Stanley Cup 2019 playoffs

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude
On 4/16/2019 at 7:08 PM, RoseGoesToYale said:

stuff Pierre McGuire in the brig

I can get behind that. I hate that guy. 

I'm hoping tonight that the Jets can keep up the way they play in the first two periods for the whole game. <_< If we didn't keep shitting the bed in the third period we'd have won the series by now. 

On 4/18/2019 at 8:53 PM, scarletlatitude said:

I hate that guy. 

He's the creepiest guy I can think of on TV.

If you can creep out a reputed enforcer, you're next level creepy:

RoseGoesToYale

I want Laine to score tonight so I have an excuse to play this

Title means "One Wave at a Time", here's the chorus translated:

One wave at a time

A storm awaits you here

One wave at a time

Many stories have been left behind

One wave at a time

A lot has been got, a lot has been lost

One wave at a time

scarletlatitude
1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

He's the creepiest guy I can think of on TV.

Every time he covers the Penguins he calls Kris Letang "Kristopher". That is not his name. He goes by Kris. It even says so on his official stuff. Stop it. You are not his grandmother. You don't need to call him by his birth certificate name. 

Remember when that puck almost smacked him in the head? My initial thought was "shame it missed". :P 

RoseGoesToYale
1 hour ago, scarletlatitude said:

Remember when that puck almost smacked him in the head? My initial thought was "shame it missed". :P 

The entire Tampa fanbase too. As Doc Emerick would say "And a drive nearly caroms off Pierre's coconut, but that one wouldn't go!"

4 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

I want Laine to score tonight so I have an excuse to play this

I want Laine to score tonight for a number of reasons, not that he's my favourite player or anything like that, I just want him to do his damn job.

Alawyn-Aebt

This will probably be the Stanley Cup of the underdogs.

No Lightning, no Flames, no Penguins, and others will be dropping like flies

44 minutes ago, Aebt said:

This will probably be the Stanley Cup of the underdogs.

No Lightning, no Flames, no Penguins, and others will be dropping like flies

I want to see the Islanders make the finals. Just because it shows the Ottawa Senators that they messed up in getting rid of Lehner for a bag of pucks (or at least that's what it felt like). I sort of wanted San Jose to do well as well, for that very reason (for trading the team's heart and soul Karlsson) and Las Vegas (for trading away their runner up captain Mark Stone).

Basically, just to make our incompetent management feel stupid.

If all else fails, Toronto makes the finals and will be equally happy. Yes. I'm an Ottawa fan that doesn't have a problem with Toronto fans. I love Canadian hockey teams O_o

St. Louis deserves this, they really do. I'll be happy to see the Stars win over the Preds, though, just to see my least favourite central division rival also get weeded out. :P

This has been a wild first round, though.

RoseGoesToYale

Slightly off-topic, but why is pulling the goalie still a thing? Like a good 95% of the time it doesn't work and is effectively defensive suicide. It seems to me coaches do it just because they can when they're desperate. The only way pulling the goalie can work is if the team in question gets the momentum going their way again and their offense has shown a marked improvement throughout the 3rd period, or if the opposing defense/goalie has shown signs of fatigue through the 3rd. If they've been mediocre all night, the offense has to sit back and play defense because the other team still has all the speed and scoring chances going for them. I also see pulling goalies as a morale killer, as it reminds the players that they're trailing and now they have to deal with not having their goalie to stop pucks.

Repeatedly pulling the goalie after multiple empty net goals is just ludicrous and makes coaches look silly. It's just one extra player, why not leave your goalie in and switch up the line combos for different chemistry?

Rant over, carry on.

It seems to me like goalie pulling is waaaay more common now than it was 10 or so years ago.

RoseGoesToYale
4 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

It seems to me like goalie pulling is waaaay more common now than it was 10 or so years ago.

What gets me is when they do it when they're only down by one, because if the other team scores, there goes any momentum and they've got a deeper hole. If they're already down two or three, it makes more sense, more to gain, less to lose.

