What does the A stand for in LGBTQA+

Horse Ham Radio

What does the A stand for in LGBTQA+ (and other variants of LGBT+)  

142 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, which of these should the A stand for?

• Ally
    • Asexual
    • Aromantic
    • Agender
    • Activist (an LGBT+ activist..)
    • Other (please comment)
    • Undecided/Unsure
    • None of these
  2. 2. Which of these do you believe the A should NOT stand for?

• Ally
    • Asexual
    • Aromantic
    • Agender
    • Activist (an LGBT+ activist..)
    • Undecided/Unsure
    • None of these (i.e. I am ok with the A standing for any of these)

This poll is closed to new votes

Horse Ham Radio

With the acronym LGBTQA+ and the many variants of it, I have come across five fairly common definitions for what the A stands for: Ally, Asexual, Aromantic, Agender, and LGBT+ Activist.

What is your opinion on what the A should (and should not) stand for? Everyone is welcome to participate in this poll.

I thought the A stood for ally but until recently I thought the Q stood for 'questioning' so I'm really not up on these things. I think it would be cool for the A to stand for asexual. Either that or angel-food-cake.

"LGBT+".

"Problem" solved.

Horse Ham Radio
10 minutes ago, Homer said:

"LGBT+".

"Problem" solved.

So what does the "+" stand for? 😛

SorryNotSorry

To quote Popeye the Sailor, I yam what I yam!

I never heard of it standing for activist before

Grumpy Alien

I believe it should only stand for asexual.

Grumpy Alien
23 hours ago, nameinagame said:

So what does the "+" stand for? 😛

The rest of the letters 😜

• 2 weeks later...

I think it should stand for Asexual and Aromantic. Agender could also go under trans/non-binary, but if agender people want to be included under the A, I'm okay with that. I think that individual LGBT+ groups should include allies if they want to, but it doesn't make sense to include allies in the abbreviation. Something like "I support the LGBTQIA community" wouldn't make sense if A was for ally, since allies are the ones doing the supporting, not the ones being supported.

• 2 weeks later...
AceyMacey

I don't think there has to be a definitive, one, definition of the A, but I think it has to be a sexuality or gender identity minority, so not ally or activist. While I appreciate the cis/het allies and activists of the world, they aren't part of the community. As I've said before, it's being included for not being an asshole. A large part of the LGBT+ community is the idea that however you identify isn't a choice. Being an asshole (or not one) is a choice, which warps the idea of participation in the community.

Dreamsexual

some one that is an 'ally' or 'activist' should not be included since they are not considered non-straight or non cisgender. They should be considered friends, but not completely part of the community. It is like someone that is not part of an ethnic race group of still supports them and fights for them. They can do that all they want, but they won't be considered part of that community since they do not 'fit in' in a sense. 

It means asexual or aromantic. And I guess it means agender too, I just didn't think of that before this, but obviously agender should be recognized too, it's just that it's different from asexual/aromantic. Maybe there should be two A's. 

Anyway, it certainly does not stand for activist or ally. 

MentosCubing
On 5/12/2019 at 2:46 AM, Transformed said:

Maybe there should be two A's.

Nah. Let's just put five. Then all the answers can count. LGBTQIAAAAA+ should be the new abbreviation, case closed :P

• 1 month later...

I think it should stand for a-spec people (those on the asexual, aromantic, and agender spectrum) and those who are abrosexual/romantic.

I'm with Homer. I've really just taken to "LGBTQ+" as a word on its own and not acronyms. It is an umbrella statement that is already alphabet soup.

Whether or not other LGBTQ+ accept us or not is another issue. Whether they did or didn't, I'd feel the same.

But if we have to split hairs, I think it can stand for multiple things. Allies and activists are very valid people and when you split hairs with asexual, aromantic, agender, etc, it stops being a useful abbreviation. It is clunky enough as it is. I also think Q means multiple things.

• 2 weeks later...

also for adding the the plus to cover additional letters

or A can stand for awesome people

• 10 months later...

@nameinagame

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived