Kimmie.

Will article 13and 11 affect AVEN?

Skycaptain

If a link posted to, say, YouTube or Facebook that shouldn't affect us, as they would be responsible for copyright. Same if a gif or meme is posted from an outside server. Where we could be liable is if someone creates something themselves and posts it directly onto AVEN, copies sizeable chunks of text from an article or bypasses a royalty collection. All of these already breach our ToS, and indeed we've removed items posted in breach of copyright laws. 

• Like 2

Kimmie.

So the link tax is nothng that matters here then?

FaerieFate
9 hours ago, Kimmie. said:

So the link tax is nothng that matters here then?

I had to deal with this a bit when I modded World Watch and when I created my threads for Q&A. Due to copyright laws in America, AVEN can't allow full articles to be copy-pasted on this site. Likewise with pictures. If such occurs, admods will either have to remove the post or the part that beaches these rules. 

I think on AVEN you can quote small sections of an article, summarize it, then link to the full article, as such would encourage viewers to read the article. 

If changes do need to be made, AVEN's BOD team would discuss the best way to keep AVEN within these laws then let admods know (we've had similar instances before, but I'm not too sure how much I'm allowed to divulge in that). I also know admins (dunno the mods, but I'd like to assume they are too) are particularly good at being like, "This legal thing could hurt AVEN. We should poke BOD and see what needs to be done."

And if BOD does step in then it's pretty important because they are careful to not step on admods toes.

So I'm assuming admods and/or BOD talked about this, and if no new rules came up then AVEN is already covered. 

• Like 2

Snao Cone

From my interpretation of that article, it's the hosting sites who would be responsible for this. AVEN doesn't host images or videos, except for avatars. Plus I'm not sure if the law will apply to a US server. Major sites like YT/FB/TW have servers and offices around the world, so this legislation will apply to them. I'm not a lawyer, though, so I could be wrong. As others have said, text-based content might be an issue here if these laws do apply to US-hosted sites, so that's worth looking into.