But the likelihood of them evening out the score when they're down two or three seems so low. It makes more sense to me to limit it to when they're only down by one. But I doubt the statistics look good for any of those scenarios.

Alawyn-Aebt

Of course they do it out of desperation, and it usually does not work, but it sometimes does. When you are desperate you throw everything you can into it.

What I don't understand is why pull the goalie again after an empty-net goal. You still are losing, you are more desperate than before. If you were going to risk pulling your goalie to win when you were losing, then after you start losing by more why did you decide to stop risking it? If you want to win, you should try everything at your disposal.

I know people say "Oh, well they don't want to look bad." 

They are literally losing, a loss by 1 goal is as much of a loss by 5 goals. I know you fans, players, and commentators will not think so, but it is.

I think we're headed for a Caps and Blues final. 

Alawyn-Aebt

As a Caps fan for the past 8 years, I hope so. Back to back would be nice.

But as a realist Caps will probably lose to Islanders. On the flip side, the Islanders are a good second (or third, I do like the Leafs, or is it Leaves?)

The Caps weakness is they are inconsistent.

1 hour ago, Snao Cone said:

I think we're headed for a Caps and Blues final. 

I hope the Blues go down before that can happen... if the Blues and Preds both go out, then there won't be any teams I dislike left in the playoffs. At this point I'm pretty much rooting for the Maple Leafs, but we'll see how that goes.  I wouldn't mind the Caps winning again, though, if that happens.

I'm still guessing that whoever wins between the Sharks and the Knights will win the western conference. Now I am also hoping that it will be so. If the Lightning didn't completely collapse, I think the Blue Jackets actually have a surprisingly good chance in the east.

21 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

Slightly off-topic, but why is pulling the goalie still a thing? Like a good 95% of the time it doesn't work and is effectively defensive suicide. It seems to me coaches do it just because they can when they're desperate. The only way pulling the goalie can work is if the team in question gets the momentum going their way again and their offense has shown a marked improvement throughout the 3rd period, or if the opposing defense/goalie has shown signs of fatigue through the 3rd. If they've been mediocre all night, the offense has to sit back and play defense because the other team still has all the speed and scoring chances going for them. I also see pulling goalies as a morale killer, as it reminds the players that they're trailing and now they have to deal with not having their goalie to stop pucks.

Repeatedly pulling the goalie after multiple empty net goals is just ludicrous and makes coaches look silly. It's just one extra player, why not leave your goalie in and switch up the line combos for different chemistry?

Rant over, carry on.

I certainly have seen it work, and I do feel that it's more common than it was, but it's a desperation move for sure. It works best when the team pulling the goalie has a really strong defence - that makes it less of a recipe for getting a morale-killing empty net goal. When it's been a tight low-scoring game but the team is down one I can see it, but coaches seem to do it no matter what if they're down.

I agree that doing it repeatedly almost never works and usually ends up looking silly, but I think at that point they decide that they have nothing left to lose and go all in. It's not necessarily the best thing to do, but I can see why it's done.

22 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I want to see the Islanders make the finals. Just because it shows the Ottawa Senators that they messed up in getting rid of Lehner for a bag of pucks (or at least that's what it felt like). I sort of wanted San Jose to do well as well, for that very reason (for trading the team's heart and soul Karlsson) and Las Vegas (for trading away their runner up captain Mark Stone).

Basically, just to make our incompetent management feel stupid.

If all else fails, Toronto makes the finals and will be equally happy. Yes. I'm an Ottawa fan that doesn't have a problem with Toronto fans. I love Canadian hockey teams O_o

The trades the Senators have made this season have been baffling. Why trade away most of your best players for practically nothing, and then not even concentrate on rebuilding? I don't follow them too closely, but from the outside, it doesn't look like a good move.

1 hour ago, Remmirath said:

The trades the Senators have made this season have been baffling. Why trade away most of your best players for practically nothing, and then not even concentrate on rebuilding? I don't follow them too closely, but from the outside, it doesn't look like a good move.

