Game of Thrones! [spoilers, probably]

Wikkit

Hey Thrones fans! I have questions! 

1) Favourite character(s)? 

2) Have you read the books? If so, did you read the books before watching the show or vice-versa? What did you think? 

3) Which house do you belong in? 

4) Who's going to end up on the Iron Throne? Is there even going to be one at the end?

My answers:

1) BRIENNE OF TARTH. I feel as if I've been waiting for that character my whole life; a strong but not extroverted woman who follows her ideals and puts her heart and soul into everything. 'All my life I've knocked men like you into the dust' - what's not to love?? 

2) I was late to the party. I read the books first, then binged the show a week later. I find the books more immersive, the detail in them is astonishing, and was a bit annoyed not to see some of the characters in the show. But the show is plenty good and I wake myself up at stupid o'clock to watch new episodes. I love seeing the imagination in it, the way some characters come across, and obviously I like that the story will definitely be FINISHED XD Oh and THE MUSIC. 

3) House Mormont. Book version in particular, but show too! Tough, reliable, loyal northern women who say what they mean and don't give a damn what people think about them. Dacey Mormont is one of the characters I most miss on the show, even though she only plays a small part in the books.

4) I want it to be Sansa. She's deserved it, and she'd be a good ruler. But I have a suspicion it'll either be one of Jon or Dany (probably Jon: ice and fire right?) or there won't be a throne at all... 

kumiko_itoe

JON SNOW

2) Have you read the books? If so, did you read the books before watching the show or vice-versa? What did you think? 

Yup. I feel the movie left out a lot of details as most movies do. I am someone who is very much into the details as I create my own movie in my mind as I read. So for both GOT and LOTR, I preferred the books. 

Honestly I'm not sure. LOL. They are all so intriguing and yet I don't wanna be there. I rather be the narrator.  

4) Who's going to end up on the Iron Throne? Is there even going to be one at the end?

I believe it is obvious like in every war, that there won't be a throne left. But maybe.....RR would make the least likely happen. The one everyone will rule out - Tyrion Lannister 

I don't have an ABSOLUTE favourite, but if I gotta choose, it's Tyrion Lannister! Because I used to hate him so much during the beginning of the show LMAO!! To have this change of heart is uncommon/ not easy, I tell you-- so that's amazing, and he deserves to be my favourite just for that alone! I also like Daenerys, Sansa and Arya.

No. Sorry. T_T

House Stark. I started watching the show because my friends/ ex- colleagues kept saying that I look like Arya Stark; now that I've watched the show, I think I'm also quite like her, personality- wise too lmao! It's silly. XD I also took some quizzes online; I "am" either Arya or Jon. :')

I think it's going to be Jon... Or probably none.

@Stralen - Interesting choice of favourite character! I've seen a lot of chat about how Tyrion's character has suffered in the later series (to me he's starting to come across as one of those NPCs in the Pokemon games whose job it is to hang around outside the gym telling you how great the gym leader is, like quite a lot of Team Dany...), so what do you think?

@kumiko_itoe - Yay bookfolk! Who's your favourite character who never made it onto the screen?

kumiko_itoe
4 hours ago, Wikkit said:

@kumiko_itoe - Yay bookfolk! Who's your favourite character who never made it onto the screen?

Hard to pick. They are all good characters that truly made the words come to live. But I would have loved to see the Tattered Prince on screen

kumiko_itoe
1 hour ago, Wikkit said:

Interesting choice, very niche!

what about yours? 

@kumiko_itoe (how do you do that quoting thing? I can't make it work properly!)

Just about any of the Mormont women, probably. They're all within the 'warrior woman' type, but they're very much realistic people: Maege is a fighter and a mother; Dacey loves to dance as well and fight and looks damn good in a dress; Aly is just Aly and she's fantastic and I love her sort-of-friendship with Asha. They're all so strong and so varied in their personalities.

Jon or Sam. Everyone else is starting to annoy me.

2) Have you read the books?
No, I stick with the classics and have a long list of those books I have yet to read 

I'd be chillin' in Braavos. Westerose house would probably be Reed.

No Iron Throne in the end, no magic in the end, only democracy will reign

kumiko_itoe
16 hours ago, Wikkit said:

@kumiko_itoe (how do you do that quoting thing? I can't make it work properly!)

Just about any of the Mormont women, probably. They're all within the 'warrior woman' type, but they're very much realistic people: Maege is a fighter and a mother; Dacey loves to dance as well and fight and looks damn good in a dress; Aly is just Aly and she's fantastic and I love her sort-of-friendship with Asha. They're all so strong and so varied in their personalities.

