What You Wanted To Do As A Kid

CajunAce

What kind of job did you want as a kid? firefighter? doctor? chicken wrangler? Etc?

I've always been interested in many things, so there's many different jobs I wanted to do as a kid. Like vet, astronaut, paleontologist, voice actor, zoo keeper, and horse whisperer.

NickyTannock

I wanted to be a Computer Scientist.

Anthracite_Impreza

Train driver, 20 years on finally getting round to that xD

Animator. Actually went to art school for two years, too. Art school literally gave me gray hair, though, so i dropped out my junior year. Still figuring out what I want to do now. 

Custard Cream

trapeze artist, apparently.  Changed my mind somewhere along the line...

Working on a farm so I could drive a tractor. That was the only reason.  But that changed later.

Captain_Tass

Hmm... Let's see...

Vet, castaway and dog were my top three. I'm aware that the last two aren't careers and specifically that the last one is impossible, but little me wasn't so I think we should just cut them some slack. Artist was high up on the list as well. Biologist too, which is the actual career path I'll most likely follow. So yeah, that's about all for me!

One of my friends told me that when she was little she had wanted to be a gravedigger for about a week but then moved on to other career prospects and then just sort of forgot about the future altogether. I also distinctively remember that one of my classmates in preschool wanted to be a paleontologist so bad that he had memorised every piece of information that was even slightly related to dinosaurs and he could talk about them for hours on end. I wonder what he's been up to these days.

A vet, entomologist, marine biologist, among others.

Then I found out that dreams we have as children are nothing but false hopes that rarely if ever come true.

A more recent interest ive had was autopsy assistant since I like cutting things open (like dissection) and anatomy. Plus I just like blood.... And corpses... I sound like a creep but apparently some people just like that stuff so don't judge! Someone's gotta carve bodies open to see how they died. Lol

Though I've never actually been around cadavers before I've just watched movies about autopsy and such so I may react differently to them IRL 😓

36 minutes ago, Life Of Tass said:

Vet, castaway and dog were my top three.

🤣 Sometimes I still wish that I was a dog. 24/7 love and care. Plus no responsibilities....

1 hour ago, CustardCream said:

trapeze artist, apparently.  Changed my mind somewhere along the line...

I wanted to be in a circus after seeing "The Greatest Show On Earth" as a kid. But not on a trapeze after falling in love with the character Dick Grayson...

maybe an elephant wrangler.

RoseGoesToYale

I briefly really wanted to be a firefighter when I was 4. I dreamed of wearing the suit, operating the hose, using the ladder, the whole nine yards. I checked out firefighting tapes from the library like crazy. But then my mother crushed my dream, saying I couldn't firefight because I was a female and would die, and I coincidentally never had any career aspirations since.

Captain Jay

I've thought about being a video game developer, cartoonist, writer (possibly of non-fiction), or some combination thereof.

I'm not sure if these are pie-in-the-sky compared to typical childhood dreams, though it probably depends on what you want to make. In the end, though, I could easily argue that I want to do these things because I have a lot of ideas that refuse to leave my head.

(Maybe teaming up with the right people would help... but I'm not great with introductions.)

I wanted to be a teacher for the most part, of course as I got older I realized I would probably suck at that. I went through phases of wanting to have certain other jobs too, for example I wanted to be a lifeguard when I was like 5 since we went to the beach a lot, wanted to be a nun when I was around 12 and religious, then a dentist, and when I around 13 my shy self even kind of wanted to be a model/actress. Now I’m just a boring office worker, although I actually like it.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be either a locksmith, bus driver or elevator engineer.

Copper (II) Sulphate

A mermaid or a singer.  Turns out I can't hold a tune, but hair dye exists.

When I was eleven I decided that I wanted to be a published author rolling in film deals... And my meantime ambitions have ranged from forensic scientist to journalist to nurse.

For me, it's always been an author. I had a brief period where I wanted to be a comic book artist, and when I was really young, I wanted to be a detective (which is probably why I'm so interested in mysteries, thrillers, and crime fiction), but for the most part, I knew I wanted to do something catering to literature. Right now I'm aiming for "content editor," but the dream is to make a living off of my writing. 😊

Prufrock, but like, worse

corpse

3 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

I briefly really wanted to be a firefighter when I was 4. I dreamed of wearing the suit, operating the hose, using the ladder, the whole nine yards. I checked out firefighting tapes from the library like crazy. But then my mother crushed my dream, saying I couldn't firefight because I was a female and would die, and I coincidentally never had any career aspirations since.

That's horrible and sexist! At least lie to crush a child's dream like "you can't do it cause you have to own a Dalmatian to become a firefighter" sheesh😒

Grumpy Alien

I wanted to be an actress

I wanted to be a scientist. I am not a scientist.

EggplantWitch

I wanted to be an artist and have my own gallery. I have long since dropped traditional art as a hobby - though I suppose my current goal of having my own etsy selling cute knitted things as a side gig isn't a million miles away!

EmotionalAndroid

As I kid I wanted to be a veterinarian AND a baker/chef. I planned on having a vet practice and a restaurant, though not necessarily in the same building. ;P

I am neither of those things now. While I love animals, I don't think I'd want to be a vet, but my desire to be a baker still stands. In fact, I have a lot of crazy dream jobs now, much more than I did as a kid... Some of my current ones are: a blacksmith, a train engineer, a baker, antique shop owner, cafe owner, artists (non-commercial. Just making things and selling them at craft fairs and the like).

On 4/17/2019 at 9:20 AM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Train driver, 20 years on finally getting round to that xD

Oooh, so cool! This is one of my fantasy dream jobs now.

SorryNotSorry

Oh, you mean for a job. I vacillated between wanting to be an artist or a carpenter.

When I was 6, I wanted to drive. When I was 9, I wanted an acetylene torch so I could learn how to weld. When I was 12, I wanted to join the Air Force so I could fly an F-15. Needless to say, I didn't get those things because the US is not into kids' lib.

chairdesklamp

An architect. There was something that made this happen.

I grew up in Koube. We went to an onsen in Oosaka for a week cut short because everything went wrong. 

Anyway, we were driving down Mitousuji, the main drag in downtown Oosaka. This was the point Japan was transitioning to higher-end manufacturing after Nixon tanked the dollar in the US and Japan got on even footing because the dollar had gone into freefall, the yen didn't, so the dollar tanked against the yen. 

Historical econ lesson aside, there were some new all-glass buildings reflecting the setting sun. 

I wanted to grow up and cover the world in them. They were new, exciting, and gorgeous.

Then I realised I was NOT cut out for the engineering, and once they became ubiquitous in the '90s, realised how cold it looks if that's the majority of the buildings, and was glad I didn't contribute to that.

SpaceDustbin

I wanted to start an animal pension with my godmother :lol:

Last week I found a bunch of primary school notes, and in one of them an essay about what you'd do in future, where my 10 year old self apparently had big dreams of living in New York by the time I was 22, while having my own animal pension, haha

Archived