Our owner is strapped for cash. He has no business owning a team, and is desperately biding his time. 

He cuts off stars once they reach potential, and thus demand raises at the end of the contracts. 

He then ships them off for prospects that will be cheaper. He runs on a shoestring budget, and only puts money in the team when they are deep in the playoffs. Rinse and repeat for the following season when people demand raises. 

This mentality turns away fans in droves, when you look at the empty arena that had one of the most dismal attendances this year. Fans have had enough. I'm a diehard fan, and barely watched any games.

Very hard to watch an uninspired team play. I watched the team during their dark days as a new franchise, and they played with far more heart.

Daniel Alfredsson's leaked comments speak volumes: "Hopefully we get a new owner".

When a player like that demands a trade, you know there are internal issues. He was a player that took huge pay cuts to remain with the team. You don't trade a player like Yzerman, just like you don't trade Alfredsson. That kind of heart is hard to find. 

I believe Ottawa is the only major hockey market that doesn't have a downtown arena. I would say only NHL market, but can't say so conclusively.

It's in the suburbs at the complete other end of where the bulk of the population resides. A solid 30 - 50 minute drive for a huge chunk of the population. This is in immaculate driving conditions. Most games are at 7. Most people head down after work. Enough said. 

Prices are sky high, so what does owner Melnyk do to fix this? Tarps off the upper level of seats, and then advertises the arena with hundreds of less seats to make numbers look less dismal o_O

He made a pitch for a downtown arena, but then got embroiled in a billion dollar lawsuit with the major developer.

Turns out he wanted the arena for free, and both government and developer refused to foot the entirety of the costs. These squabbles meant to be private became public due to the lawsuit. 

I mean, "Melnyk Out" became a rallying cry between fans. 

Look at Edmonton that is wasting McDavid's talent with the same level of incompetent ownership. 

Ah, that explains a lot. Unfortunate; hopefully some changes in management can occur.

25 minutes ago, Remmirath said:

Ah, that explains a lot. Unfortunate; hopefully some changes in management can occur.

The owner won't sell (if he ever does), until he can get high value for his team. 

Right now, what he would get for the team would be paltry, vs a playoff team playing downtown Ottawa. 

At that point no point in selling anyway, as you're getting high revenues if you sell out all playoffs. 

I don't see any end in sight, but am glad I love Montreal as well even though they didn't make the playoffs.

RoseGoesToYale

Big blow for the Caps losing Oshie. He generated quite a bit of offensive power for them last playoffs. We'll see how it affects the team going forward.

I'd be okay with Toronto, San Jose, or Isles (my favorite player's with them). Kinda erring on the side of Toronto, it'd be cool to see a Canadian team win a cup again.

11 minutes ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

it'd be cool to see a Canadian team win a cup again. 

It's been 26 years, so yes. :P

Alawyn-Aebt

As much as I like the Caps, they are so hard to root for. When they try they are good, when they don't they are dismal. There seems to be no middle ground.

They will probably lose, so go Maple Leafs and Islanders! And Sharks in the west.

The national NBCSN announcers are really annoying at times, are times they are biased for or against one team, not openly, but you can tell in word choice.

e.g., "[Goalie A] came up with an impressive save". vs. "that shot went straight into [Goalie B]'s glove"

It looked like the same shot, but you give one credit while the other not.

When you link all the announcing together throughout the entire game you can hear how they give one credit, while not the other one.

RoseGoesToYale

Yay! A team I was rooting for won a game! (Hint: It wasn't the Bruins)

1 minute ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

Yay! A team I was rooting for won a game! (Hint: It wasn't the Bruins)

Dallas?

RoseGoesToYale
2 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

Dallas?

Syracuse. On the verge of being swept, beat Cleveland 2-1!

4 minutes ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

Syracuse. On the verge of being swept, beat Cleveland 2-1!

Hahaha, take that Cleveland! Fucken Ohio thinking it's hockey hot shit.

RoseGoesToYale

Maybe the bunch of jerks'll do it and make Don Cherry mad 😂

Archived