Oh the Mormont women are badass indeed! 

On the quoting thing, 

1. Click on the " + " icon beside the word "Quote" 

2. A popup will appear on your lower right hand side "Quote 1 post". click on it.

That should do it. 

On 4/17/2019 at 2:46 AM, Wikkit said:

Hey Thrones fans! I have questions! 

My answers:

1) BRIENNE OF TARTH. I feel as if I've been waiting for that character my whole life; a strong but not extroverted woman who follows her ideals and puts her heart and soul into everything. 'All my life I've knocked men like you into the dust' - what's not to love?? 

2) I was late to the party. I read the books first, then binged the show a week later. I find the books more immersive, the detail in them is astonishing, and was a bit annoyed not to see some of the characters in the show. But the show is plenty good and I wake myself up at stupid o'clock to watch new episodes. I love seeing the imagination in it, the way some characters come across, and obviously I like that the story will definitely be FINISHED XD Oh and THE MUSIC. 

3) House Mormont. Book version in particular, but show too! Tough, reliable, loyal northern women who say what they mean and don't give a damn what people think about them. Dacey Mormont is one of the characters I most miss on the show, even though she only plays a small part in the books.

4) I want it to be Sansa. She's deserved it, and she'd be a good ruler. But I have a suspicion it'll either be one of Jon or Dany (probably Jon: ice and fire right?) or there won't be a throne at all... 

1.) Daenerys Targaryen. Started off a weak girl then rose to be a Queen. I loved that character development and how she seizes power despite everything that happened to her. I also love that she is flawed, makes rash and bad decisions without thinking of the aftermath because I think it makes her somewhat realistic because nobody in general is perfect or 100% good. I see myself in her somewhat as the weak, controlled girl who is trying to figure out who she is.

2.) I read and own all of the books. I have the World of Ice and Fire book and I am waiting till I can get Fire and Blood. I read the books first then watched the show back in 2013. I prefer the show because it is simple. The books are plot and character heavy to a point I do not understand how people remember all of the details. One of the book characters though that I love and wished was on the show was Princess Arianne of Dorne.

3.) I don't know. Hold on let me do a quiz. I got House Tully but I honestly think I'd fit in more with House Martell cause I have the Salty Dornish look. They're one of the more liberal houses and I have a strong personality that isn't in line with traditional feminine roles.

4.) I want Dany to be Queen but there is so much signs and hints that suggest they're going to turn her into a bad person and kill her off  but oh well that is how that show works. I think it will be Jon honestly (Show Jon annoys me I don't get the appeal behind Kit Harrington especially with female fans.)

On 4/18/2019 at 5:18 AM, Wikkit said:

@Stralen - Interesting choice of favourite character! I've seen a lot of chat about how Tyrion's character has suffered in the later series (to me he's starting to come across as one of those NPCs in the Pokemon games whose job it is to hang around outside the gym telling you how great the gym leader is, like quite a lot of Team Dany...), so what do you think?

LOL yes he has become rather NPC in the later seasons, which is such a shame; I really enjoyed watching his character develop. IT SEEMS LIKE HE MIGHT NOT SURVIVE THOUGH. T_T

@Stralen If they're going to remove his personality it might be best if he did cop it, preferably while firing off a witty quip that *isn't* about balls or cocks... The difference between the Tyrion who gave the 'I have been on trial for being a dwarf my whole life' and the Tyrion who sort of whined a bit about the Lannisters coming to Winterfell is (if you'll excuse the pun) stark, and I really hope the same thing doesn't happen in the books. Or that he redeems himself hugely within the next few weeks. Either is cool XD

@Rhaenys #1 I am LOVING your name and I'm so jealous that you get to have the experience of reading F&B for the first time. You're almost certainly going to love it. It's a bit of a heft and detail-heavy at times, but all the Targ history is great.

Sooooooo I have to confess that I'm not a Dany fan - there's a hint of 'white saviour' about her sometimes - but I'm not going to say she's 100% bad because she's obviously not. What I did note, though, was that the flaws starting to show through in her now have been there and hinted at so far. They're just a bit more obvious because she's not in an environment that is geared entirely towards her being the heroine. We can see what she does from the northerners' viewpoint and suddenly it starts to look a little less YAY GO DANY and a bit more 'okay but your dragons are literally eating all of the northerners' flocks and WINTER IS HERE'. In my opinion, anyway.

