Short article about a 105-year-old spinster

everywhere and nowhere

everywhere and nowhere

While this article doesn't mention asexuality, it's about a woman who decided early that she won't marry, won't have sex and never missed either. So, I would say, if that's not asexual spectrum, than what is?

Spinster turns 105 and is still a virgin

Plucky Clara Meadmore celebrates turning 105 today, proud to still be a virgin.

The spinster decided as a child she would never wed or have sex – and insists she has never missed it.

She said: “I’ve just never been interested in or fancied having sex. I imagine there is a lot of hassle involved and I have always been busy doing other things.

”I made my mind up at 12 never to marry and I’ve not gone back on that.”

Clara, born in 1903, instead spent her youth in Egypt, Canada and New Zealand before coming home in her 20s to become a secretary.

She added: “I grew up in an era where little girls were to be seen and not heard, so I had to stand up for myself and earn a living.

“Some men don’t like that and before long I was too old to marry anyway.”

But the OAP says she turned down several suitors.

She added: “I’ve never had a boyfriend or been bothered about relationships.

“When I was a girl you had sex only with your husband.

“I’ve had lots of platonic friendships with men but never felt the need to go further.” Clara now lives in a nursing home in Perranporth, Cornwall, and spends most of her time glued to Radio 4.

Best pal Josie Harvey, 72, who visits daily, said: “You’re as young as you feel. Clara is by no means 105 in many ways.

“Maybe never having a man under her feet has kept her young all these years.”

Clara will mark her birthday a day late with a glass of wine on Saturday.

And she pointed out: “I’m hardly likely to get drunk and do something silly at my age.”

GentlemanCambrioleur

Life goals.

I very much dislike the term "spinster." It always feels very deragatory. 

everywhere and nowhere
13 minutes ago, Firefly8 said:

I very much dislike the term "spinster." It always feels very deragatory. 

I like it. But then, my liking it is a gesture of taking over a term sometimes considered offensive and using is with a sense of pride - as has happened with words such as "queer" and many others. I'm proud to be a spinster.

@Nowhere Girl   I don't think enough people ever had a problem with the word, much less knew if others had a problem with it, for it to be at all considered reclaimed. I can't stand the word (even enough to say/type it again), but I know I may be the only one. 

everywhere and nowhere
4 hours ago, Firefly8 said:

@Nowhere Girl   I don't think enough people ever had a problem with the word, much less knew if others had a problem with it, for it to be at all considered reclaimed. I can't stand the word (even enough to say/type it again), but I know I may be the only one. 

No problem. I similarly hate the M word for "self-pleasuring" - see? I too dislike even typing it. It sounds kinda brutal to me, so I always use synonyms such as "self-pleasuring", "self-gratification", "autoerotic(ism)"...

Ya, I don't care for the M word either. I'm uncomfortable saying/typing it too. The difference between the M word and the S word to me is that the S word is (perhaps only to me, I admit) a slur against single women. The M word isn't a slur or derogatory for a group of people.

Divide By Zero

She's probably ace and aro. Given her age, she would have grown up in a time when sexual orientation and romantic orientation weren't known or understood so she probably isn't aware of those concepts.

And hats off to her for living to be 105!

LOL... proof that asexuals live longer.

Archived