Janus DarkFox

The Online Harms Paper & AVEN

Janus DarkFox

Websites to be fined over 'online harms' under new proposals https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47826946

This new proposal in the UK government is rather concerning.  If it goes ahead, there will be repercussions such as fines for companies that don’t do enough to be fined or blocked from UK based search engines.

what would this mean for smaller forums not themselves based in UK.  Potentially little, though this white paper is in a very early ideas stage, what could this exactly mean for private charitable organisation forums outside the uk such as AVEN.

Probably little at the moment until details are laid out if this paper gains traction.  I know the forums such as this one strives for safe usage for all.

Id say it’s for the best to see if anything comes out of this. 🍰

Skycaptain

I'd say we would be be one of the least affected forums, because our content is very actively moderated, and traffic levels are comparatively low. 

The proposed legislation is aimed at the giants of social media, which, allegedly, can take an inordinate amount of time to remove inappropriate content 

• Like 5

Janus DarkFox

It’ll go after the larger companies, yet often online harms come from elsewhere then posted to larger companies that have little responsibility for 3rd party content.

I have a hunch that if more detail develops with this proposal, could disproportionately harm much more harmless social media outlets, the ‘free speech’ argument as suggested in the article.

Homer

Just when you think it can't possibly get any dumber...

Karst

We self-moderate pretty efficiently, so I don't think this would be likely to affect us very much.