Semiterrestrial Scientist

Does this dress look like a drapery disaster?

Is this a hideous dress?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-10...

• 10-Idk what you are talking about. ‘Tis the prettiest dress ever
    • 9-What! It’s super pretty. Would definitely wear this to places
    • 8-Very nice. Would wear
    • 7-It’s pretty and decent
    • 6-I would wear this on occasions and it’s ok
    • 5-I would wear this in public
    • 4-I would prefer not to wear this in public
    • 3-I would prefer my drapes
    • 2-it looks like drapes
    • 1-this wouldn’t even make it as drapes
    • Other(will comment)

I have this dress. I absolutely hate it. Mom likes it. 

[EDIT: This isn’t the actual dress I have. I don’t know how to post pics. The pattern and color is the same but the neckline is more up than v line. Same company too. I don’t know what it’s called though.]

m_5ac9863c8df47073a04ce1ca.jpg

CBC

Um, I likely wouldn't buy it... just not something I would wear, and if I was looking for a dress in that sort of style I'm sure there are others I'd like better... but I don't think it's the most horrid dress I've ever seen, either. I really am kind of neutral on it. I get why it makes you think of drapery though, haha.

arani86

From a color perspective...this would look nice against darker skin, but might wash out lighter skin. It would also look nice against a cool skin tone, but busy against a warm skin tone. 

It looks a little like drapes, but Maria made some bomb clothes from Austrian drapes in Sound Of Music so that doesn't make it a bad dress. I'm a medium skin tone - I look like a mocha latte, a warm lightish brown - I would not wear this color, I'm too light, it would make my complexion look green or yellow. If you'r lighter than say...milk chocolate, this is probably not a great option. 

I also do not wear dresses. But I would not wear shorts or a shirt of this color/pattern with my skin tone. If it was a little more Gold instead of goldenrod...maybe...eh....

Niohmaye

The dress is pretty. As in, it's a nice cut and I'd wear it if it was a different color! I like the flowers though, but the yellow...is just...I don't know what to say...although I think if the color was lighter, more pastel maybe or perhaps even bolder, more golden but the yellow is kind of in between and I'm really not sure how I feel about it.

Loomie

It's not my style, but I've got a friend who would almost certainly wear this, just based off the colors

RoseGoesToYale

To be fair, I think 99% of modern fashion is ugly, but to me it's not even the cuts and patterns, it's the abysmal quality of the fabric. That's why too many things wind up looking like 90s drapery.

What I can't seem to figure out is, why is it now admirable to wear harvest gold, and yet when people see these, they recoil in fear?

Spoiler

27e4176a567296d2f160e1172711b8fa.jpg

CBC
3 minutes ago, RoseGoesToYale said:
Spoiler

27e4176a567296d2f160e1172711b8fa.jpg

Hey it's almost identical to my parents' fridge. 😂 Theirs is from 1976 and still going strong.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, arani86 said:

From a color perspective...this would look nice against darker skin, but might wash out lighter skin. It would also look nice against a cool skin tone, but busy against a warm skin tone. 

It looks a little like drapes, but Maria made some bomb clothes from Austrian drapes in Sound Of Music so that doesn't make it a bad dress. I'm a medium skin tone - I look like a mocha latte, a warm lightish brown - I would not wear this color, I'm too light, it would make my complexion look green or yellow. If you'r lighter than say...milk chocolate, this is probably not a great option. 

I also do not wear dresses. But I would not wear shorts or a shirt of this color/pattern with my skin tone. If it was a little more Gold instead of goldenrod...maybe...eh....

I don't wear dresses either. Hate them quite a bit. But why would that matter...

I also have a weird pale olive skin. Definitely lighter than chocolate milk.

I also hate most floral things and bright colors. Mom likes both

Nowhere Girl

I don't like it. Too short, too skimpy (I wear long pants all year long), but I don't really mind the pattern.

arani86

Oh! Do you cook!? Or bake? It would make a SUPER cute apron! Just a few cuts, a little hemming, it would be perfect! depending on how the back is made, you could even make two aprons out of it! 

• Like 1

Fluffy Femme Guy

It's okay.
I don't hate it, but I think the patterning somewhat conflicts with the background color.

I would not wear something with this pattern/color combo.

Gloomy

I don’t like the color, I wouldn’t even use it as drapes. I do have a couple of floral dresses of similar length and shape though.

Firefly8

In the picture by itself it looks akin to a 1950s apron made from drapes. That said, I do think it would look cute on the right person.

Mewtwo

I don’t like the color, but it looks nice. I’m not into such girly dresses though, and wouldn’t wear it.

12 hours ago, arani86 said:

Oh! Do you cook!? Or bake? It would make a SUPER cute apron! Just a few cuts, a little hemming, it would be perfect! depending on how the back is made, you could even make two aprons out of it! 

I have started to become more into cooking. I’m not sure if mom would be thrilled with me cutting it up though. She likes it

Homer

It's a dress *shrug*

Joel.

I personally don't think it looks good on me. for context; I'm a big man whit a short beard and about the same quantity of hear on my legs and head who can lift more than 120kg. so I choose "4-I would prefer not to wear this in public" because I prefer not to wear this dress at all, but I think It would look good on some of the more feminine people of the human race.

disGraceful

I like it! I’d wear that.

ByeYall!

It gives me a 50s vibe for some reason. If were of the mind to wear a dress ( I'm a burly dude who would look frightful in a dress), I would wear this one. It wouldn't be my favorite but I wouldn't hate it either. It is a little bright for my tastes, mainly because I prefer blues and blacks. 

Lemonsky

I think it's pretty cute, though I'm not a fan of the thin shoulder straps or the V-shaped neckline. I'd probably also personally prefer it in some other color than yellow, though I wouldn't mind the color.

Luftschlosseule

Which material is it made of? If you like the cut but not the colour you can always put it with textile colour in the wash and get something else.

But yeah, looks like drapes.

• Like 1

Morte

Just came here for laughs, having a very slight hope you'd be posing in that drapery disaster. Seriously though, as stated before it has a strong 50's vibe and looks like drapery. Also, you can't sneak around unnoticed in this, but that's just personal preference. Turn it into an apron. Show your mother the poll results if needed. We're heading for the 2020's, you know.😥

MollyDMA

I wouldn't buy this dress because I don't wear dresses, unless I have to, but I don't mind it. 

Lucinda

Does the dress fit your mother?

Lucinda

• Like 2

Ultima

A say the beauty of a dress depends on who is wearing it. 

Eva River
On 4/12/2019 at 10:17 PM, Semiterrestrial Scientist said:

Omg you're so right it would make a cute apron (a better apron than a dress, anyway 😋