Emilia's performance is absolutely top-notch though, she sells Dany and her actions and motivations PERFECTLY.

Totally with you on the Jon thing though. Just...*brooooooooooooooooooood*.

@Moonman Sansa's turning out to be pretty good at mediating? Sort of? Plus I imagine she'd have a badass outfit.

@kumiko_itoe Aha! Thank you!

@Firefly8 SAMWELL. Who always returns his library books on time. Apart from when he needs them to save the world or whatever :D

Anybody else miss Ghost?

2 hours ago, Wikkit said:

@Rhaenys #1 I am LOVING your name and I'm so jealous that you get to have the experience of reading F&B for the first time. You're almost certainly going to love it. It's a bit of a heft and detail-heavy at times, but all the Targ history is great.

Sooooooo I have to confess that I'm not a Dany fan - there's a hint of 'white saviour' about her sometimes - but I'm not going to say she's 100% bad because she's obviously not. What I did note, though, was that the flaws starting to show through in her now have been there and hinted at so far. They're just a bit more obvious because she's not in an environment that is geared entirely towards her being the heroine. We can see what she does from the northerners' viewpoint and suddenly it starts to look a little less YAY GO DANY and a bit more 'okay but your dragons are literally eating all of the northerners' flocks and WINTER IS HERE'. In my opinion, anyway.

Emilia's performance is absolutely top-notch though, she sells Dany and her actions and motivations PERFECTLY.

Totally with you on the Jon thing though. Just...*brooooooooooooooooooood*.

Thanks. There's a user named Visenya here so I thought it would be cool to match. We just need a user named Aegon now. I look forward to reading it.

I don't see Dany like that because I don't inject real world issues into a fantasy show because it makes no sense. I agree there her hints of being flawed have been present since book1/ Season1. That makes sense too because she has never been to the North and they've always been more traditional than the rest of Westeros. Agreed Emilia does her justice which I like.

Yeah I liked Jon in the books but maybe it is my aceness acting up but idk about show Jon.

4 hours ago, Wikkit said:

Anybody else miss Ghost?

Free Ghost! 

@Rhaenys Oh my gosh that's adorable. Though I'm not sure you'd want an Aegon, given the whole sister-wives thing. Plus, girl power!

So you wouldn't agree that the story is potentially a long-winded metaphor about climate change, even though G.R.R.M has said so himself?

I find that, without being able to see his thoughts, the show Jon seems a lot less complicated than the book Jon. He does the right thing. Some people don't like it. He does the right thing. Some people don't like it. Etc.etc. 

@Firefly8 It's been years! Maybe he's gone the same way as Cersei's elephants - into the dark recesses of the CGI budget, while the dragons soar majestically overhead.

10 hours ago, Moonman said:
  Reveal hidden contents

After re-watching the first episode of the new season, does anybody else think that the army of the dead will find a way to traverse across the seas? They've purposefully mentioned this concept in both The Dragon and the Wolf and Winterfell but uhh, can't the Night King just fly across? Do they have the intelligence to sail across? If the Night King can leave a message like the one he left in Winterfell, surely he has the means to get an army across some water? I'm always careful of accepting everything at face value in this show. :P

That's true, he can! Maybe he can't bring the others with him, though, because that'd mean finding boats and presumably knowing how to sail them? I'm assuming you can't get them to do things unless you know how?

We could be set up for a brilliant comedy sketch here.

Anybody see last night's episode? I got up at 2AM to watch it and thought IT WAS SO WORTH IT.

Spoiler

THOSE SCENES WITH BRIENNE AND JAIME! AND HE KNIGHTED HER! AND IT WAS OBVIOUSLY SO IMPORTANT TO HER EVEN THOUGH SHE WAS PRETENDING IT WASN'T. AND EVERYBODY CLAPPED. AND SHE'S GOT A COMMAND WHICH PROBABLY MEANS SHE'S GOING TO DIE BUT SER BRIENNE OF TARTH HAS A COMMAND.

Also I loved that little touch with the episode title...the D&E novellas are one of my go-to quick reads and I love them so it was good to see the reference.

@markmarcus I can't see what that says! Do I have to double-click it or something?

Spoiler

Danaerys did not look happy to find out that John is her nephew.

32 minutes ago, Nevyn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Danaerys did not look happy to find out that John is her nephew.

She really did not! And it's telling how her first thought wasn't for him or his identity crisis, or even for what it means for them, but for that there's now a new competitor for the Throne. Put that together with what Sam said about giving up crowns... 

