Berserk Buttons

KuraTheChibiSleepingBeauty

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.

Lately I was thinking about the very few things that make me RAGE, and the fact that I could only come up with five is probably a good thing. 

In no particular order:

1) Metroid Other M [words just cannot describe how much I despise it]

2) The Last Airbender movie that doesn't exist 

3) End of Evangelion [tying into that, any story that ends in despair, with everything rendered pointless and all for nothing]

4) Anytime an abusive relationship of any kind is romanticized/portrayed as a good thing

5) Characters struggling with depression or traumatic experiences being dismissed as 'whiny', 'emo', 'weak', and so forth 

A couple dis-honourable mentions: The Castlevania animated series [along with anything with excessive violence, blood, gore, and swearing], and whenever The Lion King is just labelled 'Hamlet with lions'. 

What are your top five berserk buttons? [I'm curious to learn, but if no one wants to share, that's okay, too.]

1) When people are judgmental of others' orientations/genders

2) People on Tumblr who are hateful to asexuals in the guise of protecting the LGBT community

3) When people say everyone or no one does something when that's not true

4) When people call others oversensitive for being bothered by something that doesn't bother them

5) People who act like they're better for not liking mainstream things

There may be more to come.

AmorphousBlob

1. People that feel the need to insert their opinions into things not involving them

2. Sword Art Online

3. People that don't respect physical boundaries

4. When people say [insert mental disorder] isn't that bad and isn't REALLY a disability (It's usually ADHD)

5. People that lie constantly

4 minutes ago, Road said:

but The Baby

No.

1. When people say "Exercise cures depression" while I'm one of those health nuts who works out at least 4 days per week and yet I've been on anti-depressants to help me function for almost 4 years.

2. Nature woo. No, essential oils do not cure cancer.

3. Disney's live-action remakes. I may be biased because I prefer 2D animation, but most of them are more or less shot for shot remakes except for the characters either looking like glorified cosplayers or weird looking CGI abominations.

4. When people assume I'm either a liberal or a conservative. Brace yourselves people.....some of us are neither one.

5. People who don't use their turn signal when they switch lanes.

People who are overly optimistic. Its not that great in the real world. I promise.

People who smile all the time. Do you have Bell's Palsy and are trying to hide it? 

Spoiler

People with overly white teeth. What have you been eating that requires you to bleach your teeth? I bet it rhymes with hit...

People who whistle while they are in public places. You are not a dwarf at work so no, just no. 

People who try and have a conversation with me while I grocery shop. I don't care if they are having a sale on ground chuck! Leave me alone! 

Cashiers who act like they may be reanimated corpses. Yes your job sucks, but so does my life so get me away from you quicker and we can both be a bit happier.

Uninvited compliments, criticism, or advice. I don't care.

People who dog ear books in a bookstore by reading them before they buy them then put them back on the shelf. Stop it! I like books more than I like you so don't damage them asshat! 

Many many more but I'm getting pissed just thinking about all this stuff.

In no particular order:

Cruelty in all of its forms towards animals or any other sort of living being. 

The perpetuation of hate.

Slavery.

The failure of government to function for the good of the people.

The use of twisted interpretations of religious values to manipulate the voting public for political gain.

The denial of basic scientific fact for much the same reasons.

The inaccurate and misleading portrayal of mental illness in media.

Trickle down economics.

Copyright law.

Modern advertising.

Wal-mart.

AmorphousBlob
2 hours ago, PrismaticDream said:

5) People who act like they're better for not liking mainstream things

I am ashamed to admit that I used to be that person. Fortunately, I realized a while ago just how much of an asshole I was being about it. I still tend not to like mainstream things, but it doesn't make me better than anyone else.

