mornings;

I wake up at my alarm

take a shit wile checking my phone

see I'm to late

hurry to get dressed

grab my bag with food for work

go to work

be really relived that I'm just in time (If I'm not 5 minutes late like most of the time)

SpaceDustbin
On 4/18/2019 at 4:25 AM, RoseGoesToYale said:

I know quite a few people who say you should brush your teeth right after you get up but before breakfast. This has never made sense to me, because you eat and food gets stuck anyway and then don't you have to brush/floss your teeth all over again?

From what I've read, the problem with brushing straight after breakfast is that enzymes (sp.) start working in relation to food digestion etc., and because of that you can brush away any  protective layers on your teeth, especially if you just drank orange juice or something, so before is better, though you could floss/rinse after.

I usually brush before breakfast, but that's mainly because I don't have time after ;)

--

My usual routine:

Wake up from my alarm, snooze for another 20 minutes, get up, put bread in the toaster, wash/dress, brush teeth, grab bag and toast - and rush out of the door to catch the bus

I only like the look of the sun in the mornings; I'm just not a fan of daylight in general. When it lasts into the evening I pull the curtains and hit the lights. Right now there's a nice thick fog, or "ground clouds" as some truckers call it.

Normally I just wake up, though I always set an alarm just in case. Everyone thinks I'm nuts because I consider waking up at 8.30 a serious sleep in... I have friends who can sleep in until midday. 

Alawyn-Aebt

My alarm is actually quite funny. It blares like a fire alarm and gives me a heart attack, however, because is so terrifies me my body naturally wakes up 3 minutes before it is set to go off. So I do use an alarm, but I almost always wake up naturally just a few minutes before so as not to be freaked out when I awake with its blare.

After I wake up I read for a few minutes, then I have no set schedule, depending on the day.

Typically my alarm would have to wake me but sometimes after I'm on a fairly consistent schedule then I'll wake up naturally anywhere from 3 minutes to 1.5 hours before my alarm despite when I went to sleep (and no we are not usually happy about this). I never want to get up and leave my bed.

Teeth = before. I've never been much of a breakfast person and even when I do eat breakfast there's never a guarantee I'll have time for it unless I brush my teeth first (I don't wake up early enough to plan for breakfast at home).  It didn't make sense to me for a long time about brushing them before though, but I read the enzyme/eroding enamel if you brush after eating so that works for me.

I check traffic and weather in the morning but never the news, and I'm definitely a night owl most of the time.

Member131995

Waking up" To clarify, I wake up differently depending on whether I have work. If I don't have to work the next day or have no appointments to go to, I let the sun wake me or my cats will do a good, dependable job😂

Reaction: I hate waking up, reaction is usually anger, especially if woken by someone or the cats, innocuous anger, but irritability nonetheless.

Teeth: I have to be honest, I don't brush my teeth all that often, I wish I had the discipline to. I try but it's a struggle.

News: I never read the paper, or the news online. If I get any news I listen to NPR or Stitcher. Rarely though. If I listen to anything, I jam to my favorite tunes, listen to creepypasta on Youtube or listen to interesting podcasts.

I'm a night owl and an early bird. Don't ask how or why. I love being up early, especially if I'm working. I also love and can't resist being up late. I tend to not need more than 4 hours to function for a day.

1. I just naturally get up at whatever time I want, since I don't have school/work. Sometimes I'm awoken by my Fitbit vibrating to tell me to take steps.

2. Meh, ok 

3. After

4. No

5. Midday, I don't like getting up early but I also don't like staying up late.

Most of the time, I wake up to my phone's alarm. I have it on vibrate so it doesn't bother anyone. I also put it inside my pillow case the night before. Usually it starts vibrating right next to my head, startling me awake. Sometimes just the act of finding my phone in the pillow case fully wakes me up. When I don't set an alarm, either I wake up on my own (a little later than I'd like) or one of the cats will wake me. My first reaction is usually: where are the cats? Food's a big one, too. For brushing teeth: after breakfast. It doesn't seem right before. The only 'news' I might look at is my notifications on my phone. Sometimes I might watch a little of the news on TV while I have breakfast. It's usually good for background noise then. Definitely a night owl. 

TheCatBehind

5. Constantly unenergetic pigeon

kiaroskuro

If I waited for the sun coming through my window, I would never wake up 😂

Tinycheetah132

I wake up pretty late usually so i wake pretty naturally, but i have a clock set should i not. I usually wake up ahead of the alarm and try to get back to sleep as i really....really prefer the land of dreams haha

I always have a hard time getting up in the mornings because I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep unless I am absolutely exhausted. 

I get woken up by my alarm somewhere between 11:00 AM and 12:30 PM, depending on how much I need to get done and how well I'm doing at actually going to bed by 2:00 AM. This takes somewhere between five minutes and forty minutes; my alarm is very loud, but even so, I've slept all the way through it once in my life.

After I wake up I spend some time petting the cat, because one of my cats is almost always curled up on my bed when I wake up. This can take anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour, but usually more like eight or ten minutes. Sometime during this part of the routine I turn off the alarm and the surf sound generator.

Then when I'm finally fully awake and everything, I get dressed, do the indoor daily chores (if I have to mow the lawn or rake leaves or shovel snow, that waits until later in the day), grab some manner of quick breakfast, and start working on whatever I'm set to work on that day (cereal if I'm inking or otherwise working in the studio, something more like a bagel if I'm working at my computer). I brush my teeth after eating every meal, and I've never seen the point to brushing them when I wake up.

I'm definitely a night owl. I like being up at night, I hate being up in the morning.

When I'm somewhere that's not home, such as a friend or relative's home or in a hotel, I often end up waking up between 8:00 AM and 9:30 AM, because the sun will eventually wake me up if it actually gets in - which is why I keep my room closed off from the sun with dark curtains. Other than that, though, I have a lot more trouble getting to sleep than waking up.

The years I was working and having to be at the office at a certain time, it made me so stupidly angry that I was always late to work.  I am a natural nightowl so now that I don't work anymore, I stay up until about 3 AM and get up when I want to.  If I have to get up early for a meeting or something, I still stay up late and just doze through the next day.  I have no use for mornings.

Archived