Basically things could go even more to shit xD

SpaceDustbin

I absolutely love Brienne of Tarth and also Jaime Lannister - but Brienne a tad more ;)

Their characters and their interaction is what actually got me into GoT in the first place.

I have! It was my plan to read the books before watching the show, but never got very far (too many other books to read, and it seemed a bit daunting at first with all the characters and storylines), and held off from watching the show for years, but finally started watching, and after finishing up to s7, I read/listened to all the books.

I think it's good I watched the show first, because that made it easier to get through the books, but I really love the depth the books give you. It's also really interesting to see how your perception of characters changes once you get to their POVs, and see how biased your view has been before ;)

ASOS and AFFC are my favourite books in the series, ASOS because so many of the important plot points happen in that book, and AFFC because it's basically a lot of my favourite characters (Jaime, Brienne and Cersei, Sansa and Sam), and I do secretly like the Dorne plot. 

No clue ;)

It better not be Dany. She's definitely in a downward spiral, and wouldn't do the world any good. Soo... Jon or Sansa? My wild card goes to Jaime, though those chances are very slim. Jaime as Hand of the King works as well ;)

On the other hand I also see there not being a throne in the end as a real possibility, but we'll see...

@SpaceDustbin I agree with so much of what you've said there. Very rarely seem to find anybody who actually likes AFFC, but it's my personal favourite for basically the same reason.

BRIENNE AND JAIME ❤️ I'm a sucker for them both...their relationship (however you read it) evolves so beautifully and when you look at where it is now, how much they trust and respect and care for each other...*sigh*

What was the main difference you found between show and books? What do you wish hadn't been cut, and what do you think definitely deserved to be left out?

@Moonman Hooooooooooooo boy you're gonna be a mess :P

Really interesting analysis of Jon; it's worth pointing out that Sansa said by and large the same thing to him, just subtly, last season. The northmen are not easily satisfied and he really should have had some kind of idea about how to get them to accept his new girlfriend beyond 'let them see you for what you are' (which, btw, is not necessarily the best idea given that she has a tendency to be less than merciful). Maybe it's going to be down to Sansa to do all the political heavy lifting?

Spoiler

If Tormund dies, we riot. Even though it looks likely because what's he for now? They dumped Dorne as soon as it was no longer plot-relevant , the Tyrells too, Littlefinger... I can't shake the feeling that they're going to use the upcoming slaughter to get rid of everybody whose plot use or arcs are done. So that's Tormund, probably Pod, Theon for sure, maybe Davos? And I'm extremely worried for Brienne and Jaime.

I've got Theon in my fantasy league team so as long as he takes some undead and a White Walker with him, I'm good.

@Moonman I'm a fluster already and I'm not even going to watch the 2AM (since I have to work, and I know I won't be able to go back to sleep afterwards). I might risk watching on the bus to work, if I can sit at the front so nobody can see me cry...

Spoiler

Yeah he's so focused on dealing with the dead that you have to wonder what will happen to him if they win. Suddenly he's got nothing to fight for...or has he? Although I don't get the impression he's interested in having any kind of power (remember how he walked away from being Lord Commander), so I can see him just going 'meh have it' and settling for Winterfell. If that.

Jorah's a goner, for exactly that reason. He's had his crucial 'bigging up Tyrion' moment and he's not really needed any more. Dany doesn't need him to protect her. Theon - his story is done, he's done. He'll redeem himself saving Bran, there'll be some callback to S1 Theon, then he'll take down a WW and get killed in the process. Absolutely nobody expects him to survive. So that probably means he will...

Seems a lot of people are worried about Sam. I think he has to survive, he's the very epitome of goodness and the story isn't quite as grimdark as people think it is. He's the hope. He's also the closest thing they have to a maester, and he understands the need for memory. I can see him being the one to 'write' the story afterwards. Which, thinking about it, means he's perfectly set to die and pull the rug from under us. Thoughts?

@Moonman I have no patience or restraint. I watched it. I think I've just about stopped shaking? 😂

(on my phone so can't reply properly but RE Sam: and don't forget he stole some books from the Citadel library!) 

Game of Thrones typically depicts warfare in a very realistic way, where factors that have affected battles in actual hstory are shown in battles on this show as far back as the first season.  Despite the fantasy elements warfare in this series isvery plausible most of the time.  That was true of last night's episode too, in the battle against the army of the Dead.

Heres why both sides had terrible strategems for the battle in last night's episode and why (true to realistic warfare), things went poorly for both sides.