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

In no particular order:

1. People who are hateful or mean to others for literally no reason

2. Stories that end without a proper ending (if that makes sense)

3. Being expected to like adult things just because I'm an "adult"
4. Sequels that aren't faithful to or undermine the plot of the original story

5. People who judge or belittle others for personal preferences that affects no one but themselves

CierraJasmineJ

Some things that really get me a bit riled up, in no particular order, are:

1. People who don't tip (and I know some people say that that's elitist, and sometimes people can't afford to tip, and those people still deserve to go out to eat... I understand those points of view, but at the same time, if you order a meal, a soda, a dessert, and you don't tip, I feel like you can just drink water and use the soda money as a tip - feel free to give me your opinions on this, because tip culture in the US is something I don't think I'll ever tire of hearing)

2. The Percy Jackson series movies that don't exist (and the Last Airbender movie that doesn't exist as well) (also, if you like Percy Jackson I suggest the Lightning Thief Musical as an alternative to movie)

3. Anti-Vaxxers!!

4. People who pretend to be someone's friend but then talk bad about them behind their back, or treat their "friends" badly

5. People who don't let other people be heard.

AmorphousBlob
2 hours ago, CierraJasmineJ said:

2. The Percy Jackson series movies that don't exist (and the Last Airbender movie that doesn't exist as well) (also, if you like Percy Jackson I suggest the Lightning Thief Musical as an alternative to movie)

Tbh I prefer not having one over the trash they were dishing out (Hey anyone remember when they took out an entire character in Lightning Thief?)

1. Anti-Vaxxers (Words cannot describe how I despise these inhuman worms)

2. "Bad Boys" (a fancy word for manipulative creepy jerks) being romanticised. Hate them so much. HATE. Them. Also they're ugly - sorry but I think muscles are kinda gross and i don't get why shirtless people or whatever are supposed to be "hot". They're kinda gross and are boring!

3. People feeling the need to pair every character up romantically and whining on about characters who haven't been paired up yet. Not everyone needs a date to be happy

4. People thinking a character without a crush is gay. NO. This is kind of ace erasure - a character is gay if they have a crush on one of the same gender, a character who isn't really crushing on anyone is ace.

5. People who never shut up talking

6. Vermin Ableists

7. Fictional characters I hate when they're doing whatever makes them so annoying

8. The fact that Trash Twilight exists.

9. 99% of sex songs (There is the rare 1% of sex songs that are good despite being about sex but those are super rare. Yeah, most sex songs are TRASH)

10. Sitcoms that spam laugh tracks all the time and house unlikable characters...

11. The fact that this list isn't exactly 10 points long, because I originally intended it to only be 10 points long.

12. The fact that Riverdale and the House episode exist.

18 hours ago, Omega the Shadow said:

In no particular order:

2. Stories that end without a proper ending (if that makes sense)

You mean when it feels like the story ends in the middle of a sentence because they don't resolve anything at all? Yeah, I hate it when

SpaceDustbin

Anti-vaxxers

(Facebook comments on) the Israel-Palestine conflict

Anti-anbortion protesters

Thierry Baudet (but especially his followers)

Real Estate RICO

1. Gatekeeping in most cases. 

2. Inconsistency (i.e.: I thought y'all cancelled Benioff and Weiss, and GoT by extension a long ass time ago because of how sexist they were, and especially after they announced Confederate. Now here y'all are going apeshit over GoT's final season)

3. Being told to listen to/respect both sides in all cases. It's one thing to agree to disagree on whether, for example, Giannis or James Harden is the best player in the NBA; that's cool. It's another to be told to listen to flat earthers, anti-vaxxers, transphobes, white nationalists, etc.

4. Any one of these gremlins who think rap/hip-hop isn't real music.

5. Anyone who likes college basketball, but not the NBA. Well, it's not so much of a berserk button as it is a sign that.. I can only trust you as far as I can throw you.

6. THE DISCOURSE, particularly the sad, pathetic losers who dedicate entire blogs around it.

6a. Shit like this, and this. Fuck, at least far-right chuds stab us in the front.

7. Barstool Sports.

Archived