The Humans:

1. The Dothraki charge was an absolute fumble.  While its been useful in the past and they had the fire swords from the red woman this didn't apply here.  In this show and in real history cavalary charges have the advantage of being very rapid attacks that when directed at a weak point in the enemy lines can disrupt their entire formation, cuasing a single attack to break up an entire army.

There was no way that could happen.  The Dothraki charged blindly into the dark, with no idea if they were hitting the army of the dead in a useful location.  For example: if the Night King had been nearby then a rapid charge (too fast for him to get away) at him to kill him would have made sense.  But they had no idea where they were attacking.  Plus the advantage of cavalry is often that a rapid charges scares the enemies and causes them to break formation.  The dead aren't gonna get scared, so a cavalry attack in the dark was not gonna work that well.

It would have been better to have the Dothraki fight from the fortified position of Winterfell and not charge blindly.  The horses could have been saved for the war against Cersei or at least been slaughtered to feed the cold and hungry army at Winterfell.  They would have gotten a lot more done, had they done that.  Unsurprisingly, they suffered a lot of unnecessary deaths.

2. When the charge didn't work, Dany shouldn't have changed the plan without telling anyone or using some kind of back up.  She certainly shouldn't have committed both dragons and revealed their positions when the Night King's dragon was still unseen and could have tried anything.  This made it much harder to light the fire defense walls, leading to more deaths.  If the red woman hadn't stepped in and been helped by the soldiers nearby, the battle could have been lost.

They should have sent one dragon in to adapt to deal with the situation but kept one in reserve to light the fire defenses and respond to the deployment of the Night King's dragon and have some element of surprise.

3. Dany shouldn't have landed her dragon when she saved Jon and turned her back to the dead.  This caused them to jump her dragon and scare it off for the rest of the battle and Jon had already had his too injured to fight anymore.  This was a careless use of her best weapon in the battle and nearly cost them.

In short, the humans mostly didn't take into account the kind of opponent they had and didn't try to contain their advantages and exploit their disadvantages.  They only won because the Night King made worse decisions.

The Dead:

The only real flaw was this.  The Night King was the only real weakness of the army of the dead.  He couldn't afford to die.  Jon and Dany could die, and the humans could still win, but not the Night king.  Most of the humans were armed with Valerian steel, dragon glass, or enchanted fire swords, all of which could kill him and the other dead soldiers.

I look at the attack on Winterfell as similar to room clearing that we did in the Army.  I never actually cleared rooms but I had a bunch of training on it and basicly you never treat a building as safe until you have methodically cleared every room in a building.  Room clearing is one of the most high-casualty forms of combat by the way.  Being a fortress, Winterfell was pretty muchg one building with lots of rooms, and the Night King went right in there while the fighting was still going on, with several enemies that had the right kind of weapons to kill him.

So it's no surprise that Arya (trained in super stealth) popped up while the Night King was exposed and killed him.  He could have waited until all of Winterfell was clear of hostiles and then gone for Bran but he didn't do that.  He was the one weakness of the army of the dead and he put himself in direct danger.  That's we he (and the dead) lost.

costaccounting

I am fairly sad that all those southerners won't meet the night king. It should have been more interesting if Night King won at Winterfell, causing the survivors to flee towards kings landing where the last stand takes place. 

@Roy M. 'I am but a young girl, who knows nothing of the ways of war'...but frankly, I'm not in this for military strategy. Yep, they all made mistakes. Does it mean the episode wasn't stunning and ambitious and thrilling? Nope. I loved it, and I don't care that the strategy was bogus. 

(in my opinion, obviously. A tactical mind may differ XD) 

@Road But it was still awesome :P

@costaccounting I agree, I'd have liked to see that. It would have cast interesting political shades, which I'm concerned will be lacking as they've now only got 3 eps to tie it up with. If they were there as refugees rather than outright opponents it might have had more of the subtlety of the first seasons (which was what got me hooked in the first place). The last three had better be spectacular! XD

@Moonman That'll be almost a week then, right? :P

The Roomba Chicken

1) My favourite dead characters are Ygritte, Margaery and Olenna, fave alive characters are probably Sansa, Sam and Arya!

2) I've read three of the books but after I began watching the show! Although the books have extra things that were super cool, I don't mind them not being included in the show

3) I'm seriously not sure :( I always used to say Targaryen, but that's just coz dragons are cool, so I'm not certain anymore!

4) Man, I definitely couldn't tell you! The ending's meant to be bitter sweet, so maybe Dany but she's like her father? 

Archived